SAU Community

R32 Gtr And Small Single Turbo (sst) Upgrade

Hi guys,

There are lots of people going to Big Singles these days (T04Z, T51, T78 etc etc) and plenty using small low mounts, but I dont know of anyone in Aus using an SST upgrade. I was thinking along the lines of an HKS 3037 or 3240 in single form. Aiming for around 300rwkw (with 260 or there abouts cams). Has anyone tried a small(ish) single like this on an RB26? I remember a Bee R car in japan had this set-up (or similar). Could be quite cheap, around $5K I reckon, and a good alternative to buying twin GT-SS or 2530. I would think it should be VERY responsive too, maybe 1 bar by 3500 rpm?

Love to hear some thoughts or even better experience doing this.

A good topic!

Turbo technology (especially response versus peak power) has improved a lot in recent years.

I feel sure you could match or better the performance of two low mounts with a single terb and reduce cost/complexity at the same time.

Perhaps this is where the RB26 guys can learn from the RB25 experiences?

yeah, that's what I was thinking. I mean, I really only need 300rwkw max for club work, and some street fun and reckon something like a 3037 with 0.72 AR rear and 56T comp wheel would spool up VERY hard on an RB26 with some 260/260 9.XX mm lift cams.

plus it should be lighter than twin set-up

and not much more dough.

for the twin set-up I want I'd need:

HKS 2530s = $3600 approx

tomei or HKS dumps = $650

front pipes = $500

total $4750 plus fitting

for SST

HKS 3037 = $3000 approx

manifold = $1500 approx

wastegate = $1200 approx

intake pipework = $500

dump and front pipe = $400

ok, so I'm up to $6100

BUT, it would be neater, more room with a small single. nice wastegate noise :) and POSSIBLY more responsive for the same power as the 2530s, and if something goes wrong it's only one turbo to rebuild, not two.

Appart from the costs are there any other downsides? I really think if 300rwkw is the absolute max power goal, then this could be a good alternative to small twins.

yeah, I'm still debating it in my head. i'm heading to japan next week and was going to bring back a pair of either tomei or HKS dumps in preparation for a nice small twin set-up (probaly 2530s but maybe GT-SS), but thinking if I go the SST route, I'd be better off carrying back a 3037 or 3240 instead!

Yes interesting . One reasonably inexpensive way could be to use a T3 flanged cast exhaust manifold such as the HKS one intended for RB20/25's . Provided you could work around the exhaust bolt pattern difference of the RB26 head it gives you the option to use a GT3582R and one of their new integral wastegate turbine housings . In .82AR ratio this turbo should make reasonable all round performance on an RB26 and be simple and neat . The manifold has the option of external gate but this can be blanked off if need be .

Unfortunately the single low mount HKS RB26 manifold is large T4 flanged and hard to find nowdays . Trying to find an IW exhaust housing with this flange makes hens teeth look common . ATP do make a T4 flanged exhaust housing for the GT3582R in I think .82 and 1.06 AR ratios .

The HKS GT3240 was only sold in a T28 flanged modified HKS GT30 .87AR exhaust housing as far as I know . It uses I think a cropped GT35 turbine to GT32 dimensions so a bit of an orphan .

save yourself $1500 and don't buy the HKS turbo. get a genuine garrett GT30 or GT35. that 1500 bucks can be better spent elsewhere. i have no idea why people pay twice the money for a VERY similar turbo just because it has a japanese brand name on it?

I agree :D

But the issue is here and has always been here....

Does replacing twin turbo's on a gtr make it hybrid.

Lets face it guys.....a gtr is a track car this is why the twin turbos are there.

The BMW has just launched a twin set up and knows the advantages of this after so many years of Nissan

using them(2)

IS A GTR STILL A GTR IF YOU USE ONE TURBO?

Should be a topic...sticky.

The answer for me is NO.

Because most people Who convert are only after power figures and drag times..........and do not care about track use.

Get a DJetro PFC fitted ,this will do away with lag and use -7 or -9's..GARRETT.get a set of twin aftermarket dumps........you will have a highly responsive car over 300kws that you can race everyday and drive to work aswell....

Cheers

Tekin :(

I agree :D

But the issue is here and has always been here....

Does replacing twin turbo's on a gtr make it hybrid.

Lets face it guys.....a gtr is a track car this is why the twin turbos are there.

The BMW has just launched a twin set up and knows the advantages of this after so many years of Nissan

using them(2)

IS A GTR STILL A GTR IF YOU USE ONE TURBO?

Should be a topic...sticky.

The answer for me is NO.

Because most people Who convert are only after power figures and drag times..........and do not care about track use.

Get a DJetro PFC fitted ,this will do away with lag and use -7 or -9's..GARRETT.get a set of twin aftermarket dumps........you will have a highly responsive car over 300kws that you can race everyday and drive to work aswell....

Cheers

Tekin :D

so a gtr with a T04Z, T88, T51R etc isnt really a gtr?? im sure alot of big power gtr owners would love to have a word to you about that. And also you think that unless a gtr is going around a circuit it isnt a gtr either? yes it is an awesome track car, but it was designed to be an all round kick ass machine. Drag/circuit/...drift :( i think you should take a ride in a drag gtr with a big single and then tell us if u still think its a gtr or not!! and if u need a change of underpants

anyway sorry to digress, bee-r tried a sst on one of their gtr's. It had a 2.8ltr kit and used an internal wastegate 3037pros turbo. apparently cheaper than going the twin route (twin GT-SS, T517Z etc) and had awesome torque figues

so a gtr with a T04Z, T88, T51R etc isnt really a gtr?? im sure alot of big power gtr owners would love to have a word to you about that. And also you think that unless a gtr is going around a circuit it isnt a gtr either? yes it is an awesome track car, but it was designed to be an all round kick ass machine. Drag/circuit/...drift :D i think you should take a ride in a drag gtr with a big single and then tell us if u still think its a gtr or not!! and if u need a change of underpants

This is my point.........GTR's were made for the Track first...gtr32Bathurst....

Later they were developed into drag and then drift.

I am just stating what my thoughts on the history of the car is.

Hypothetically if we change the motor to say a V type and not straight 6 is it still a gtr?

And if we take away 4Wheel drive....and use it for drift with a gtst motor....is it still a gtr?

Beer-Baron....did not mean to dampen the thread, or high-jack it.

Good luck with your choice.... :(

Some of japans fastest circuit gtr's use singles as opposed to twins.. There are a billion choices and opinions about what should be done to a gtr and what they reprasent.. In the end its up to the individual. :D I'll be following this thread with keen interest too!

This is my point.........GTR's were made for the Track first...gtr32Bathurst....

Later they were developed into drag and then drift.

I am just stating what my thoughts on the history of the car is.

Hypothetically if we change the motor to say a V type and not straight 6 is it still a gtr?

And if we take away 4Wheel drive....and use it for drift with a gtst motor....is it still a gtr?

Beer-Baron....did not mean to dampen the thread, or high-jack it.

Good luck with your choice.... :D

well i'm sure the car is going to be well thrashed at the circuit

and is always going to be a gtr.

its power delivery characteristics may changed. but its still a gtr.

Edited by Angus Smart

Who cares what turbo is on there, thats not really what the thread is about.

How does a djetro make a car less laggy? That makes absolutely no sense what so ever.

There is no real evidence that i've seen on this forum that would make me believe thats even close to true.

So, getting back to the thread, i think for 300rwkw, it will be a tough ask to beat a GT-SS setup.

Although you will have cams, poofteenth of capacity and some extra RPM, it will be interesting as the GT30 (600hp) that i had would be smack on what your after.

And on the RB25, it was responsive, but not as good as the twins that ive seen on ferni's car.

Although in fairness the RB25 cams arent the same as RB26, which has a little weight in the results, but i wouldnt call it the be all and end all.

300rwkw ~20-21 psi. Which is exactly where the GT-SS/GT30 lie together.

I'll have my car back hopefully before chrissy and i'll try do a bit of a write up and get some dyno comparison if my graphs are still around @ Racepace

thanks nismoid. that is what I was thinking. 20 psi, around 300rwkw.

I know the generic garretts are cheaper, but I'm a brand wanker. and I have better contacts in japan than aus so I'm pretty confident that the HKS turbo wont cost me much more than an equivelant garrett.

what about a T78-33D? or are they borderline BFOT?

there was a t78-33d on here forsale the other day! this would be to big and laggy for stock motor wouldnt it? although i read a hpi and that CODE45 i think it was had that turbo with stock bottom end making about 330kw.. so would they be ok with low boost