SAU Community

Building Your Own Parcel Shelf; Update: Progress Of Shelf

Rekin

ur goin all out on this parcel shelf lol.

i knocked mine over in like 2 hrs, didnt even think about putting foam or anything.

the cut on 9mm is steeper but everything fits in nice and snug. i onli used 9mm coz i had it lying around but even if i was to go and buy it, i wud still use 9mm. just seems more solid, and since im going to have subs, i figure the heavier the thing is, the less it'll vibrate

i ditched all the stock clips and all that and just screwed it in with self tappers from under it

i suck with a jigsaw so the wood was pretty sh*t...but after u cover it with carpet ($12 for 1mx2.5m from spotlight) u dont even see the wobbly cuts lol.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hows it goin all, yer i recently did my parcel shelf + speakers, (bought my r33 5 days ago) i found that 6mm mdf fits neatest. lets you keep the covering for the windscreen wiper motor...

yep the cover fits nicely ontop of the 6mm mdf, but decided to rotor the area down to 2.5mm(orig thickness) so i can use the original clips on the cover.

yer that sounds like a good idea ay... hadnt thought of that... how did you mount down the shelf?? mines actually in two halfs, i cut it straight across just to the left of the windscreen wiper motor, if that makes any sense? :-s

yer that sounds like a good idea ay... hadnt thought of that... how did you mount down the shelf?? mines actually in two halfs, i cut it straight across just to the left of the windscreen wiper motor, if that makes any sense? :-s

The original parcel shelf had 6 black clips at the very end which clipped onto metal holes located right up at the bottom of the window. I rivetted the clips onto my new shelf and suprisingly clip on like the original shelf.

Located near the front of the shelf (closest to the seats) were 6 plastic clips which clipped into holes in the chassis. Seeing as there were holes in the chassis for these clips, i just place a bolt through the shelf/metal and added a bolt. The screws pop out in the boot so just stick your head in there and you should see the bolts and just add a nut.

Going to place the left over carpet between shelf/chassis and that shelf aint moving anywhere :/.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Pics for anyone interested!

Put some strong glue on the shelf and put carpet ontop, folded over edges and stapled in.

Put in air-vents and used hot-glue gun to stick them in.

Should have final pics at end of week :happy:

post-10032-1167389994.jpg post-10032-1167390029.jpg post-10032-1167390079.jpg

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
Wheres the best place to get new carpet for the parcel shelf? Spotlight???

I went to bunnings. They had a bunch of auto interior carpet. Which were pretty expensive. $18 a metre, needed around 1.3m lol

Spotlight sounds like a good place to hunt for.

Keep us updated on the spotlight search

Cheers

- Patrick

• 2 years later...

redoing my rear shelf and a lot more now, fiberglass reshape, LED lighting, new 2 way component speakers for rear fill, black micro-suede , Audio control logo glowing artwork for shows..lol

the complete car build is being photo documented for posting in a few spots.link to be provided in 6 weeks

• 2 years later...

Ive taken my parcel shelf out, Was so so so fustrating getting this prick out.

Ive traced on to 6mm MDF. Im ready to lay carpet now. and foam on the back.

This is proovig to be alot more expensive then to just buy a sub. or some fitting speakers.

Im thinking of jsut buying a stock Parcel shelf again. Though im sure my what are the size that fit. My rockfords are not 6x9's But i was told on intall they will not fit.....

Bunnings does not sell carpet anymore....Clark rubber is $40 per meter.....Looks like spot light it the go..

Otherwise im getting another stock parcel self and putting some spacers in.

Spotlight doesnt sell that kind of carpet only thick rugs and a bit of house carpet

Any auto trimmers , autobarn sell it , think its about 35 a metre at autobarn for the proper speaker box carpet unbacked so you can pull it tight , dont use thick foam under it , it will get floppy in the heat and looks like. Cat bed

Clark sells thin open cell white foam , 6 mm i think it is maybe less use that , cost about 5 bucks to do the parcel shelf , they have other stuff but dont

Be tempted some of it is poor for cars and dies in UV here

Use proper contact cement ot better is a high strength high temp spray glue , all the ither stuff fails in the sun and heat

Dont glue the foam down and carpet , only glue the foam to carpet or foam to wood , otherwise it will bunch up and look horrible

Few tricls , and glue the carpet under the board edge trim with razor blade :-) done

3m glue or similar in a can , autobarn , car paint shops sell it too

And some bunnings do

Wurthers is good

And they sell a mexican one here cfr the name but it works better then 3m and bigger can for less , but causes cancer in mice haha

Foam was going on the underside for a more snug fit and take some vibrations out, What size speakers are a direct fit to the R33 parcel shelf? or is the issue the depth of the speaker cone?

Done my Boot floor in 9mm MDF, Plus glued the orginial floppy one on the bottom just so i have the square foam foot rests ect.

haha holy thread revival! cheers for the comments :)

5yrs after completion, it is still in the car!

Review:

- The carpet fabric has come off, as in if i put my hand on the carpet it will be covered in strands. Probably the sun has caused it to fail?

- My vents didnt stick to the carpet, they have lifted. Stronger glue would have to be used next time.

- I didnt put any foam underneath the shelf, might cause rattling issue once a sub is in the boot :/

Hopefully this DIY will serve for another 5 years :P