SAU Community

How Do I Fit 7x10" Speakers In The Back Of My R33?

R-SPEC

it took me about 2 hours to get the 6" sony x-plod's out of the rear. never thought taking out rear speakers was so hard...

anyways i got a couple of 7x10" kenwoods that i wanna put in there but i have no idea how to make em fit. i guess if they were 6x9s they would fit straight in yeah? but what do i do with these?

thanks in advance

They will fit you just have to screw around a bit and make a new parcel shelf. You will for sure have to cut metal if you want em in there and maybe move your battery a little bit and with the 7x10's you wont need a sub so they might be a space saver in a way, but you can make alot of things work with the right tools.

sell them, keep ur 6" xplods where they were at the rear....invest in some splits and a 10" sub and amp and bobs ur uncle!

i already gave the 6's away and i'll never ever have subs in my car. :action-smiley-069:

They will fit you just have to screw around a bit and make a new parcel shelf. You will for sure have to cut metal if you want em in there and maybe move your battery a little bit and with the 7x10's you wont need a sub so they might be a space saver in a way, but you can make alot of things work with the right tools.

yeah i was thinking that. cut the metal and making the holes bigger but sounds like too much trouble. might give it a shot anyway.

will i need an amp if i was to hook up these 7x10s?

thanks

Edited by R-SPEC

cutting those in will get into the strut towers VERY quickly. sell them and do something else..

Obviously cutting the metal from a parcel shelf is never good no matter in what car. Its thin metal like 3mm thick, if your worried about cutting metal then get something else otherwise if you don't mind its ok because whats the worst that can happen? think about hatchbacks... where's their metal? i would honestly like to know how it can be effected if you dont actually damage something crucial? you'd need to bring the shelf up with 18mm mdf and cut the holes for the 7x10's more to the middle.

Just take it somewhere and ask em, just say to em that you want to do this and that to you car and see what they'll say, but dont tell them your doing it yourself cos they wont help, just make out like your going to make them do it and see how you go, but go somewhere with a good rep, if your in melb i know a few places that are really good... i've got 6x9's and i think alot of people around here do to, its a bitch of a job but just go speak to a professional car audio fitter and they'll tell you, i've been working in car audio for a while and it's a tight fit but it can be done with patientce and the right tools, dont forget its getting into custom style work now.. if you dont want a sub then 7x10's with an amp to match the speakers rms output and to tune it correct would be wise.

just get some 7x10 spacers mount them onto ur parcel shelf, making sure the magnet will go through the 6" hole and u can put wires in then mount in speakers, easy

u should have seen my dilema fitting 2 of these 15" babies into the boot of an r32

post-5992-1165736383.jpg

just get some 7x10 spacers mount them onto ur parcel shelf, making sure the magnet will go through the 6" hole and u can put wires in then mount in speakers, easy

u should have seen my dilema fitting 2 of these 15" babies into the boot of an r32

Well theres another way, the only issue with that is making sure you clear the window and have enough room for the 90 degree angle drill bit to screw the holes in, but regardless you still probably need to cut holes.

Well theres another way, the only issue with that is making sure you clear the window and have enough room for the 90 degree angle drill bit to screw the holes in, but regardless you still probably need to cut holes.

no need to cut holes, simply.. take the parcel shelf out, bolt everything into the parcel shelf making sure its in the right spot to have the magenets go into the holes so u can wire it up, then put the parcel shelf with the speakers mounted into it back into position, it works ive done it quik and easy and looks good, and u dont have to destroy anything, simply get platic spacers from any audio shop, autobahn, jb hi fi, strathfield

they look like this

post-5992-1165818465.jpg

cool cool ok thanks guys looks like the easiest way to go would be to get these spacers.

just one more question; how do i take the shelf out? i've tried un-clipping the clips from inside the boot and pulling it out from inside the car but it looks like it would break if i tried to pull harder....? i wanna do it properly coz i'm selling the car soon and i want it to look nice and neat.

thanks again fellas

EDIT: never mind the shelf question, did some searching and im gonna be making a new parcel shelf :happy:

Edited by R-SPEC

no need to cut holes, simply.. take the parcel shelf out, bolt everything into the parcel shelf making sure its in the right spot to have the magenets go into the holes so u can wire it up, then put the parcel shelf with the speakers mounted into it back into position, it works ive done it quik and easy and looks good, and u dont have to destroy anything, simply get platic spacers from any audio shop, autobahn, jb hi fi, strathfield

they look like this

Um... 7x10's are larger, besides you will need to cut the holes out bigger, the 7x10's wont fit square in the centre of the 6" standard holes unless you wana leave 2 screws out closest to the windows... but plastic spacers look bodgy, either make the spacers and screw them into the shelf then carpet it or as i said before take it somewhere and see what ideas they have. When you are looking at the car and have all the gear ready and shelf appart etc, you might be able to see something that you cant think of now. But 7x10's are very deep and its hard to say whats going to work and whats not without everything pulled appart.

Make sure you take it somewhere cos 7x10's are worth it if you dont want a sub. But if your selling the car then dont waste your time.

one thing to remember that if cut or modify the metal within 300mm of a child restraint on the rear shelf you have just made the car instantly defectable.

Depending on how your car was complianced and the position of these restraints you will not be able to cut at all.

If you do put them in, get busted and have to fix it.

Easy, weld in a new shelf, repaint it, get an engineers certificate.

Honestly mate, not worth the time, trouble or headache.

The child restraint bolts are close to the seat itself and can be put back in when you make your new shelf, unless you have a baby i wouldn't really be concerned about it, and unless you are going to hack your whole parcel shelf you will be safe and as for being busted i dont think your going to compliance your car again and besides if anyone puts a pod filter and an intercooler on your car then its automatically illegal, i wouldn't worrie about a child restraint bolt....

Just take it to a pro and see what they say because these idea's are just proberly confusing the shit out of ya. It can be done but if i were you i'd take these idea's go to the pro and tell them everything you read on this topic, then come back and tell us what they said. Thats the only way this is going to be sorted out.

If you find a workshop that is dodgy enough to do this to your car, then please, get back in your car, drive away from them and never return.

As for what the Pro's think, here's some quotes from this thread..

you put them back in the box they came in and sell them :rofl:

no way they will fit.

Yep, Chris Rogers speaks the truth.

No way they will fitt buddy, sell them to a mate with an XT Ford and they will look sweet on the back shelf.. No need for a box.

:laugh:

sell them, keep ur 6" xplods where they were at the rear....invest in some splits and a 10" sub and amp and bobs ur uncle!
cutting those in will get into the strut towers VERY quickly. sell them and do something else..
one thing to remember that if cut or modify the metal within 300mm of a child restraint on the rear shelf you have just made the car instantly defectable.

Depending on how your car was complianced and the position of these restraints you will not be able to cut at all.

Yep everyone here is a pro, they've allllll tried to fit 7x10's in their R33. Who gives a shit about cutting metal in the parcel shelf, the car isn't going to fall appart for expanding the 2 6" holes that are already there, everyone is soo scared about the parcel shelf metal...

I want to know how its going to effect the structure of the car... give me the worst case senario....

As for welding another shelf and getting it engineered? WTF is that? think logically, now everyone is making things complicated and confusing this poor kid...

R-SPEC do what you want... this is just getting rediculous... people telling you that something CAN'T be done when it already HAS been done... if you want the easy way out just leave em, sell em and move on to get 6" speakers, otherwise give it a go.. you wont know yourself if you dont try.

QUOTE(Chris Rogers @ 8 Dec 2006, 10:36 PM)

you put them back in the box they came in and sell them

no way they will fit.

QUOTE(AlphA @ 9 Dec 2006, 11:11 AM)

Yep, Chris Rogers speaks the truth.

No way they will fitt buddy, sell them to a mate with an XT Ford and they will look sweet on the back shelf.. No need for a box.

QUOTE(n15m0 @ 9 Dec 2006, 04:47 PM)

QUOTE(Chris Rogers @ 10 Dec 2006, 11:50 AM)

QUOTE(frx026 @ 12 Dec 2006, 09:24 AM)

PFFT... Pro's

we know what is legal to do and what isnt. yes I had done 6x9s in one and it was a VERY tight fit. 7x10 - nope!

it took a new shelf for one and a LOT of minor trimming once it was done.

they do not fit- leave it at that.