SAU Community

New Clutch Or Rebuild Old One?

Burgerman

Hi Guys,

I have looked over the threads here and there is a good deal of information regarding what clutches people have etc. I've had my R32GTR for almost 3 months and after going uphill in 4th gear realised my clutch is slipping. I have a twin plate OSGiken clutch. I've gotten some quotes from a mechanic:

Rebuild: which includes rebuilding the current twin plate OSGiken clutch and machining the flywheel = $approx $1300 including labour.

New single plate clutches, different types they told me, one was a brass button one, the other was an organic single plate one, the brass button one was $100 dearer but with labour came to about the same price as the rebuild because I would most likely need a new flywheel with the new clutch.

I would like to keep the twin plate if it means better gripping and gear changing down the line when I hopefully conjure up some money and get some mods done to increase the hp. My engine is pretty stock except for 2 airpods. However I was also thinking whether or not a rebuild and remachining would be as long lasting as a new single clutch, if the single can handle approximately 350kw (which is about as far as my money in the future will probably take me) it might be the better option now if it would last longer.

Currently I'm leaning more towards the rebuild, mainly cause I get to keep the twin (as a new twin would cost more than the rebuilt one) and it works out to be the same if not cheaper than the single options. Just not sure if it would last as long as a new clutch would.

I'm not a huge car racer or dragger if that helps. Just want something decent. Willing to pay the money mind I don't want something for nothing, I just want something that's worth it and both options seem to have their good points.

Any input would be helpful to make up my mind.

Cheers

dont get a single. it will shuddder and eat your flywheel.

jim bery in qld rebuilds the os ones for i think around 1100.

rated to heaps. the rebild kit from os giken as roughly a grand.

yuo need to find out what sort of twin plate it is.

steel cover or alloy,205 or 215mm plates.

dont get a single. it will shuddder and eat your flywheel.

jim bery in qld rebuilds the os ones for i think around 1100.

rated to heaps. the rebild kit from os giken as roughly a grand.

yuo need to find out what sort of twin plate it is.

steel cover or alloy,205 or 215mm plates.

yes and no

send the twin to Jim to be rebuilt or get him to build you one of his "full monty" singles good for 500awkw+ they bite hard and never "shudder" we raced one for two years and it was possibly the best thing i ever have bought for any of my cars.

Hi Guys,

I have looked over the threads here and there is a good deal of information regarding what clutches people have etc. I've had my R32GTR for almost 3 months and after going uphill in 4th gear realised my clutch is slipping. I have a twin plate OSGiken clutch. I've gotten some quotes from a mechanic:

Rebuild: which includes rebuilding the current twin plate OSGiken clutch and machining the flywheel = $approx $1300 including labour.

New single plate clutches, different types they told me, one was a brass button one, the other was an organic single plate one, the brass button one was $100 dearer but with labour came to about the same price as the rebuild because I would most likely need a new flywheel with the new clutch.

I would like to keep the twin plate if it means better gripping and gear changing down the line when I hopefully conjure up some money and get some mods done to increase the hp. My engine is pretty stock except for 2 airpods. However I was also thinking whether or not a rebuild and remachining would be as long lasting as a new single clutch, if the single can handle approximately 350kw (which is about as far as my money in the future will probably take me) it might be the better option now if it would last longer.

Currently I'm leaning more towards the rebuild, mainly cause I get to keep the twin (as a new twin would cost more than the rebuilt one) and it works out to be the same if not cheaper than the single options. Just not sure if it would last as long as a new clutch would.

I'm not a huge car racer or dragger if that helps. Just want something decent. Willing to pay the money mind I don't want something for nothing, I just want something that's worth it and both options seem to have their good points.

Any input would be helpful to make up my mind.

Cheers

If you have a credit card, im not sure whether it was Nengun.com or Greenline.jp, but one of them had OS rebuild kits for sale, and from experience you can get these parts a lot cheaper from these sites.

I am in same position, my TR2CD OS Giken twin has slipped badly, the alloy cover plate is fine though, I will be ordering my OS rebuild "kit A" off greenline within the week (last quote was ~$850 delivered) then just add machine costs and R&R

Kit A=x2 clutch discs, pressure plate and the middle plate

Kit B= as above plus new cover plate too (was ~$1100)

You will need to know what model you have or workout before ordering

http://www.otomoto.com.au/osgiken/index.htm

• 2 weeks later...

just an update ordered OS Giken Kit A from greenline.jp, paid on the 12/12/06, payment cleared the next day, clutch kit arrived from Japan today 20/12/06!

Very impressed, 8 day turn around, just over $800 delivered, now to machine flywheel and deck the mating surface for clutch cover (retain same clucth clearances)

I ended up getting my osgiken twin clutch rebuilt and the flywheel machined for a total of $1300 including labour. It feels alot better and gear changes now are a breeze. No slipping in any of the gears so yeah I'm pretty happy with it for now, just hope it lasts me awhile.

• 2 weeks later...

i just bought a os twin from these forums and its on its way but im gunna see how long it lasts in 300 odd kw... then rebiuld it when it needs,just started running out of cash so have to wait...

Ey there my Skyline brothers.

Doing a bit of googling around and found this thread. I'm having probs with my OSg triple plater slipping on my Sup. Been digging round looking for anyone who rebuilds plates in QLD.

Mind telling me how I could get in contact with this 'Jim Bery'? If you think he'd rebuild a triple...

Cheers guys.

• 4 months later...

sorry to bring up an old thread but I ended up getting the clutch rebuilt and it feels pretty good. Only drama or issue I have is that in 1st gear and reverse at low revs it will shudder. If I rev it to 3 grand or more and slowly release it and move off slowly it's fine. But quite often at slow speeds and low revs it will shudder quite a bit. High speeds and high revs it's great though ?

I have a recently rebuilt os twin as well and it can shudder sometimes. You end up finding a sweet spot that lets you get away cleanly (sometimes) in stop start low speed stuff.

What you say about revving to 3 grand or more and slowly releasing i.e riding it will kill your newly built clutch very quickly.

Before my rebuild it was fine with zero slipping and then my gearbox locked up in fourth. I had to ride it really bad to get my car home a hundred metres away. When the box came off the clutch was cactus. Twin plates are not fond of being slipped.

yeah it's a tempremental thing. I don't make a habit of riding the clutch up hills in traffic for instance but sometimes if I"m just moving off slowly it's hard to avoid the shudder unless I rev it a bit perhaps 3 grand. AFter awhile I get tired of launching too quickly but in general traffic it's fine. I think the main problem is in car parks for instance, like you said finding that sweet spot it doesn't shudder but then other times it will. Other than that I'm quite happy with it. ::)

i find my npc one quite good. really nice. but.. doesnyt like being slipped a little off the line. (really good noises,and shudder,and not fully disengaging fully) but thats probably my fault for trying to melt it. lol

Guys I have an OS Giken twin plate too. I find it takes up really damn late which makes it an absolute pain to drive, especially on hill starts. I was just wondering if this is normal? And/or if other clutches out there take up a lot earlier? Or if this take up point can be adjusted at all?

It literally takes up just before you let go of the clutch pedal, right at the end then BAM it catches.