SAU Community

Jjr Upper Camber Arms

Richo

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well SK, I am sorry to say that you are terribly wrong, I speak from personal experience and salad here can back me up on it, since he helped me out putting the bushes on.

I can believe that you go around telling people that the whiteline bushes give as much negative camber as any other aftermarket arm, when we couldnt get even -2.3 degrees from them!!

People if you want decent negative camber, DO NOT get this bushes you WILL waste your money as I did.

Cheers

Ric

Hi Ric, I have measured the arms themselves (centee of bolt to centre of bolt), that is the ONLY real meaningful measurement. It is pretty useless comparing static camber from one car to another. Every car is different, plus ride height affects the static camber readings a lot on Skylines. Then you have the effect of caster on the static camber readings.

I will emphasise, if you need that much negative camber then you don't have enough antiroll. You are sticking a bandaid over the problem, much better to fix the real problem.

:D cheers :D

I am running the whiteline swaybars front and rear and also 10 and 8 coilovers so you tell me how I am sticking a bandaid over the problem.

Now what I want to know is if there is a Whiteline kit that comes with inner and outer offset bushes? because this one came only with outer.

Cheers

Ric

Hi Ric, I have measured the arms themselves (centee of bolt to centre of bolt), that is the ONLY real meaningful measurement. It is pretty useless comparing static camber from one car to another. Every car is different, plus ride height affects the static camber readings a lot on Skylines. Then you have the effect of caster on the static camber readings.

I will emphasise, if you need that much negative camber then you don't have enough antiroll. You are sticking a bandaid over the problem, much better to fix the real problem.

:) cheers :)

I am running the whiteline swaybars front and rear and also 10 and 8 coilovers so you tell me how I am sticking a bandaid over the problem.

Now what I want to know is if there is a Whiteline kit that comes with inner and outer offset bushes? because this one came only with outer.

Cheers

Ric

Does it have a front strut brace? I iassume it does.

What size stabiliser bars? You should have a 27mm front and a 24 mm rear

What settings on the bars? Are you adjusting them for driver feel as well as tyre temperatures?

What shocks?

What settings on the shocks? You should have lots of low velocity bump wound in.

What caster settings? Remember you are using opposite lock, hence introducing positive camber on counter steering to what is effectively the outside wheel. Too much caster means you are removing negative camber whenever you apply opposite lock.

Are you still running the standard rubber inner bush on the front lower control arm? If so, you are loosing dynamic camber when the bush contracts away from the counter steered outside wheel.

There is no "retail" Whiteline kit for R32's that comes with both inner and outer adjustable bushes. But lots of guys have been using 2 kits for several years, myself included. I am currently working on having Whiteline issue a 2 new "competition" kits for R32's. The first kit has 2 sets of adjustable bushes and no non adjustable bushes. The second kit is for guys who already have an adjustable kit and need more adjustment (ie; it deletes the non adjustable bushes from the current kit). Testing at the moment and I expect release early in the new year.

As I said previously, throwing more and more static negative camber at it is a band aid, you need to work on increasing the anti roll and fixing the dynamic camber change. Then you won't have to use so much negative camber, which means it will respond better on turn in, hold it's line easier and be more effective under brakes due to the increase tyre contact patch.

:P cheers :)

I can only get 0.5 and 1.5 on my front end.

Is it possible to use two sets of bushes to get more camber?

R32 front upper control arms ("I" shaped) are different to R33/R34's front upper controla arms ("Y" shaped). Plus R33/34's have different sized bushes in the front and rear inner mounts of the "Y" and they are both different to the outer bush. R32''s have the same sized bushes in the inner and outer mounts.

As posted above I am working on the R32, nearly finished testing in fact. But I haven't even started on the R33/34. It is next on the agenda and I will need an R34 victim, sorry tester (that's you). Obviously I will test it on our R33.

:P cheers :)

Yes I have strut brace front and rear as well.

The swaybars are F27 R24 thats correct, I have them set to soft on the front hard at the rear.

Coilovers are ISC F10 R8, mid to soft settings in damper for the front, full hard for the back.

Caster is 6.5 degrees both sides, toe -0.01 both sides.

I will check to see if the lower arm has the factory rubber bushes. I assume they would be the rubber ones since I havent change them, unless someone did it previously in japan.

I would hope that the "second kit" will be a lot cheaper, than the normal kit since its only half of it. Hopefully is not too far away to get those kits so I can get that little extra adjustment that I need.

Cheers

Ric

When people say I run to much camber on the front I tell them to look at the V8 supercars. They use big neg camber on the front, so it must be good for turning at high speeds. Im sure they would have big sway bars too. So neg camber on the front is not a bandaid cure by anymeans.

V8 Supercars run a tyre using completely different construction. They dont use wishbone front ends...plus they actually have the shock sophistication to generate high enough levels of grip to need that sort of camber

Not saying you are wrong, just thinking out loud

Yes I have strut brace front and rear as well.

The swaybars are F27 R24 thats correct, I have them set to soft on the front hard at the rear.

Coilovers are ISC F10 R8, mid to soft settings in damper for the front, full hard for the back.

Caster is 6.5 degrees both sides, toe -0.01 both sides.

I will check to see if the lower arm has the factory rubber bushes. I assume they would be the rubber ones since I havent change them, unless someone did it previously in japan.

I would hope that the "second kit" will be a lot cheaper, than the normal kit since its only half of it. Hopefully is not too far away to get those kits so I can get that little extra adjustment that I need.

Cheers

Ric

try lowering your spring rates and backing off the damper settings for the back and the car might grip some more :happy:

^^^So, would changing the damper settings for the back, would give me more grip at the front? :stupid:

i assume your drifting the car, since your a mate of salad's, then lowering the rear damper will give you more rear grip, and more corner speed. stiffening everything up to make it break traction at the drop of the hat is not a good way to set up a car

^^^we'll try that for sure. The thing is that I dont have much power in my car so I I set it up that way to help out to loose traction easier at the rear.

However, with the new mods the car is putting out a bit more power now and I could tell today that the rear was just way too loose, but before I could so anything, I snapped a drive shaft and that was the end of it, tow truck home. :action-smiley-069:

Cheers

Ric