SAU Community

R32 Gts4 Brake Upgrade For Track Use?...

luke20t

hey all

i own a hr31 skyline and recently purchased a r32 gts4 4door skyline with a rb26.

i would like to do a bit of track work every now and again to really open her up!

the car has stock brakes at the moment and i really want to ugrade them but without spending anymore than $1500.

the car aslo has ABS

are r33 brakes much of an upgrade?

would the lines match up properly for the GTS-4?

could u guys tell me a good setup without goin over my budget of $1500?

thanks

luke

you could go with R33 GTS-t front rotors and calipers if you wanted... they are the same diameter (296mm) as R32 GTR (non-brembo) but are 2mm narrower in width (30mm as opposed to 32mm i believe).

not sure if you'll need to modify your lines or not... it's quite possible though.

to be honest, i can't really fault the standard R32 brakes (although with slotted DBA4000 rotors) on the track, with some good fluid and good pads, but i don't have as much power as you would, so it could be a different kettle of fish.

I have a RB25DET in my GTS4, pushing 180kW at all 4. What I've done with mine:

Slotted rotors all round.

Braided brake lines (probably the best mod) all round.

I used to have problems with pedal fade, but the braided lines seem to have almost eliminated that. Had a day at Simmons plains a while ago, and the brakes worked well all day.

And, if you keep the fluid fresh (ie change annually), it should pull up well all day, every day.

i don't see how changing to braided lines would help with fade resistance....

fade is to do with either boiling the brake fluid, or your pads not being of the right heat range and overheating basically.

braided lines addresses neither of these.

what it WILL give you, is a slightly solider pedal feel, as they will stop the line expanding/ballooning ever-so-slightly under hard braking. (though unless your standard rubber lines are very crap, you won't really notice the difference)

the Just Jap brakes are the best value for money by far. brand new 8 piston calipers on 356mm rotors with pads and braided lines for $2,200

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...howtopic=112347

I know you don't want to spend that much but nothing comes close to that price, I paid 1500 for used 4 spot brembos with used pads and used rotors a couple of years ago.

r33/34 gtr brembo brakes are the best bang for buck. dont waste your mony on slotted rotors n shit cos they do nothing for better braking.

you gotta get bigger discs.

but if thats out of your budget just use some really hi temp brake pads, such as sbs duel carbon or ds3000's. and good brake fluid

the Just Jap brakes are the best value for money by far. brand new 8 piston calipers on 356mm rotors with pads and braided lines for $2,200

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...howtopic=112347

I know you don't want to spend that much but nothing comes close to that price, I paid 1500 for used 4 spot brembos with used pads and used rotors a couple of years ago.

i'm REALLY dubious about these things, purely because they are an unknown entity...

they have not had rigorous testing, they are not proven, they are cheap, and (possibly) nasty...

i don't want to trust my car/my life to something that is unproven.....

duncan where was these 355mm rotors at?

I can't see it in that thread either, but they definately have them in stock I was going to get them instead.....but clearance to 17" rims I needed to run was a problem

i'm REALLY dubious about these things, purely because they are an unknown entity...they have not had rigorous testing, they are not proven, they are cheap, and (possibly) nasty...i don't want to trust my car/my life to something that is unproven.....

I agree with the concern, there is nothing more important than brakes. But its not right to say they are untested and unproven, they have been used on a heap of cars including track use.

I bought a set a few weeks back and will be running them on my race car on the track, and at Targa Tas next year.....I'll let you know if I have any problems. At least 3 other gtrs will be running them at Targa as well