SAU Community

Lost License

sky017

tell us your story brother how many times etc? driving history .

iv put my car on carsales - if she sells she sells, if not il be keeping her . so its a win win situation either way.

f**k there's a lot of irrelevant/wrong info in this thread.

You have 2 things that might happen from here depending if you've lost all your points or if you had more than 6 points on your license. If you're on your p's you're in first boat.

6 months and 6 points suspension is just that. You lose your license for 6 months and are ineligible to drive a car/bike/boat. After 6 months you get your license back and you can drive again but you're minus 6 points. The 6 points come back in 3 years from the LAST OFFENCE (so if you make it to 2.5years and get a speeding fine - guess what the 3 years starts from then).

The actual suspension starts when you pay (that's admitting guilt).

As far as I know the copper shouldn't have taken your license from you although these days who knows. It used to be that you'd have outstanding matters till you took on the guilt or went to court.

If you have actually lost, lost your license (i.e. you have lost all your points because you had 6 or less left) then you're up for 6 month suspension from the offence, and also either 12 months on 1 point or 3 months with no license. If you pick the 3 month suspension then you get full points back after (thats 12 if you're on a full license).

Anyway, hope that helps.

dead32 - not going to your court appearance twice is just stupid. They would have ruled in absentia so you probably just got the default. If I was the magistrate and you stood me up twice I'd fine you for being an asshole too.

i lost my lisence the other night , and got 6 months + $1569 fine. i dont have to go to court or anything , but i wanted to know do i have to go for my liscence and start all over again on L's?

or do i just have to go back to the rta in 6 months and be issued with a new one? how many points do i get back?

anyone who has a similar experience = could you help me out with some info?

did u loose it cos of no more points or was it suspended? if it was suspened how many points did u have when they took it off u. cos im pretty sure if the rta will take ur ponits of u when get ur license back. but if u have enough points u should be right. this happened to a mate of mine but he didnt have enough and lost it again.

last time i copped a suspension on my p's some 2 years ago i slowly lost all points over a period. shit like mobile phone, and driving a manual etc..

3 months off and when i got my licence back i was back on 0 points so a fresh start again.. tho i do beleive its changed since then, and i think when your on p's its very different now days!

Edited by Angus Smart

there is one fundamental thing wrong with everything, everyone has said except for angus smart. and that is you start your licence with ZERO points and they add demerit points for certain offences. each licence has a maximum number of points you can accrue. once you exceed that you start getting suspensions. so when the lady told you you will be on zero points that COULD mean you are back on zero again, and being on your p's you can accumulate a max of 7 demerit points (if you are on greens i think it's 4 points for reds).

i called the rta up a week ago . im temporarily suspended . but when i do get my license back , i wont have any points . i will recieve my points back which will be 6 . when i get to my black license . so tecnically i have a yr and several months on zero points - which i need to be really carefull. but if i have the slightest infringement im off for 3 months .

TO: someonestolecc

6 months and 6 points suspension is just that. You lose your license for 6 months and are ineligible to drive a car/bike/boat. After 6 months you get your license back and you can drive again but you're minus 6 points. The 6 points come back in 3 years from the LAST OFFENCE (so if you make it to 2.5years and get a speeding fine - guess what the 3 years starts from then).

The actual suspension starts when you pay (that's admitting guilt).

i asked them that , i think your wrong with that statement . instead of it restarting . it just pauses because im on no points . and then the time carries on.. so no need to have to restart that 3 years from last offence etc..

cheers for info though ... found rta to be most usefull since the rules are made by them and we abide by them

Back in April i had 0 demerit points, then in that month i got busted a few times and ended up with about 18 demerit points =)

I didn't lose my license at that time because i hadn't paid all the fines, etc etc. I then got caught AGAIN 2 months later (still hadn't paid 2 fines) and lost a further 3 imaginary points (grand total of 21 demerit points =)). The copper gave me my license back, told me to pay my outstanding fines, and enjoy public transport.

Once I paid all my fines, I got a letter in the mail a month later (total of about 4months from the time i went over the 12points) stating when I will lose my license and for how long (in my case a total of 6 months (3 months for losing 12pts, and 3 months for getting busted doing 30 over)).

It's been over 4 months now since I lost my license, and I tells ya, it's a kunt.

If this is the first time you've lost your license, you also get a choice to take "1yr on 2points" instead of losing it for 6 months meaning if you get busted just ONCE, you lose your license for double your original suspension duration automatically.

Summary: You can legally drive until you get that letter. Once you get your license back, you will get all your points back unless it states otherwise in the letter. Try not to drive when you lose it or you will get "pwned". =)

i got suspended for 6 months = i loose all my points , cause i think i only have 6 . the cop wrote the date i get my license back and it was from the date i got this fine. he said you are suspended from now .

and i got 21 days to pay my fine..

i doubt i could still drive now , because :

1/ he took my license and said i cant drive home and if i got caught things could get worse for me . some one had to pick my car up . but i drove home cause no one would at 1 .30 on a saturday morning lol..

2/ the dates on the paper slip are fixed . he didnt say to me the time starts when u pay the cash , otherwise why would they give me 21 days , theyd say when u pay the fine - the period is enforced.

3/ on the paper it also says i have surrendered to the officer for exceeding 45km/over . and that a period of 6 months has elapsed from the date of the offence .

Edited by sky017