SAU Community

Hicas And Steering.

siiick

Hey guys, I've recently been experiencing my Hicas light on the dash flash on and off on occasion, like many others have experienced. My steering is now crazy stiff as if there's no power assist, but the fluid is full.

This happened over the period of about a week, starting with just the light, and progressing to the tight steering.

I've searched Hicas and a lot of you have been experienced different problems and have suggested the hicas lock bar. Does this bar fix all problems relating to the HICAS? Anyone had this particular problem, replaced the bar and fixed it?

Could the HICAS light suggest other problems, such as the vehicle speed sensor? I'm thinking this could be the culprit, but without the means to check the OBD codes, I can't be sure. Is there any other way?

Cheers.

Richo

PS. Sorry, I just realised I may have posted this in the wrong section.

Edited by siiick

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your powersteering pump might have failed, would explain why you have a full reservoir but not power asist.

Might get better answers in the tech section

When this happened on mine I found it was an electrical problem, I fixed it by unclipping all the plugs and spraying them with Lanox, I couldnt figure out which one it was but it fixed it, when I say all the plugs I mean every one from front to back.

When this happened on mine I found it was an electrical problem, I fixed it by unclipping all the plugs and spraying them with Lanox, I couldnt figure out which one it was but it fixed it, when I say all the plugs I mean every one from front to back.

yep follow his directions, mine was electrical related also, note if u leave ur battery terminals off for a period of time, it will come good, after system reset. It was suggested to me, this is hicas diagnostic mode. there may have been some dirty on the connections, as we pulled all the plugs off, blew them out, and havnt had the issue return.

cheers,

• 10 months later...

Update ** the problem is back for me.. 'siick' did you end up fixing the problem.??

Something else I noticed this time around is..

When the hicas light comes on, and the steering becomes stiff (ie. no power steering), the ACC control doesnt work. I notice No blip when moving the steering. I have checked all fuses this time, and all is ok. I will take off all plugs again, and clean up, see how it goes.

It is said the heavy steering is a "low assistance mode"

which happens when there's a HICAS ECU error code.

I found a HICAS diagnostic test that you can do manually -

http://www.overflow.250x.com/diagnostics.htm

Another way is to go to your local Nissan dealer

and check via Consult (diagnostic computer).

Consult should be able to access the HICAS

ECU error codes.

Also other causes of HICAS problems can be weak

voltage because of a faulty alternator or low

fluid level in the powersteering resouvoir (R32).

Sometimes the HICAS ECU (like a faulty AFM) can have

bad solders. It's not worth fixing and I recommend a

second hand replacement HICAS ECU.

But be aware that GTS, GTS-T, GTR HICAS ECU's are

supposedly not the same (part numbers are different).

Make sure you have the correct replacement HICAS

ECU.

Edited by SKYPER

thank you that is some really good info there.

"The HICAS light in the instrument cluster will be flashing quickly (for normal) or will flash a code indicating any problems. Long flash = first digit, short flash = second digit. Diagnostics will return to normal after five minutes, or any speed over 10k/ph, or ingnition is turned off. "

But will this work with a non standard ecu.. for instance a PowerFC

Have you been able to get into this Diagnostic mode yourself 'Jdfng' ? I have not , even back with my stock ecu, and now with the PFC. I have tried Extensively tonight, to get it into diagnostic mode, following the instructions on that website exactly. And also tried a few variations of the instructions aswell.

as prior to this last time I had issues with the stock ECU, I did try a few times, with very similar instructions to that website, that didnt work either.

In the end I gave up, the problem just kept returning no matter what I did, the plug spraying always cured it but only in the sort term, I looked at the options available and settled for the Tomei hicas lock kit, mainly because it is fairly simple with the hicas unit staying there but locked with spacers and a elec unit to fool the main ecu into thinking all is good with it, the other option is a lock bar which replaces the hicas unit.

I never got the diag to work either.

About the link, you're welcome. :)

That manual HICAS diagnostic mode does work on a R32

and it worked first time. Only problem was getting it into

full diagnostic mode as HICAS ECU threw a tantrim.

Basically the rear wheels felt like they were turning side to side

and light flashed on the dash (R32 had a faulty ECU at that time).

Driving backwards or forwards at less than 10kmh didn't do anything.

I think you might need to turn the steering wheel between

turning on ignition and the revs rising on the dash. I guess

probably by the time revs have risen and settled at idle,

a couple of seconds has passed.

As far as I know the only difference is R33 has a separate

HICAS system in the boot (not feed by powersteering

resouvoir in engine bay).

The R33 powersteering resouvoir is sometimes used

when eliminating HICAS on R32.

Edited by SKYPER

As far as I know the only difference is R33 has a separate

HICAS system in the boot (not feed by powersteering

resouvoir in engine bay).

This is Correct. which makes that tutorial quite useless for anything other than R32.

The issue has seemed to have dissapeared this morning :)

Theres gotta be someone out there, who knows how do diagnose Hicas R33 onwards. Im not keen on using a lock bar. As I plan on using the Hicas to its full potential, And solving this issue! :rofl:

You may have already tried this but I would recommend going to the R33 manual and following each step in the hicas diagnostic section. If you test everything and confirm everything then what else is there?

Have you been able to get into this Diagnostic mode yourself 'Jdfng' ? I have not , even back with my stock ecu, and now with the PFC. I have tried Extensively tonight, to get it into diagnostic mode, following the instructions on that website exactly. And also tried a few variations of the instructions aswell.

as prior to this last time I had issues with the stock ECU, I did try a few times, with very similar instructions to that website, that didnt work either.

yeah mate i have had in diagnostic mode a few times... Having said that, the last time I tried it, it flashed up the codes but didn't do it's wheel moving thing...... But it still flashed up the error codes.....

i might try re-setting the ECU and go from there... I tried it on my mates R33 the other day and it flashed the error codes... still no bum wiggling though...... not really sure why........

semd me your number by PM mate and I'll give you a call and talk you through it if you like :rofl:

would come over and show you but it's a bit too far to come :)

R32 had a faulty HICAS ECU at that time, so I guess that's why the rearend

wiggled.

Replaced ECU, no more heavy problems.

Do you guys have an aftermarket boss kit for aftermarket steering

wheel (could be interfering with HICAS steering angle sensor that's

located behind steering wheel)????

Edited by SKYPER

Still, get the steering angle sensor checked out.

I guess another way would be to find the same type of car and swap over HICAS ECU's.

Then see if the problem appears on the other car. I gather it would eliminate HICAS ECU

as the problem.

Also check the HICAS ECU plug as sometimes the plastic plugs can get bent (had this

problem with engine ECU plug).

Edited by SKYPER