Jump to content
  • Welcome to SAU Community

    Welcome to SAU Community, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of SAU Community by signing in or creating an account.

    • Start new topics and reply to others
    • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
    • Get your own profile page, build reputation and make new friends
    • Send personal messages to other members.
    • See fewer ads!

    Consider joining our newsletter for the latest content updates

    Click here to register


JimX

How To Fix Tacho, R33 (maybe)

Recommended Posts

I removed the tacho in my R33. Then went around the circut board with a soldering iron and resoldered all connections ( they looked fine before hand )

Problem solved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, 

My car is a year 1996 ECR33 S2, just got it replaced with a S1 cluster due to RPM gauge drop to zero occasionally, now my Speedo is running lower speed than usual, seems like doing around 60 km/h instead of the actual 100 km/h(I gauge it by RPM needle at 3000), any idea what could be the problem ? Does S1 and S2 meter use the same signal voltage ? 

Please note I am not too sure if my S2 comes originally with a S1 or S2 meter cluster, I can't tell which is which.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, owtaman said:

Hi, 

My car is a year 1996 ECR33 S2, just got it replaced with a S1 cluster due to RPM gauge drop to zero occasionally, now my Speedo is running lower speed than usual, seems like doing around 60 km/h instead of the actual 100 km/h(I gauge it by RPM needle at 3000), any idea what could be the problem ? Does S1 and S2 meter use the same signal voltage ? 

Please note I am not too sure if my S2 comes originally with a S1 or S2 meter cluster, I can't tell which is which.. 

So at 3k you're doing 60 in 5th when previously it would be 100? Sounds like the cluster was modified for MPH or something? I was pretty sure the signals were the same and you can just swap the tacho into your S2 cluster to fix the RPM problem if that solves the problem for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just pulled mine out after it started flicking all over the place then sulking down at 6 o'clock for days...I resoldered the chip on the back of the tacho too but honestly it looked ok and if I hadn't had a degree in electronics I would have stuffed it for all time...the pins and solder pads are very small even with a desolder machine and magnifier I struggled.

I reckon looking at it it was more likely to be the screws that tighten on to the flexible plastic printed circuit board I gave them all a light tighten and It worked perfect when I put it back in and has stayed good for a week now.

Worst part apart from the chip was getting the plugs out to remove the cluster I made myself a tool to grab both sides and pull they are almost impossible by hand.

 

 

Edited by stewart1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, stewart1 said:

I just pulled mine out after it started flicking all over the place then sulking down at 6 o'clock for days...I resoldered the chip on the back of the tacho too but honestly it looked ok and if I hadn't had a degree in electronics I would have stuffed it for all time...the pins and solder pads are very small even with a desolder machine and magnifier I struggled.

I reckon looking at it it was more likely to be the screws that tighten on to the flexible plastic printed circuit board I gave them all a light tighten and It worked perfect when I put it back in and has stayed good for a week now.

Worst part apart from the chip was getting the plugs out to remove the cluster I made myself a tool to grab both sides and pull they are almost impossible by hand.

 

 

Ah the first time you do it... I remember. It's TIGHT. I've had mine out probably a dozen or more times now for various things and it takes me a minute to undo them.

I also tried the screws, as they seem to pass power to the gauge but it didn't help me. The second hand one I put in years ago now is still working perfectly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to bring up an old thread but just wanted to say that I fixed my tacho this morning by resoldering all the bits on the PCB board, even the main chip

I have zero soldering experience and get it working… after TEN years of having the broken tacho! :D 

Thanks for the instructions!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, EeLeYe said:

Sorry to bring up an old thread but just wanted to say that I fixed my tacho this morning by resoldering all the bits on the PCB board, even the main chip

I have zero soldering experience and get it working… after TEN years of having the broken tacho! :D 

Thanks for the instructions!

Funnily enough, two weeks ago my replacement tacho is now doing the same thing. I'll solder everything and see what happens. It makes sense that it's a dry solder joint since it's a sudden yet intermittent fault.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...