SAU Community

Have I Done A Gasket?

Hey guys, just a quick question.

I was at work the other day, started the car and it sounded incredibly loud for sum reason. I thought it was just echoeing off the cars next to me but then i realised it wasnt.

It amlmost sounds like there's no cat or sumthin, but when i pop the hood there a really loud exhaust sound being heard.

My mates have suggested that maybe the exhaust gasket to the dump pipe is gone or that a manifold gasket has gone.

Anyone got ideas? Has anyone experienced this issue?

Thanks for any help

Alex

I have experienced this very thing. I blew the gasket between the head and the manifold and the turbo and the dump pipe and after that is was louder, had a slight whistle when accelerating and of course my car now sounded like a tractor.

Take the car for a drive... if you can hear a flapping noise from the turbo side of the car its usually a good indication of etiher manifold/turbo/exhaust leak... sometimes they wont do it and itll just be crazy loud but in most cases you should hear a flapping noise which is the gasket :D

The other technique that too_much_boost told me about was using a piece of garden hose. Use it like doctors use that heart listening thingy, stick one side near your ear and point the other end around where the exhaust gasket would be.

The other place I'd be checking is after the dumppipe or if you have any rust spots in the exhaust those too.

Waz - induction noise (whistling and whooshing) is common RB styles. Exhaust manifold would be closer to barking and not boosting as much, and you can sometimes smell exhaust fumes.

Well i got it checked out today and it is definately an exhaust manifold gasket that has gone.

The interesting thing i heard is that when they take the manifold off the head i got told that it is very easy for the bolts to snap. Is this really the case?

I was quite dumbfounded when i heard. That just means i might be up for more money in the end.

I also went to nissan to sus the parts out and thankfully they have them in stock so thats not too much of an issue

Alex

Well i got it checked out today and it is definately an exhaust manifold gasket that has gone.

The interesting thing i heard is that when they take the manifold off the head i got told that it is very easy for the bolts to snap. Is this really the case?

I was quite dumbfounded when i heard. That just means i might be up for more money in the end.

I also went to nissan to sus the parts out and thankfully they have them in stock so thats not too much of an issue

Alex

they snap very easily, i would suggest a replacement of all the studs while the manifold is off.. save it happening later

• 1 month later...

When i had a bolt or two missing in my turbo-gasket dump (and therefore wasn't as tight as it should be) it made a zzzzzzzzzz'ing sort of sound. Not a hissing, but a sound like, well z's. Hope that helps someone. My original rb20 turbo had a leak in exhaust end and it was just really loud, induction noise and exhaust noise sounded the same as it does now.