SAU Community

Diy R34 Manual Conversion Using R33 Parts

E_Lu-SHuN

I had the chance to drive the 4door 33box converted rite after its diff been replaced, and now currently drive a standard manual 34 . I must say, sloppy really comes down to condition of the gearbox. We've put in a recon'd sII and i dont feel nothing unusual between the both to compare. unless you mean something else.

Cheers.

• 2 months later...

hey E_Lu-SHuN, what did you do with your auto gearbox if you don't mind me asking?

I've done the same conversion but for a coupe and have now got an auto gear box, dash cluster, gear surround etc sitting in my shed! just wanted to know what you did with yours so i can do the same!! :kiss:

Nice work,

may be very helpful if i cant find the right R34 in manual and have to go for an auto.

Last gearbox swap I did was on a Fiat 124cc, no hoist, no jack under the gearbox.

Just me and my dad under the car (it was up on stands), and essentially we pushed the gearbox up into position with our hands while lying flat on our back, took us 5 hours to get the thing in and bolted up....i wont make that mistake again!

...Next time I'll find a mate with a hoist, haha.

• 1 month later...

This is a great conversion!!! Finding a good condition 4-door 34 manual for sale is rare! Might buy a tiptronic and carry out the conversion this week. Thanks for the great advice!!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
cheers, thanks for that...will update more later with more pics from other members :(

Just wanted to say thanks to Khoa for taking the time out to write up and share the technical details on this conversion.

A truely international DIY article, as I'm probably the first person in the Northern Hemisphere (Ireland to be exact).

I can say that I've just completed this conversion using the same parts and its spot on.

The difference between the car now that its a manual, is like night and day. much more responsive!

Many thanks man for all the information.

Just to note, I used a series one gearbox and I think that the sensors are reversed. The car though that it was in reverse when it was in neutral. needless to say that it was a very late night!

If you want to check which sensor position you have just do the following. Put the gearbox into reverse, use a mulitmeter on diaode test and check for a circuit. If the multimeter buzzes just drop the stick back into neutral and make sure that you dont have a circuit anymore. Saves a lot of time.

Well done and keep up the good work.

John

• 1 month later...
Just wanted to say thanks to Khoa for taking the time out to write up and share the technical details on this conversion.

A truely international DIY article, as I'm probably the first person in the Northern Hemisphere (Ireland to be exact).

I can say that I've just completed this conversion using the same parts and its spot on.

The difference between the car now that its a manual, is like night and day. much more responsive!

Many thanks man for all the information.

Just to note, I used a series one gearbox and I think that the sensors are reversed. The car though that it was in reverse when it was in neutral. needless to say that it was a very late night!

If you want to check which sensor position you have just do the following. Put the gearbox into reverse, use a mulitmeter on diaode test and check for a circuit. If the multimeter buzzes just drop the stick back into neutral and make sure that you dont have a circuit anymore. Saves a lot of time.

Well done and keep up the good work.

John

and just to add to this the reverse wire is green and the white is neutral and use the thinner black for both on a R33

• 2 weeks later...

to anyone who can help me ..... i find a nice r32 that i like only problem is its auto ......

just want to know what paryts i need and how much it shuld cost for the parts + labour

btw its an r32 with an rb25de

cheerz please pm me

• 9 months later...

Hey champ, how did you connect the speed sensor/signal. The r34 auto plug doesnt fit into the manual gearbox btw i have a manual r34 gearbox. Any ideas?

Thanks. A quick reply would be great as im currently in the process and stuck lol.

Also which plug is the speed sensor from the r34 wiring loom.

Edited by DRFT31

• 5 months later...

Awesome guide mate. I now have an R34 GTT manual sedan here :(

It helped me gather all the parts and then I had a local garage do the conversion. The only things that were missing were the bellhousing bolts (I thought the ones off the auto box could be used, but obviously not) and my manual box needed a new speed sensor.

The guys were not so keen on leaving one of the clutch pedal bolts out so they modified the bracket to suit. On my car the R33 shifter gets into 1st 3rd and 5th easily without having to trim the gaitor, and it falls perfectly to hand so in my case I won't bother getting an R34 shifter.

Just have to wait for my new gear surround to turn up and It'll be done ;)

I had to go back to work so I only took it for a quick spin, but the difference is massive! Now I understand why people say it's like having a new car!

I'll have a low KM tiptronic box and shifter up for sale soon ;)

For anyone interested in rough conversion costs, here is my tally:

$1500 R33 manual Gearbox with shifter, pedals, flywheel, crossmember, clutch lines and cylinders

$680 new Xtreme DCB heavy duty clutch kit (incl. pressure plate and thrust bearing)

$10 new scopot bearing

$300 new speed sensor (from nissan)

$10 bellhousing bolts

$600 installation

-------------------

$3100 TOTAL

Would have been sub $3000 if not for the speed sensor. I was considering buying a manual skyline BUT in my opinion the risk of buying another car is that you can't always spot all of it's faults and I preferred to stick with my R34 because I KNOW it's in great condition mechanically and I've spent a lot looking after it.

Edited by R34mac

• 2 weeks later...