SAU Community

Forged Pistons and $$

Guest INASNT

Guest INASNT

With my power upgrade i want to replace the pistons also coz i know they r the first thing that are gonna give me problems when the boost starts getting up there.

Where and how much for a good set for the rb25?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by SHUTO-BOY

ask around for WISECO pistons

We just put a set of Wiseco's into a 3sgte.

For the price (about half of the HKS ones) they are great. Wiseco have a good name in the drag racing field and a few places speak highly of them.

Just as a comparaison, they were about half the weight of the standard pistons but will hold upto 700hp !!!

I'm pretty sure they are made in QLD.

J

P.S. - it was cool to see that each piston had a serial no. stamped into them :)

The Japanese tuning shops (HKS, Jun, Toda, Tomei, OS Giken, APexi, Veilside etc) buy their hard engine parts (piston, rods, camshafts, crankshafts, valves, valve springs, bolts etc) from manufacturers like JE, Carillo, ARP, Total Seal, Ross, TRW, Crane, Del West, Iskanderian, Harrop etc They just stick them in their boxes and double the price. There is nothing wrong or inferior about buying stuff from the original manufacturer.

My mechanic has just got a wicked set of forged pistons from the states, i think they are EAGLE but not sure, i will confirm and get a price. These things were super light, and can easily handle in excess of 600hp and they weren't that expensive.

While you got the motor apart you should at least replace the conrod bolts with H/D items, as these are usually the culprit for most blown engines.

Originally posted by INASNT

will they be about $1500 for a set of 6?

Got a price for you.

The 4 he got for the 3sgte were $1086, and that included all new rings and some sort of special pins as well.

They were the stock size (not oversized).

I hope that helps

J

Guest INASNT
Originally posted by Jay95R33

Got a price for you.

The 4 he got for the 3sgte were $1086, and that included all new rings and some sort of special pins as well.

They were the stock size (not oversized).

I hope that helps

J

so for 6 it will be about $1500 odd then.

if u put oversized in u gotta change sumthing else 2 dont ya? shortened rods?

Put in some nismo big end bearings, and some arp bolts while your in there...and if you really wanna load on the power, get the block o-ring as well....hell, even do the conrods while your in there....

Pistons might not be the first thing to go flying while ya turn up the boost mate... if ya wanna account for one thing, be prepared for something else to happen

Son of Sydneykid

Guest INASNT
Originally posted by Sydneykid

Put in some nismo big end bearings, and some arp bolts while your in there...and if you really wanna load on the power, get the block o-ring as well....hell, even do the conrods while your in there....

Pistons might not be the first thing to go flying while ya turn up the boost mate... if ya wanna account for one thing, be prepared for something else to happen

Son of Sydneykid

yes i could go fully sick and put in HT valve spring, bigger valve, race ported head etc etc etc, but i aint building a race engine, just something that can handle 250rwkw or so and not shit itself when i give it some stick

Guest Sir Bean

what turbo and what boost are you going to run to make this power?

Whatsisname is making 257rwkw on an untouched engine. He makes it on only 13psi though.

The JMS 33 drift car makes 300ish rwkw on a std engine at 1.5bar or so?

If you have a good condition, low km engine it probably wont be necessary to open up the motor, and as you say, your not building a race engine. But with that said, there is nothing like peace of mind!!

Id be very interested in what it costs you if you go ahead! (I like peace of mind)

Guest INASNT

Sir Beam

Whatshisnames car might not have broken anything, but who knows whats been done to our cars in japan before we get em!

I just want the piece of mind of atleast forgies coz i have seen 2 other r33's with around the same power as i am aiming for have engine failure!

Like sydneyking said, you upgrade the pistons and something else that you left standard will go bung .. So i'd be doing a stack of things at the same time while the engine is apart but its going to cost you heaps then.

Personally, I'd just putting your bigger turbo and seeing what happened. If the pistons crack or something else goes, then you spend all the money getting whatever replaced. Call it a live "stress" test for your engine :P

Special Piston Services in Melbourne (03) 9793 1110

They made the forgies for my Capri turbo engine using a

Ross blank! They makes slugs for AVO i know!

Have heard they use Arias or Ross blanks & then machine them to suit engine!

They can organise HPC coating of the pistons as well!