SAU Community

Rb26dett In A R32 Gts-4 4 Door

Pull out RB20.......put in 26....few connections here, few hoses there......hey presto drive away.

Probably one of the easiest conversions you'll do.

wouldnt i need to change computer, wiring harness, engine mounts...etc

How much would i pay for a rb26?

will a gtr box bolt up to my gts4 4wd system?

i have a rb26 in my 4 door gts-4

you need the engine, harness, ecu

can keep the same engine mounts

yeah gts4 and gtr boxes are pretty much the same

i recon 6-7 grand for the gtr gear + labour...

Thanks mate good to know.

Did you do the conversion or buy the car like that?

Can you recommend anyone in south east qld to do the work?

I would add some more $$ onto what like20t said... mainly to change out the turbos.

They are the last thing you want to fail within the first 12 months, and its possible that it will happen.

So if you change them out while the motor is there, it'll save you some coin later, also fit the dump pipes aswell.

Pushes it closer to 10k, but will save you a good 1-1.5k & potentially a motor in the long run

Thats assuming your not leaving it standard of course

Do not forget the intercooler and piping is different, as is the fuel pump and airbox

All these things need to be considered when adding up the dollars

Best is to grab a full front cut to get all the bits, except fuel pump.

Prices range between $4K-7K

GTS-4 box is not as strong as a GTR box

That's why GST-4 box is worth around $500 and GTR are $800 upwards approx.

Try Zoom Auto Imports for the install

• 1 year later...

Maybe looking at doing this in the future, so basically I need the rb26 ecu, wiring harness etc, and it should drop in? Currently running a 25. As I asked around today and one of the local shops recommended using an aftermarket ecu as it wouldnt work well with the 26 ecu?

Maybe looking at doing this in the future, so basically I need the rb26 ecu, wiring harness etc, and it should drop in? Currently running a 25. As I asked around today and one of the local shops recommended using an aftermarket ecu as it wouldnt work well with the 26 ecu?

Thats completely b/s.. why would a 26 ECU not work with an RB26DETT?

And for the record..

GTS4 boxes have a shorter 1st to 3rd (positive) and I think a 4th too that GTR's but everything else is the same.

And on a side note.. you will also need a GTR intercooler and piping at very least as the standard RB20/25 Side mount intercooler will not mate with the rb26.

Also.. 100% positive you will need a new fuel pump.. an rb20 will not be able to cope with an RB26DETT - GTR pump will do and is a straight drop in..

Edited by GTS4WD

Thanks for the info, I was thinking that, although maybe he thought I wanted to run the 20 ecu, would think the 26 ecu wouldn't be too exxy? Car has a fair few mods already, has a GTR cooler, and a 2nd hand GTR fuel pump and other assorted bits, currently running a 25 in the car.

Honestly mate, figure out how much it costs, then triple it. Its always the way.

I did an rb26 conversion in my r32 gtst and although it seems simple, there were still a few problems. Mainly with the power steering. I did a single turbo conversion tho.

If you are not too attached to your car, id seriously think about selling it and put the money into a gtr. Try to capitalise on someones elses loss.

Shaun.

Honestly mate, figure out how much it costs, then triple it. Its always the way.

I did an rb26 conversion in my r32 gtst and although it seems simple, there were still a few problems. Mainly with the power steering. I did a single turbo conversion tho.

If you are not too attached to your car, id seriously think about selling it and put the money into a gtr. Try to capitalise on someones elses loss.

Shaun.

Outta interest, what P/S issues did you have dude?

For my 26/HR31 conversion all i did was use the R33 GTR PS pump and everything bolted up perfectly for me.

We did attempt with the R32 GTR one but soon realised it was too big and fouled the mounts (RB26 sits lower in a HR shell), but didnt pose a big problem as the car wasnt running yet etc

I was surprised that *most* of the stuff was a perfect change over into my shell without any real problems other than the RB26 sump (front diff etc) and the PS pump. Other than that all was really good

the gts4 manual and gtr ratios are the same, it is the differntials that have a different ratio, with a rb26 set up in a gts 4 the gtr will have a higher top speed than if you were using gts4 diffs, no need to worry about the ratio of the front diff if you decide to use the gtr one that is still bolted to the block as the center diff is viscous and will let slip accordingly...however all that is useless info anyway as both boxes have the same weak spots..... it is worth while getting the full p/s set up from the gtr as well just swap them over lines and all, less mess and the lines all follow the same mounting points on the chassis as the front half of the hnr32 shell is identical to the front half of the bnr shell, as nismoid has stated, change out the turbo's,

what you need to complete the swap is

engine, dump pipes, intercooler piping, loom ecu ,abs heat shield, p/s set up from gtr, the trick to getting the motor to sit properly in the hnr32 shell is to use engine mounts from early rb25e or laurel mounts, it will clear the subframe and still allow the bonnet to shut if you ever decide to go 30 block

Do not forget the intercooler and piping is different, as is the fuel pump and airbox

All these things need to be considered when adding up the dollars

Best is to grab a full front cut to get all the bits, except fuel pump.

Prices range between $4K-7K

GTS-4 box is not as strong as a GTR box

That's why GST-4 box is worth around $500 and GTR are $800 upwards approx.

Try Zoom Auto Imports for the install

A GTS4 box is as strong as a GTR box, they do have shorter ratios aswell. I have run them in my GTR a few time's, they are much better on a tight track. I have been through 10 boxes so far so I can tell you:

All Skyline 4WD boxes are just as strong, the GTS4 boxes have shorter ratio's and the series 3 boxes have better energiser syncro clips on 3rd and 4th but are no stronger. Third gear must be changed at a normal speed to increase box life.