MearCat

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

snip...

I would most likely be keen, as long as it looks as close to factory as possible (including the "grain" effect in the plastic)...

I have been in contact with my fibreglass fabricator over the weekend and they have told me that the grain/wrinkle effect (to give the pods a "factory" look) should not be a problem to put into the moulds :dry:

Hi Alan

Would it be possible to get some measurements of how wide and high the pod is for the stagea in clock position.

also just to be a real pain a picture of how it looks from the back of the pod/front of the car/windscreen. one of the three will be sweet mate

sorry for the fuss

ian

Sure thing! Off hand, the width of the double pod is about 150-160mm and height at the front is 80mm.

The pics so far are only of the plaster mould and I'm making the fibreglass prototypes this week (after work each day!). I will get some pics of different angles later week and post them up. I will be making a single pod for the clock replacement as well but will post pics of that too when it's done.

what do these look like from the front of the car? are they sealed or open? pic maybe ? (r33 in question) thanks

All the pods that I do are completely sealed (hollow) to allow each person to cut the appropriate holes for the gauges/wires/hoses etc. If you have a look at this pics of all the other pods on my webpage http://people.aapt.net.au/~mearcat/Pod and look at the pic of the Mazda3 single gauge pod, the R33 pod looks exactly the same from the front of the car.

As for the Stagea centre pods, here are a couple of pics from the front of the car (both are very similar as you can see) :

Single : post-1179-1165839484.jpg

Double : post-1179-1165839535.jpg

Thanks again to Wildcat & MrGTST for loaning their car(s) to be able to fabricate the prototype pods. The three pod designs for the Stagea are now complete. The designs are :

1) Single gauge pod at the base of the A-pillar

2) Single gauge pod to replace clock in the dash

3) Double gauge pod to replace clock in the dash

As before, see my webspace http://people.aapt.net.au/~mearcat/Pod for the most recent pictures. I have edited my previous post (directly above) to show more current pics of what the pods look like from the front of the car. Further comments are welcomed. What do you guys/gals think of the new single pod (clock/dash mounted)?

These designs will be sent off to the fabricators within a fortnight. Due to Xmas and New Year, they cannot provide any accurate lead times for the small batch to be finished but I am hoping that they will be ready by mid-late Jan.

-Alan

• 1 month later...

Update :

Approx 3 weeks ago, I posted the Stagea pod designs as well as 5 other pod designs to the fibreglass fabricator. Unfortunately, the box with all the pods has gone AWOL. Thanks to a screw up by Australia Post, tracking is not actually available even though I paid for it! So hopefully the pods will turn up soon and fabrication can begin.

-Alan

• 2 weeks later...

HOORAY!!!

The box with the Stagea (and other) gauge pod designs has been located and is due to sent on to it's rightful addressee this week. For me, that's a HUGE worry that has been resolved - that one box contained well over 2 months worth of full-time weekend work. For you guys & gals, it means that the pod fabrication can begin soon.

I sincerely apologise to anyone who has been put out by this delay, but it was out of my hands and could do nothing until the box was located.

I will post updates as they happen...

-Alan

Just a question, I know what it looks like underneath where the clock sits there on the dash, has anyone thought how they are going to be able to run the wiring/tubing up to it or down from it?

The only reaosn i ask is right underneath is a big fat squarish duct that has the very side vents and windscreen vents running out of it, and it might be a bit tricky to get the required wiring etc to it.............?

that's not a problem ska. there's plenty of room to run gauge wires down around the centre vents and into the area behind the stereo.

I have three defi gauges mounted where the clock used to be atm,and it took all of 5 min to mount them and run the cables down to the controller on my fuse box cover.

Justin...

UPDATE :

The fabricator has received the box of pods a few days ago and I have notified them that the Stagea gauge pods have priority over other designs. Moulding and fabrication is due to begin late next week with the delivery of the small batch arriving 1st/2nd week in March.

Prices are now confirmed and are as follows :

Single gauge pod (base of A-pillar) - $79

Single gauge pod (clock replacement) - $95

Double gauge pod (clock replacement) - $109

Please PM or email me at [email protected] to confirm your pre-order.

-Alan

if you can make one that replaces the top of hte steering column with 2 or 3 gauges i would get it. i hate things on my dash

Sorry - but I don't intend on making designs of that type.