SAU Community

Speakers Sound Like Crap. And Some Other Questions.

are33

Hello.

Recently ive finished installing my new stereo in my 33:

Alpine:

9857 H/U

4 x Type X Splits

MRV-F345 4ch amp

Now i have wired everything up all nice and neatly and didnt take any shortcuts, soldered things where needed and etc, and i have tuned my amp according to my listening preferances.

The problem im having is everything rattling! my parcel tray and my front doors. I have the fronts mounted factory and no sound deadening atm. I was just wondering which was the better alternative; take it to someone and get them to completly seal and sound deaden my doors, or take it to someone and get custom speaker pods built to suite the speakers.

Now the back speakers, would i be better off sound deadening all the metal part of where the parcel tray sits and replacing that crappy piece of wood/cardboard with some sturdy MDF? or what could be a better alternative.

Next year once i have a bit more cash ill be getting a new super plush carpet mould with full sound deadening on it so that will reduce some drivetrain/ground noise.

I have spent alot of money on the system and i want top quality sound from it and im not sure what to do about this situation so any help would be great.

Another thing regarding subwoofers and my boot, Next year ill be after maybe 2 type x subwoofers, and ill be sound deadening the entire boot.

1. Do i sound deaden the boot lid as well?

2. With the r33's im sure everyone knows that crappy little waste of space where the battery sits, does the piece of metal between the cabin and the boot hinder bass in the cabin, and what do people do about it?

thankyou.

Edited by OBNXSH

1) I think that is recommended. Deaded as many large panels as you can. It gets expensive though.

I have just done the metal parcel tray, and it doesn't rattle anymore. I have made my own parcel tray also, out of thicker MDF.. that's definately the way to go. The stocker is cardboard-thin!

2) As far as I know, noone has touched that before. If you want to experiment, I guess you could remove the rear seat, then use a hole-saw to drill two chunky holes, then ram a bass-reflex port that protrudes in to the battery/boot area? I guess the seats are going to muffle anything that's already there anyway.

I have put a guide somewhere on helping with the doors. The door trim has metal tabs that hang on the door-sill... metal on metal shakes like crazy. The furry side of velcro on the door-trim tabs was a simple solution there, but you COULD soundproof the entire door. I'm quite happy with what i've done, and it's noise-free now. (apart from some road-noise that Dynamat panels could reduce)

I found that my rear bar doesn't vibrate, but the boot lining at the end of the boot (the lining that covers the brakelights and bootlock) is vibrating quite badly against the metal of the car.

From the outside, it sounds like the rear bar.