SAU Community

98 Octane Fuels In Qld

jmac

Hey guys,

I've recently noticed the Mobil near me is selling Synergy 8000 98 RON fuel.

I've always used BP Ultimate, with occasional use of Shell Optimax (now called V-Power). Just wondering who makes the Mobil and Caltex ones?

Can anyone briefly explain who distills what, in Queensland specifically?

I guess I'm curious about all four 98 RON fuels:

BP Ultimate

Shell V-Power (and V-Power Racing - 100 RON E5 fuel)

Mobil Synergy 8000

Caltex Vortex 98

Hey guys,

I've recently noticed the Mobil near me is selling Synergy 8000 98 RON fuel.

I've always used BP Ultimate, with occasional use of Shell Optimax (now called V-Power). Just wondering who makes the Mobil and Caltex ones?

Can anyone briefly explain who distills what, in Queensland specifically?

I guess I'm curious about all four 98 RON fuels:

BP Ultimate

Shell V-Power (and V-Power Racing - 100 RON E5 fuel)

Mobil Synergy 8000

Caltex Vortex 98

I can tell you that all of the petrol in Queensland is distilled at the caltex plant ( A mate of mine is a chemical engineer there) And the differences lie in the differet additives that the companies specify to the plant. and appartently they are all amazigly similar!

I use V-Power and every 3rd fill I wack in a bottle octane booster and never let my tank go under quarter, dunno if it helps, is what my old man told me when i sat in my very first car ( Go the HQ Prem ! )

I was told by a yankee mate our premium fuels in Oz suck arse ! ;) But I never use standard shit, even use premium in the Ryobi and the Victa :P

...even use premium in the Ryobi and the Victa :P

Lol thats hilarious, much difference in power output? What about fuel consumption to area of grass cut ratio?

...serious note though. Ive used BP ultimate for ever, i put V-power in and i love it. Who knows, it may be the placebo effect from good advertising, but im pretty sure I noticed a difference. f**ken expensive thuogh sheeesh.

Its true our so called high octane fuel in oz is crap, the stuff in japan is so much better.

Different cars seem to run better on different fuels, i only run BP Ulitmate in mine, haven't tried Mobil or the Caltex, but i know the Shell fuel runs really bad in my car

I can tell you that all of the petrol in Queensland is distilled at the caltex plant ( A mate of mine is a chemical engineer there) And the differences lie in the differet additives that the companies specify to the plant. and appartently they are all amazigly similar!

Your mate mustn't know much. If he looks out from his office he will see BP Bulwer Island Refinery.

There are two refineries in Qld.

CALTEX Lytton

BP Bulwer.

In NSW.

CALTEX Kurnell

SHELL Clyde

In VIC

SHELL Geelong

MOBIL Altona.

In SA

MOBIL Port Stanvac has closed down

In WA

BP Kwinnana

Also there is a lot more than that. Each Rrefinery uses different designed units to get their octane specs.

I can't recommend V-Power Racing enough. When I can't get to a Shell that sells it I resort to BP Ultimate.

FYI, V-Power Racing is available at the following locations.

Coles Express Albany Creek 171 Old Northern Rd, Albany Creek, QLD

Coles Express Balmoral Cnr Oxford St & Hawthorne Rd, Balmoral, QLD

Coles Express Caloundra 69 Beerburrum St, Caloundra, QLD

Coles Express Kallangur Cnr Anzac Ave & Duffield Rd, Kallangur, QLD

Coles Express Kessels Rd 651 Kessels Rd, Mount Gravatt, QLD

Coles Express Milton 319 Coronation Drv, Milton, QLD

Coles Express Runcorn 501 Compton Rd, Runcorn, QLD

Coles Express Sherwood Cnr Sherwood & Oxley Rds, Sherwood, QLD

Coles Express Surfers Paradise 2824 Gold Coast Hwy, Surfers Paradise, QLD

Coles Express Virginia Cnr Sandgate & Robinson Rds, Virginia, QLD

Lol thats hilarious, much difference in power output? What about fuel consumption to area of grass cut ratio?

It's funny you say that because the Victa 4 stroke keeps a constant rev with the H,O, where on standard crap it fluctuate's real bad and have to clean the sparkplug before i start the sucker.

I can't recommend V-Power Racing enough. When I can't get to a Shell that sells it I resort to BP Ultimate.

FYI, V-Power Racing is available at the following locations.

Coles Express Albany Creek 171 Old Northern Rd, Albany Creek, QLD

Coles Express Balmoral Cnr Oxford St & Hawthorne Rd, Balmoral, QLD

Coles Express Caloundra 69 Beerburrum St, Caloundra, QLD

Coles Express Kallangur Cnr Anzac Ave & Duffield Rd, Kallangur, QLD

Coles Express Kessels Rd 651 Kessels Rd, Mount Gravatt, QLD

Coles Express Milton 319 Coronation Drv, Milton, QLD

Coles Express Runcorn 501 Compton Rd, Runcorn, QLD

Coles Express Sherwood Cnr Sherwood & Oxley Rds, Sherwood, QLD

Coles Express Surfers Paradise 2824 Gold Coast Hwy, Surfers Paradise, QLD

Coles Express Virginia Cnr Sandgate & Robinson Rds, Virginia, QLD

Thanks mrbenno

Thanks guys. I haven't tried V-Power Racing (or previously Optimax Extreme) yet but might give it a go.

So where does Mobil get its fuel from in Brisbane then??? Is Synergy just V-Power or Ultimate with different additives? Has anyone tried their car on it?

I ask because I live literally around the corner from one so it'd be very convenient. :action-smiley-069:

I've heard from a workshop that pulling down an engine that's lived a life of bp ultimate is far cleaner than optimax or non-premium fuels... not sure of the accuracy of this

absolute crock of shite.

All of the fuels are made at the Caltex refinery. They are all made via the same process and all use extremely similar additives. Caltex fuels ARE, however, cleaner than all others. BP fuels are produced with power as a priority and Shell fuels are identical to Caltex fuels in almost every way.