SAU Community

High-mount Vs. Low-mount Turbos

Usually big turbos are high mounted as there isnt enough room to fit them low mount, almost all factory turbos are low mount, there is far less heat dissipation with a low mount, as there is generally less manifolding to radiate heat, and low mounts are cast manifolds from the factory which give off less heat. Generally IMO high mounting a standard turbo is a waste of time, all it does is create a lot more heat in the engine bay.

I've seen a TA45 low mounted, its all to do with manifold design... although the twincam RB's leave a bit less room than thier SOHC brothers.

In saying that, i had a GT30 lowmounted, which means a GT35 would fit there aswell and other frames to boot

well most cops now days know what there looking for....also you can low mount those tubos but, when you have a gt3040 etc a 4"intake pipe combined with a z32 or q45afm, and pod filter, abd a boost controller in there they will look anyway. But i find high mount setups are much easier for cooler piping and for external wastegates........