SAU Community

98 Octane Fuels In Qld

jmac

Used v power recently, noticed a loss of response and power. Went to caltex/woolworths, used vortex and the car drove well but maybe it was just my imagination but I could of sworn it sounded different at lights. I didnt like it.

Went back to BP Ultimate. The only way to go.

absolute crock of shite.

All of the fuels are made at the Caltex refinery. They are all made via the same process and all use extremely similar additives. Caltex fuels ARE, however, cleaner than all others. BP fuels are produced with power as a priority and Shell fuels are identical to Caltex fuels in almost every way.

Now let me get this right. Caltex makes all the fuels in Qld. So what does BP Bulver Island Refnery do?

How come when Caltex Lytton is down we ship finished product from Caltex Kurnell?

Read what I wrote above. I am not a mate or a mate of a mate who has heard something about fuel. I have worked for caltex for 26 yrs. The units I operate produce gasoline with a RON of between 95 to 102 .These are then blended with other gasoline run downs from lower octane units to produce the fuel, that is able to meet Federal Government specs. Normally plus or minus half an octane number

Shell fuel is not identical to our fuel because of different crudes that are run and our process units are different in design and age to shell. They add their own additives. Caltex only adds a cleaning agent to keep fuel systems clean. Although we do add ethanol to some brand :( ed fuel in Qld.

Mine only uses Shell V-Power Racing (100 octane)

This is what the car has been tuned to use. I found that the response was much better out of this fuel. I also have found a slight increase in the amount of Km's that I am able to get out of a tank.

My car is tuned to 98 Optimax, however I have started to use the V Power Racing as in Summer due to the heat (and my slackness of using the standard intercooler) the 100ron sees lower knock and better economy by far!!

Plus i have pulled the plugs and they are fine, so to those who think an engine will not be as clean with a certain fuel, unless your go to Bob's Backyard Ethanol station and fill up with Taiwanese fuel, yoru engines will burn clean (unless your tuner is crap also)

^^^it is not the purity worries me.

ethanol will fasten the wear on your seals in the enginem due to it is being corossive.

this is what worries me

By the time that the minute potential damage is done you won't even own the car any more. V-Power Racing is only 5% Ethanol in any case.

Where'd you hear that from Bryn? If true it's good news (for me anyway!). ;)

last time i was at mobil ( buying a coke, not the fuel as its shit ) i asked about the 6000, 8000, etc etc and why the names...

He said the 8000 was the sports fuel. I asked if it was 98 octane and he replied to me saying its just BP ultimate being sold by them as 8000

i dont know if this guy was telling truth or not. but every mobil i go to looks like a dump, so i avoid them purely on that basis...

as for the ethanol wearing out rubber seals. If u know that over a certain time this fuel is bad for the car, why bother using it at all. bit harsh looking at it as "" i wont own it when it happens"

i just sent nissan a email asking specifically about running the shell 100 octane fuel and running ethanol in a r33 gtst. we will see what they say

They will cover their arse as always.

Does anyone have any idea how long it takes ethanol to harm your fuel system when it is in a 5% mix?

Somewhere around the vacinity of 10 years to notice any effect.

You should be replacing your fuel system every 5-7 years anyway.