SAU Community

Exhaust Help

Tangles

Blow up a balloon and put it in the freezer, if it gets bigger when it cools down then your are correct... It will get smaller though.

Freezing liquids and cooling gasses are 2 different physical reactions. As liquids freeze they expand and become a solid, as gasses cool they become more dense and thus reduce in volume. There is also another factor that will effect the restrictiveness of the exhaust and that is velocity, as the gas moves further down the pipe it slows so restriction is less likely to occur the further away from the engine the gas travels.

Cheers

Luke

Yay! At least I'm not the only one who remebers Charles law from high school....

The Charles Law

Jacques Charles (1746-1823) experimented with gas under constant pressure. In today's language, his discovery is that the volume of a gas is proportional to the temperature in K (kelvin).

Therefore, as the gas cools, the volume (or pressure in a closed environment) will also decrease....

So to, a glass and a half of full cream etc etc

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I do change the muffler, Im thinking of this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...3170&rd=1,1

Could take up to two months tho for delivery.... but still, for $120usd it aint that bad value I guess, being of 3inch internal straight through design, centre to centre.

I dunno, if I add it on after the tune then the settings on the piggybacks will be out, slightly. Meh, will wait until Im off work and decide then whether Im paying this months morgage or not !! :P

Cheers all.

Some people on here mentioned about getting a resonator. I've heard both sides of the story but mainly people have told me that resonators can actually create drone, rather than remove it.

I had a resonator put on my stagea when I got the exhaust done - its what the exhaust shop normally uses for skylines and they also used one on my s13 silvia a couple years ago.

With the silvia it was fine, not overly loud and sounded ok. But with the stagea, it was so droney that it was very loud inside the car at around 2000rpm - next time you drive have a look at your tacho and notice how much it sits around 2000rpm when just driving normally in traffic. Its quite a LOT.

The next business day I took the car back and got them to swap the resonator for a 3" straight thru muffler, so no more restriction - and it made a HUGE difference. The exhaust is quieter (was a bit loud beforehand) and has a very nice deep note with no drone. Its actually fairly quiet cruising at 60km/h.

I think that resonators work best on smaller cars where there isn't much cabin space. With a wagon you get a lot of drone since the resonator/muffler is sitting beneath the wagon part of the car. So thats where I think two mufflers is really what is necessary to eliminate drone in a car like the stagea.

Just my 2c. Hope it helps and I'm sure you'll get it sorted :(

Brendon, try getting a straight pipe through first before you buy anything . Do it like wat pixels says. And see how you go.

<y Nismo muffy have a resonator and its abit loud at times when low rpm but hey a lot of people whom heard the sound before that it sounded like a porsche.

try a straight pipe through go to a junk yard and get a piece a scrap 3" and weld it on and see how you go first.

hmm interesting...

i just fitted up a 3" front/dump onto my stagea with the rest of the system stock. and even with that i noticed the drone... i dunno... but i didnt like it - so stocky one is going back on :stupid:

hope the knee is getting there slowly :)

A couple of weeks ago I finally got around to fitting the exhaust to the Stagea. It is a Nismo 3.25” off the R32GTST with a large off set muffler in the middle and a straight though muffler at the rear. I used it because it was spare (the R32GTST has an Apexi 90mm titanium exhaust on it now) and because it was quiet, but at the same time not too restrictive. The old RB20DET made 225 rwkw with it on, so the 200 rwkw target from the Stagea seems reasonable. Plus I am going to use the Performance Metalcraft split dump off the R32GTST, so it is basically the whole exhaust, except the Stagea will run a cat. I already have a new Catco high flow cat ready to go on to replace that crappy compliance one.

On the Stagea, the Nismo exhaust works exactly as I hoped it would, very quiet up to 4,500 rpm, with absolutely zero drone. It has the RB signature howl at 5,000 rpm upwards though.

To get it to fit the Stagea we had to do a few mods. I will post up some pictures, in the interim;

1. We (mostly Liverpool Exhausts) had to add around 4” just before the rear subframe

2. Plus around 3” between the rear muffler and the tail pipe.

3. Cut off the R32 hangers at the sub frame and the rear muffler and weld on a couple of new ones in the Stagea positions.

4. Cost was $190 for the mods, fitting, new bolts, nuts and gaskets.

So it was a pretty cheap upgrade and it certainly makes a difference to the power and useable rpm range. Thinking about it, the Stagea is the first Sklyline/Stagea I have had with a standard exhaust, all the others have had modified exhausts when I got them. So this is the first time I get to experience what a difference an exhaust makes, so I am enjoying doing it in stages, to feel the difference each upgrade makes.

:D cheers :thanks:

PS; for Alex, thanks for buying that FMIC, I found a Blitz 600 x 300 x 100 instead :P .

I have only owned 3 cars in my life, all of which had modified exhausts.

My Mk5 Cortina had a full Coby 2" exhaust with 2 straight through mufflers. That sounded pretty good until we got rid of leaded gas here in NZ, then it just pinked like a bitch.

My '92 300ZX had twin 3" exhausts right through (no cats) a resonator on each and then twin (about) 7" cannons (offset). It sounded great, really deep and not droney. Then I had to get new rear mufflers, and they were alright up untill about 3500rpm, then arrrggghhh it went all kinda high pitched and rattley.

My Stagea has a NISMO (I think it was a factory option?) 2.5" and it sounds awesome. A nice burble at idle, no drone and still has a (muted) roar at high rpm. The rear muffler is an oval type and has a 4" tip, it looks good.

A good exhaust can (in my opinion) make or break a car. I hate those 'I've-just-put-a-loud-muffler-on-the-back-and-now-my-car-rocks' types. Or those rear mufflers that just look like they've been slapped on and are at a messy angle.

Basically, what ever you get make sure you can live with it, and it's done good.

post-20831-1166044889.jpghey brendon theres lots of options out there isnt there, it has to fit your budget, it has to work and like most other comments noise with the wagon is an issue, in my case i went custom from a reputable shop in brissie. have to say it was money well spent ....better power, economy and as ive metioned elsewhere a sound like ripping silk[full 3in s/s split front/dump]

post-20831-1166044916.jpg

post-20831-1166044948.jpg

post-20831-1166044949.jpg

post-20831-1166045122.jpg

• 9 months later...
does anyone out there have one of those off the shelf bolt on exhausts like trust,hks,etc.. any opinions on what they sound like?? or is it cheaper just to have one made??

generally Hks, apexi sounds nice . is yours an Rs4? it might be abit hard to source it since theres a limited number of stagea around. but i think they go genreally about 7-800 bucks a pop. It also depends are you going to mod the car? If you do get a bigger exhaust now. Dont get a small one and later to find its not sufficient and buy another bigger exhaust. Of course get a stainless steel ones. It might be more expensive but it in the long run its well worth it.. I suggest you tto get a local made dump pipe, high flow cat converter and a branded exhaust. Although you can just get a generic ones. Its just personal taste.

I have a Nismo onefull cat back system and it sounds very nice. But now i have a Kakimoto now just the muffler section for now. Its very very quite cos there was modification made to it. Again its entirely what you want. If you want power gain japanese brand. If you want just a rumbly sound you can get a generic one. I dont think a custom made exhaust would be much different from a branded oned in term of costings.

I have the Trust Power Extreme II on my series 1, and it is very acceptable in terms of cabin noise. There is obviously some noise intrusion when under load, especially at lower revs, but certainly not what I would call droney (not like my mazda rx4 for example !!). On the freeway it is hard to even hear it over wind and road noise.

When giving it a bootfull, is sounds f'n awesome .. nothing beats the jap systems for that classic RB growl. Certainly makes people look twice at the TurboBrick !!

unfortunately for me, due to my stupid steep driveway, the rear muffler scrapes if more than just me in the car. I am selling it, check the ad. $750 and only 1 month old.

Stu

i will be considering:

HKS Silent Hi-Power Exhaust - Nissan Stagea WGNC34 Price: $899

Stainless Steel - Suit 9/96-7/98 Model Stagea

from just jap

or a full custom with 2 3" magnaflow mufflers...

anyone have the HKS?

I want something that will be quiet, no drone... the point of the stagea for me is comfort. I've got my 1600 when i need a headache.

-Ryan

I want something that will be quiet, no drone... the point of the stagea for me is comfort. I've got my 1600 when i need a headache.

-Ryan

exactly quiet is good. but when i stand on it i wanna hear that sweet symphony that is 7000rpms of turbo RB!!

exactly quiet is good. but when i stand on it i wanna hear that sweet symphony that is 7000rpms of turbo RB!!
ust

simple fact quite exhaust means less power gain. louder exhaust have higher gains.

today i got a 3inch cat back exhaust fitted (with a 3inch cat) its got a centre resonator and a muffler at the rear. it sounds like crap!! it drones that bad it causes a vibration through the whole car!! worst thing is when u get the revs up its not much louder than the stock one!!! i'll be taking it straight back for them to fix, has anyone got any suggestions??

ust

simple fact quite exhaust means less power gain. louder exhaust have higher gains.

for the record if i wanted to make lots of power i wouldn't have bought a stagea (i already have a car for that). i just like the engine note and wanna hear it when it suits me.

today i got a 3inch cat back exhaust fitted (with a 3inch cat) its got a centre resonator and a muffler at the rear. it sounds like crap!! it drones that bad it causes a vibration through the whole car!! worst thing is when u get the revs up its not much louder than the stock one!!! i'll be taking it straight back for them to fix, has anyone got any suggestions??

Replace the resonator with a muffler?