SAU Community

setting base timing for rb20det

thats the question!

i know i have to use the CAS to set it.

can i use a normal timing light and a spark lead between coil and plug?

also do i need to turn any other timing advances off to get to base timing (put ECU into diagnostic mode etc)?

Thanks guys,

Karlos

ps anyone got a translated manual for this motor?

• Like 1

Ive now heard different opinions on what base timing for an RB20DET is. Ive heard 15 degree's 3 times, and 20 degree's twice. Which one is it?????

I found the car keeps dying just trying to set it around the 15 degree mark, runs fine at 20. This makes me think the people stating its 20 degree's are correct.

Red17

I dont see why it would make a difference, auto or manual....

Anyhow, if your car is stalling at 15 Deg, then you have a problem. You may not be seeing the right thing...

I borrowed a friends timing light as my one is a real cheapo! His told me 15 Deg from that wire coming off the igniter module, but with my timing light, it appeared to be bouncing all around the 20 - 30 Deg mark. So with my timing light, I put it on the wire that goes to coil #1, and it gave me the right reading.

Try using that as your reference point to see if your timing light is giving you the right readings from the loop wire off the igniter module.

• 17 years later...

hi, I found this in the workshop manual.

I use a spark plug lead connected to the no.1 coil pack and connect the other end to the spark plug, and take my timing light pick up off of this lead. I have gotten incorrect readings by about + 15 degrees using the loop wire at the rear of the engine. 

image.thumb.png.2e2a0bb045c09e24c24f4acc20f8996d.png