MearCat

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hmmm, guages are on special at Nengun at the moment.

Will a 60mm guage fit in the centre (clock-replacement) pod, Alan? I'm both too tired and too lazy to read back at the moment...

Hmmm, guages are on special at Nengun at the moment.

Will a 60mm guage fit in the centre (clock-replacement) pod, Alan? I'm both too tired and too lazy to read back at the moment...

Indeed they are. All my gauge pods are designed to fit up to and including 60mm gauges (and approx 40mm depth)

www.mearcat.com.au is now available and has all the current photos of the Stagea (and other) designs but the online store will not be launched until I get more of a range available for purchase.

-Alan

Hmmm, maybe I'm still being picky, but I kinda wished they "dipped" into the dash a bit to slightly hide the bottom of the guage (where there's no readings anyway)... In my opinion, if it was a bit lower-profiled, it wouldn't stand out too much (or would stand out less).

Dunno if you've looked into that, maybe it's not an option due to available space or lack thereof.

Once the clock has been popped out, there not a huge amount of space in the dash opening. The gauge pod are also angled towards the driver which also reduces the amount of space to work with. I've looked back at all the photos I took during the protoyping process and I believe that the profile (height) of the clock replacement pods couldn't be reduced by any more than 5mm and still comfortably fit a 60mm gauge height & depth.

I have been in contact with my fibreglass fabricator over the weekend and they have told me that the grain/wrinkle effect (to give the pods a "factory" look) should not be a problem to put into the moulds :)

Is this how they were eventually produced? Do they come painted? I currently have a 52mm boost guage zippy tied to the top of my steering colum, just behind the steering wheel, which I would probably stick into a double clock replacement, guess I'd have to figure out what other guage to stick in there :) Or just buy a single one, but I rather the look of the double..................... how many did you get as it might be a while till I can afford it...........

Ska - The final product is undercoated and pre-painted matt black. At this point, I am getting 15 of each of the three designs made. If there enough demand to get more fabricated, I will get them done while I'm getting all my other designs moulded.

Since a lot of the designs I have come in a single and double, I was contemplating setting up an exchange (trade-in) type system. If you want to upgrade to a gauge pod that holds more gauges, you can get 50% cash back on the orginal one (as long as it's is good condition) and buy the new one at full price. Any comments on that would be appreciated.

Once the clock has been popped out, there not a huge amount of space in the dash opening. The gauge pod are also angled towards the driver which also reduces the amount of space to work with. I've looked back at all the photos I took during the protoyping process and I believe that the profile (height) of the clock replacement pods couldn't be reduced by any more than 5mm and still comfortably fit a 60mm gauge height & depth.

Fair enough...

Yeah, there isn't too much room, and I've only really had a quick look at it, so my idea probably isn't viable...

I'm with Ska, I'll have funds soon and will let you know. Are they still around they $90 mark?

Oh, and do they just "clip" in like the clock does/did?

Prices haven't changed from the post from a few weeks ago, but to reiterate :

Single gauge pod (base of A-pillar) - $79

Single gauge pod (clock replacement) - $95

Double gauge pod (clock replacement) - $109

The pods are fixed down by double sided tape, which as long as you buy 3M heavy duty or something good like that and not some cheapie stuff, it will hold it no problems at all.

Edit : In fact thinking about it more, the way the three Stagea pods sit into the clock "hole", you could actually get away with something like velcro (as used with dashmats), but it is up to the individual.

Prices haven't changed from the post from a few weeks ago, but to reiterate :

Single gauge pod (base of A-pillar) - $79

Single gauge pod (clock replacement) - $95

Double gauge pod (clock replacement) - $109

The pods are fixed down by double sided tape, which as long as you buy 3M heavy duty or something good like that and not some cheapie stuff, it will hold it no problems at all.

Edit : In fact thinking about it more, the way the three Stagea pods sit into the clock "hole", you could actually get away with something like velcro (as used with dashmats), but it is up to the individual.

Sweet, thanks Alan.

Hmm, velcro might be an issue for the security-conscious... I think double-sided tape will be the way I eventually go.

• 2 weeks later...

The Stagea pods have arrived today and I just need to confirm fitment to a Stagea in the next day or two. Once that has been done and confirmed, I'll announce details for final costs, payment etc

-Alan

saw these last night when they were getting tested they are looking awesome..Alan has done an awesome job :thumbsup:

Good luck on the weekend Alan, hope all goes well :laugh:

Thanks to Wildcat (Kirstie) for allowing me to test fitment on their Stageas last night :pirate:

This post is now to let you all know that the MEARCAT gauge pods for the Nissan Stagea (all pods fit both Series 1 & 2) are now available for purchase. Updated pics of the final items (prepainted in black) can be found on my website http://www.mearcat.com.au/Pods and prices are as quoted above. Please email me at [email protected] with your order and will advise on payment options/details (Paypal (VISA) or bank deposit).

Please note that I am getting married this Sunday so there may be a delay in replying to your email and getting the order out - but only by a day or two :)

Regards,

Alan