SAU Community

Rb25det Neo - Vs - 1jzgte

S15ilvia

Considering that this is a Skylines forum, i would assume more ppl would go for the RB engine :D

Anyways, considering that they are rated at the same peak power (206kw), which engine do u think is best bang for buck when modified, lets say to 300 - 350rwkw ?

I heard that the 1JZ is a "better designed" engine and can make a lot of power easy and can take around 700hp with standard internals, but the aftermarket parts are more expensive? Is this true?

So lets say we spend $5000 on both engines, the RB25DET Neo will produce more power as the prices are cheaper (eg, exhaust, manifold, intake, injectors, aftermarket ECU, turbo, etc)?

Thanks for ur help.

cheers...

1j anyday of the week, just look at old mates cressida, runs 10's on stock 1j.

if that isn't testiment to their strength i don't know what is.

they really are the 2j's little brother.

it's not like you rip an RB engine out to put in a 1j/2j engine, but if its and application where all the fabrication involved will be the same cost, you go 1j/2j anyday of the week.

1j anyday of the week, just look at old mates cressida, runs 10's on stock 1j.

if that isn't testiment to their strength i don't know what is.

they really are the 2j's little brother.

it's not like you rip an RB engine out to put in a 1j/2j engine, but if its and application where all the fabrication involved will be the same cost, you go 1j/2j anyday of the week.

Just remember that there is a guy on this forum that also ran 10's with a completly stock internal rb25det in a stock bodied r33 gts25t, there is also tons of guys in usa using stock rb25det's in silvias etc which are making big numbers reliably on stock internals!

Edited by nizmo_freek

Dont put USA & big numbers together, their system is different.

Running a 10 isnt a hard ask for either motor with stock internals.

Slap an RB25 into a VL with slicks and less than 300rwkw will net you a tidy 10-sec pass.

So comparing that way isnt always the best.

But whats the motivation for the question?

Installation into an S15?

Bang for buck, the 1j would have it mod for mod.

But if you then include custom everything to get it into a car its not designed for, then its not a line ball decision anymore

1j any day of the week. but. transmissons arnt as lego-like as a nissan.

Well a lot of ppl would say 1JZ, but for the extra mods (not including the motor or half cut) wouldnt the Neo RB25DET get more parts and power for a set price?

- Aftermarket parts for the RB25 are wayyy cheaper than the 1J .. correct?

- Also the R154 gearbox is soooo rare its not funny and also expensive...

So comparing that way isnt always the best.

But whats the motivation for the question?

Installation into an S15?

Planning on going into an S13 chassis atm. Just comparing the 2 as i can get the 25det Neo + gearbox for a similar price.

Edited by S15ilvia

Yeah i heard. The stock twin turbos wont fit and will hit the brake booster. On the other hand when we put the Obligatory bigger plenum on the RB25, it also wont fit ...

Thats why i'm leaning towards the RB ... less hassle and maybe more power for my budget :D

oka the 2jz can make 700hp on stock internals..... i believe rb series engine most reliable engine..... i have only found positives when owning a rb20.....

1jz and 2jz have been know to have head cam problems.... seals always leak....

most silvia that pull big hp are using rb 20 or rb25... they find it a more reilable and torquer engine

oka the 2jz can make 700hp on stock internals..... i believe rb series engine most reliable engine..... i have only found positives when owning a rb20.....

1jz and 2jz have been know to have head cam problems.... seals always leak....

most silvia that pull big hp are using rb 20 or rb25... they find it a more reilable and torquer engine

an RB20 is is torquier?

your kidding right?

an RB20 is is torquier?

it might be torquier if you compare it to say... a push bike.

if it is going into a s13 then i'd say the rb25. less fabrication will be required, but the motor probably will cost more.

The problem with 1JZs’ (and 2JZ’s) has nothing to do with the engine itself, except that the turbo is on the wrong side for right hand drive. That’s why the (left hand drive) yanks like their JZ’s, the turbo is on the better side for them.

The real problem is the bolt ons, $ for $ the RB25DET Neo wins easily every time. For example, one turbo is so much easier to upgrade than the dumb ass sequential turbos. Then you get to the Toyota manual gearbox issue, what are you going to use? They are either fragile, unobtainable or nose bleed expensive.

That’s the reason why 1JZ’s (and 2JZ’s) are cheaper to buy than the equivalent RB’s, nothing to do with the engine itself.

:D cheers :wave:

The problem with 1JZs’ (and 2JZ’s) has nothing to do with the engine itself, except that the turbo is on the wrong side for right hand drive. That’s why the (left hand drive) yanks like their JZ’s, the turbo is on the better side for them.

The real problem is the bolt ons, $ for $ the RB25DET Neo wins easily every time. For example, one turbo is so much easier to upgrade than the dumb ass sequential turbos. Then you get to the Toyota manual gearbox issue, what are you going to use? They are either fragile, unobtainable or nose bleed expensive.

That’s the reason why 1JZ’s (and 2JZ’s) are cheaper to buy than the equivalent RB’s, nothing to do with the engine itself.

:glare: cheers :wave:

I've always wondered and now I know.

Also in reply to someone posting up there about old mate. Ask Shane how much it cost him to run 10's. A lot more than you think. Although, I think he got high 11's cheaply.

:glare: cheers :wave:

cheers dude !! That's what i wanted to confirm as well!

Looks like RB neo it is.. for now i think ... i'll see what happens.

Just buy a JZ motor with the Getrag and you'll never have a problem...I know a mates car is making huge numbers with an internally stock 2JZ (except cams) and T78 turbo. VERY scary sleeper.

ive got a 25 in my s13 can really speak for the 1js and 2js havent dealt with them much for a pretty a stock motor with a couple of the usual bolt ons my car is a whole lot of fun to drive nice amount of torque and power in a reasinably light car. other thing you may whant to consider is if you wanna keep A/C its very easy to bolt back in instead tryin to fit up toyota gear ive found alot of stuff is interchangable from 32s and 33s which makes life alot easier