SAU Community

Smashed Gearbox

SirRacer

I am able to get an r33 gtst transmission that has been involved in an accident. Other than the bellhousing being in a million pieces the trans previously worked fine and had done low kms.

I dont know alot about nissan gearbox's but can the bellhousing be replaced for another one.

So say for example if i get this gearbox can i swap another bellhousing onto it and use that?

Or would it simply be a parts box

Cheers

Byron

Join the club!

You can swap the parts over, you just need to find a really cheap broken box and swap the good parts over. Then again it would probably be cheaper and easier to just buy another working gearbox.

if its been impacted hard enough to shatter the bellhousing, what makes uthink the internals will be workin like normal?

i've not come across a gearbox thats had this happen, but logic tells me it wouldnt be that good?

bellhousing is bolted to motor which has had impact damage from the front on. The input shaft is in the end of the crank, so if the motor was pushed back to smash the bellhousing it would have at least pushed the input shaft which means the gb internals may be stuffed partially or seriously...

cheers for the replys. hopefully ill score it this week and then ill let you know how it works out

a new bellhousing is 250nzd and the box i dont think will be over 150nzd so 400 for a gearbox may be a good deal.

i agree that there may be a few slightly broken bits on it but these gearbox's are so rare these days its probably worth the purchase

here is a pic of my newly aquired gearbox

120 NZD including slave cylinder

hopefully everything should be mint once its checked

the car was in an accident where the occupants really shouldnt have survived (but did) so the engine was mashed.

i dont expect it to be in perfect nick however it sure beats paying 1800+ for a new one

post-21312-1166254376.jpg

Edited by SirRacer

the car plowed into a concrete bridge. suprisingly no one was killed but really they should have been

the engine is completely munched and very few parts off that are salvagable and the floor plan is smashed to bits. the rear end is still fine and the turbo is really the only salvagable bit off the engine.

for the price i paid i thought it was worth the risk

hers a pic of the input shaft. im not a mechanic (very far from it) so dont really know what im looking for but hopefully someone more in the know can elaborate.

post-21312-1166317694.jpg

post-21312-1166317727.jpg

post-21312-1166317758.jpg

post-21312-1166317778.jpg

Edited by SirRacer

Clutch throw-out bearing support extension is missing which means the front cover is toast (that's the part bolted to the front of what's left of the bellhousing). You'll need a new one, or find a good secondhand type. AFAIC, you should do a complete strip and inspection and if your lucky you'll get away with just replacing the bearings (brinelling is a distinct possibility on the input shaft bearing). With a big hit like this there could be internal damage, and it's possible the input shaft is bent.