SAU Community

Rb25 Head Removal

aphid

hey guys,

curious as to know weather or not most people remove all accessories (ie intake manifold and turbo) from the head before pulling it off? had a bit of a search and turned up nothing :laugh:

cheers,

mark.

hey guys,

curious as to know weather or not most people remove all accessories (ie intake manifold and turbo) from the head before pulling it off? had a bit of a search and turned up nothing :laugh:

cheers,

mark.

it depends on if you can access the two little 10 mm bolts hiden at 7 oclock and 1 oclock if your standing in front of the car, looking at the motor. i cant remember, but there hidden. especially the front one.

take the turbo off, but may aswell leave the manifolds on, they make good handles when lifting it off, however the intake manifold adds heaps of weight.

and yea there are a couple of 10mm bolts "hidden" on the outside, as opposed to the "inside" where the head studs are

thanks for the advice so far guys, keep it coming :laugh:

by hidden 10m bolts do you mean under the cam cover? Haven't got this far into it yet, i've just got all of the intake piping detatched and fuel lines disconnected heat shields off and have removed the cam covers to make sure i have the right sized socket/allen key to undo the head studs.. now i'm working on unbolting the dump pipe from the joint just before the cat, f**king tight up these bolts are :D

take the turbo off, but may aswell leave the manifolds on, they make good handles when lifting it off, however the intake manifold adds heaps of weight.

and yea there are a couple of 10mm bolts "hidden" on the outside, as opposed to the "inside" where the head studs are

and by 10mm bolts do you guys mean the m6(10mm head) bolts of which there are 3 not 4. two at the back and 1 at the front i believe.

Youve just undone the headstuds and removed everything in sight, and the bitch still wont come off...then your 13 yr old brother handing you spanners says...it wouldnt be those m6 bolts holding the head down would it? haha...ohh funny but frustrating times.....

hha yeah 3 of them, need to remove the cam gears to get to the front one easily.

even worse on teh rb30e's, cant figure out how they even got the bolt in teh hole at the front lol

i use a engine crane, even with the head only, so manifolds stay on.

ah i look forward to it all tomorrow arvo when i finish work.. i got the shits with it tonight and ran out of light, decided to take the turbo then the exhaust manifold off.. i will put dads new rattle gun to good use tomorrow :(

ah i look forward to it all tomorrow arvo when i finish work.. i got the shits with it tonight and ran out of light, decided to take the turbo then the exhaust manifold off.. i will put dads new rattle gun to good use tomorrow :(

shouldnt need a ratlle gun for any of the bolts on the motor

jesus christ..

turbo is off, top half of intake manifold is off.. EVERY SCREW IN SIGHT IS OFF but the bitch still won't move! please.. help!

did you get the 3x 10mm head bolts off?

front one is behind the inlet cam gear

far out.. behind the inlet cam gear, sorry to be causing such a bother but how the hell does one get that off? it doesn't look like it's bolted on like the exhaust cam, or if it is the bolts are underneath the VCT cover bit on the actual gear.. i removed 3 out of the 4 bolts on that to check out if there was a spring underneath and indeed there was so that went back together pretty quickly.. any suggestions?

did you get the 3x 10mm head bolts off?

front one is behind the inlet cam gear

sounds like you need a bigger hammer..

recheck all the head studs and make sure you have all the little bolts out. theres nothing else except the headgasket holding it on.

All else fails hook your block and tackle up to the head and keep lifting until the front wheels just leave the ground then start smacking it with a hammer or 2 x 4!

works every time.

haha i like your style but i think i'll save it as a last resort :) now i know theres another bolt behind the intake cam it's just a matter of getting it off, and i now realise that there's also one behind the exhaust cam.. they're located pretty high on the head though so i'm not convinced that these are actually holding the block on.. how strong is the seal between the headgasket block and head?

sounds like you need a bigger hammer..

recheck all the head studs and make sure you have all the little bolts out. theres nothing else except the headgasket holding it on.

All else fails hook your block and tackle up to the head and keep lifting until the front wheels just leave the ground then start smacking it with a hammer or 2 x 4!

works every time.

far out.. behind the inlet cam gear, sorry to be causing such a bother but how the hell does one get that off? it doesn't look like it's bolted on like the exhaust cam, or if it is the bolts are underneath the VCT cover bit on the actual gear.. i removed 3 out of the 4 bolts on that to check out if there was a spring underneath and indeed there was so that went back together pretty quickly.. any suggestions?

you will need to remove the inlet cam gear, yes there is a spring behind it.

i made some pics for you

post-5157-1164636664.jpg

post-5157-1164636674.jpg

post-5157-1164636694.jpg