SAU Community

Got A Gizzmo Ibc, Urgent I Think Mine Is Stuffed!

WogsRus

I got the controller and now have downloaded a few manuals of their site to see the newest one.

I am a bit confused in relation to how to set the boost, is the boost set by changing the selenoid duty, or do you simply do the setup procedure and then setthe boost to say 12PSI?

Can somone doa point by point post for me in regards to setup.

UPDATE please read on

Edited by WogsRus

ok setting them is good fun

to set the boost level you have make the car boost to the desired level i.e. 12 psi

after that you can play with the Gain (determines how close/far from desired boost level the solenoid begins to activate). takes a little playing around to get exactly where you want it.

hope that helps

RellikZephyr

Edited by RellikZephyr

Ok lets see if i have it right

1) Install it all ect ect.

2) with the duty cycle set to 11% as defult, go for a drive and see what happens, ie what boost does it come up to. (YES/NO)

3) Once you see that the boost is say, 4psi, up the duty cycle to get to desired boost level say 12psi. (YES/NO)

4)Continue the cylce untill you have exactly the boost you desire, this can be done for 4 individual boost settings. (YES/NO)

5) Set the Gain/Response. This is done by adjusting the gain to bring boost quicker, this has to be set to a max, before boost starts to overshoot and flactuate. (YES/NO)

Is this how to do it, as per these instructions.

So you set the duty of the selenoid from (0-100%) to give the desired boost, not the set the boost and the computer works out the duty.

IBS_Instruction_Ver1.05.pdf

1) Yes.

2) Yes. But if duty cycle too low desired boost may not be reached so up duty cycle and try again, try not to overshoot(duty cycle) too much (might break turbos etc) also if duty cyle too high can produce surging and extra lag

3) No. Once duty cycle changed desired boost level must be reset (driven up to)

4) Yes. But meant to be done after step 5

5) Yes. The closer to maximum gain, the more unstable the boost can be. Min(0) Gain, stable boost but minimum respose. Max Gain, solenoid begins opening at 11 psi (for 12 psi setting) therefore quicker boost response but may suffer from boost instability.

For my GTR Gain set at approx 2 psi below desired boost level for good response and stability

N.B Duty Cycle can only be between 10% - 90%

Yes i set duty cycle and drove to desired boost Computer will NOT decide duty cycle for you

Hope that answers your questions if not ask more

RellikZephyr

i got it all up and connected, but i need a longer vac hose as i am puting my gizmo in the ashtray spot, and the fire wall gromet is on the pasanger side, so i need about 2m of hose. But i understand how to do it, so hopefully it will work well.

How do you find it working on your car, spikes or anything like that?

Ha Ha Thats awesome thats the same place i got my IBC in the ashtray no defect notice for me

its working good now

but it wasnt set up correctly a little while ago and i was getting lots of lag and some spiking, so make sure your happy with the setting

but all is good now holds boost quite accurately (+/- 0.5 psi approx)

and response is pretty good i get full boost (14psi) by approx 3700 rpm

RellikZephyr

not sure of my exact settings cant remember all i do remember is gain is set to about 2 psi below desired boost, duty cycle i just played with until i got desired boost level

Boost Controller is an illegal modification because it alters the emmisions of the car

RellikZephyr

DAM IT my controller is stuffed or something. I got it all running and at %10 duty, max psi is 10.6, which is weird and makes me think that my wastgate is stuffed, simply because at %10 duty it should be closer to 8-9 psi as it is open straight to wastage. Anyway at 25% still max 10.6 psi. 50% still 10.6psi.

Now with the stock controller i was getting 10.6 and with a bleed valve i got 12psi or 14 what ever i wanted.

So i tested the selenoid, pulsed it with a 9V tester, all good, closes nicely, tested all the plugs all good, pluged it up and tested the output on the selenoid form the controller and at 10% duty it was a tiny 2.3V. The selenoid hardly makes a noise.

The boost is VERy slow to come on, this is due to the selenoid not closing as it is a normaly open setupm so no power and vents straigh to the wastgate.

HELP ME, is my controller stuffed, what setting do you guys have? what duty, what response ect?

How laud is your selenoid when operating??????

I am using number 2 and 3 inputs outputs on the selenoid.

Edited by WogsRus

Sounds similar to a problem i had initially but mine was 13.5 psi i could go higher to say 15 psi but couldnt go lower

but when i fixed it all i did was reset and lower the duty cycle boosted to 9 psi and played with gain

but if yours is only at 10% duty...hmmm...?

I will have a closer look at my settings and get back to you

but keep playing with it when i first had mine put in i thought my wastegates were set at 13.5 psi cause i couldnt go lower then with bleed valve could get 9 psi (which is where i thought i should be)

i just played with the setup and now is all good

RellikZephyr

well i talked the the guys at Autobarn, and they recon the controller is stuffed, mainly because you can not hear the selenoid doing anything at all. So a new controller will be here tomorrow and we will try again.

got a contact for the number for RAY, SirRacer?

how do you know your gain settings are 1.5psi below the target boost ect? My controller is all in %. Anyway it decided to work a little today. i had everything set at 100% and the boost shot up and then went crazy, hit 16psi without knowing it. Turbo still in one peace thank god.

The problem i am having, is that it appears there may be some issues with my wastegate. below 4500rpm the boost is steady at 7psi, and above it shoots up to 10psi, eaven with no boost controll, ie. direct coupled wastgate to IC piping. I pulled the cover off and checked the wastgate, and by presurising it with a pump, i could see it move a good 3cm, the wastage arm that is, I presume that is enough. I took the arm off to ensure that it has not moved or something, and it appears to be ok. The wastgate shuts nice and firm, but the boost overshoot has me warried. It makes me think that my wastgate is too small or something.

Now the car is a stock r33, with a FMIC, HPS pod, Flyen 3" belmouth dump, no cat and 3" exhaust. SAFC II tuned pump, etc etc and stock turbo.

I was also wandering if it can be the dump pipe or the cat, causing turbulance or something of that nature? Can it be my turbo dying as well?

ANYONE help. Can you also get a softer spring for the turbo to allow for better boost controll?