SAU Community

Turbo Charging A Commodore

Dingo

I know that this post could cop a fair bit of flamming etc etc, but I was just curious the other day, what kind of costs/things would be involved in Turbo charging a commodore say a VS,VT or VX?

Obviously Turbo charger, and a tune etc etc

but what kind of costs are we looking at?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me be the first to say :):)

Since the V engines you either looking at twins or one complex bitch of a manifold. Then you have issues with the stock compression and engine management. There was some kind of commy wagon with a turbo at the last dyno day I was at that pulled 195rwkW with over 200k's on the engine.

I'd say your better off selling and buying a V8 or maybe getting an XR6T if your into the aussie turbo. A v8 will definately sound better. Your not going to get a good answer on here, definately try a holden/commodore forum.

The compression in the engine is to high and you will need to deal with this first.

Then you need some savvy and choose a turbo that compliments the motor.

Get some custom work on inlet,manifold,exhaust and intercooler mountings.

You will need to re-tune your car and set up a boost controller.

After you have spend 1000+hours and $7000 and the thing is not working right

because you nhave other problems...ie fuel pump or injectors or mis-firing etc etc etc.

It would have been better off buying a gtr32 for $20000.

Hope I have been of some help. :):)

You are better off super-charging this gives you good gains and can bolt up to your set-up .

my mate single turboed his vr commodore, had the turbo at the front of the motor which melted the clutch fan then about a month later blew the motor, was only running 11psi but was pulling a nice 225rwkw's!

The thing pulled like crazy while it lasted.

Unless your going to rebuild the motor don't bother!

i think with a small budget you can bolt on a smallish turbocharger and get some good gains but the issue with the v manifold is a big problem

so you would have to go small twins. as long as you dont want captain insano power it should be reasonable ish, but it will all be custom, which is where the costs add up, i dont think there would be many off the shelf kits

I don't think I've ever seen such a bad collection of bad ideas put together in the v6's. From balance shafts, super long timing chains to pissweak conrods and water pump bolts that go through to the water jacket - they are a pitiful excuse for an engine. Pushrods??? They were supposed to go with the red motors and dinosaurs.

Edited by gtst25

Let me be the first to say :P:rolleyes:

Since the V engines you either looking at twins or one complex bitch of a manifold. Then you have issues with the stock compression and engine management. There was some kind of commy wagon with a turbo at the last dyno day I was at that pulled 195rwkW with over 200k's on the engine.

I'd say your better off selling and buying a V8 or maybe getting an XR6T if your into the aussie turbo. A v8 will definately sound better. Your not going to get a good answer on here, definately try a holden/commodore forum.

I've seen that car, he came to my work and bought some parts. I saw the sticker on his windshield saying "Ovaboost" and I was thinking wtf its a commonwhore.. Then he popped the bonnet and theres a turbo bigger than my head strapped to the side of it :) . He reckons when he got it done the standard auto lasted as far as him driving away from the workshop and planting it for the first time ahaha.

Car looked like a bit of a POS though, but a V6 wagon that runs 12s is a pretty impressive achievement