SAU Community

Rick Kelly Should Have Been Shot Into The Sheets

Roy

yes, troy has awoken one of my biggest gripes. here we have a champion who (correct me if I'm wrong) has not one a single round in V8SC, or even a single race. Yet craig has had more wins, more 2nds, more 3rds. but because he missed 1 race and RKelly has been finishing in the 10 ten at near on every race he get's the championship.

also, in race two if lowndes had finished 4th with kelly 5th apparently there would have been a 3 point lead to CL into the last race.

as it was craig moved up to 3rd (and consequently kelly up to 4th) which meant craigs lead REDUCED??? how the fck does that work? how can you have a championship that penalises a driver for moving further up the order?

To be fair, RKelly did win one race this year.

Blame the points system, not the driver. RIngall shouldn't have won the year earlier (Ambrose should have, again). They have fixed it for next year, however.

Edited by djr81

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No point SK.... if you don't see it for what is well what can be done.

I can individually correct you on all points again, but why say it all over again. Look at the footage It doesnt lie neither does the nice deep ding (passenger side of grille and bonnet) that R.K's car sported for the rest of the race. you don't get that kind of damage from rubbing bumper to bumper.

Now: the expression "to hang someone out to dry" is an expression used when you leave some nowhere else to go... it is not dependant on his position on the track what so ever be it inside or outside.

Have a look at the footage and stills.

Edited by madbung

lol, fair enough one race win. good for him. hehe :D

yes, the points system is to blame, not the drivers that were smart enough to drive for 5th place (as opposed to the silly ones who choose to race to win). it still doesn't stop me being pissed off that we have a champion who in my eyes wasnt the best driver/car/team out there this year. lowndes was and maybe tander after him.

how silly though that a driver can be punished (relative points to a rival) for moving up the order from 4th to 3rd (which is where the big points pay-off should start).

Round 11 was what killed lowndes really, not the last race punting. not completing all races meant he dropped 100 points on RKelly that round. EDIT: actually round 1 was even worse. CL only took away 160 that time, and Rkelly had one of his best scoring 300 points. 140 point gap opened out right then.

But Ingall had won rounds and races and Bathursts in a combination where i see him equally contributing to the Bathurst wins

I highly doubt if Rick would have won either Bathursts if he wasnt partnered with Murphy. He has never won a V8 round, ever. So how can a guy that has never won a V8 round, irrespective of season win the drivers championship?

Its not good for the sport to be rewarding the bloke who is always a few rows behind the guys winning.

Yeh very disapointed hey...........BUT tander did get his black flag, and Rick did get his black flag and served it! Just a pity Craig got hit! BUT you know what pissed me off the most.......... Was the fact that 888 only changed tyres in thier pitstops, and i can't work out why they didn't have a crack at bashing the steering arm(or whatever the bent item was) straight, which in my eyes could have taken less time than taking 3 or 4 stops AND losing time on the track! But meh oh well, theres always next year!

I think the points system is pretty good actually........ It rewards the more consistant over the whole year! Which is why i'm quite surprised not to see Richo up there more!

Edited by Deluxe

Having said all that I doubt the results will be changed and another champ instated.. Something to cringe @ in the record books atleast.

You guys are spot on re: points system not rewarding talent and consistency and just rewarding the consistent...probably best to regard the whole season as an aberration that hopefully will never happen again.

Edited by madbung

Because if you bash the steering arm there is a good chance you will break it.

The points system sucks wang. What it is designed to do is give the bloke in 32nd place something to tell his sponsors about.

Not like it would have mattered hey........considering he finnished last!!!!

And as for the "bloke in 32nd place" somehow i don't think he would have ended up anywhere near the top! Your not the champion if your consistantly 32nd, It's not like Modern Regularity buddy, you still need to be consistantly in the top 10 to have a chance! So your basically saying that ball bag Scafe or Tander should have won the Championship if they both had the most race wins this year????

it's complete arse choccolate to tell me it's a good idea to have the fool in 1st get 128 points and the bloke in third getting 120. you could win every race bar 1 DNF and have another bloke come third in every race and beat you for the title. that my friends is rubbish.

Not like it would have mattered hey........considering he finnished last!!!!

And as for the "bloke in 32nd place" somehow i don't think he would have ended up anywhere near the top! Your not the champion if your consistantly 32nd, It's not like Modern Regularity buddy, you still need to be consistantly in the top 10 to have a chance! So your basically saying that ball bag Scafe or Tander should have won the Championship if they both had the most race wins this year????

I didn't say the bloke in 32nd would end up near the top! The point I was making was that if you stop awardsing points at, say, 10th place, then teams such as Britek, Team Kiwi, Team BOC etc probably won't get many or indeed any points at all during the year. Having points allocated so far down the list atleast allows the teams towards the back to have something to show for their efforts.

Tander should have gotten a better result in chamionship terms this year. As should Lowndes & a heap of others. A DNF (More correctly, two) will kill you champrionship, whereas stooging around in 6th place every weekend will win you a trophy. That is the inherent problem with the current points system.

yes it rewards people who:

have just enough pace to sit somewhere in the bottom half of the top ten, occaisionaly breaking into the top half

have a very reliable car

DONT take any risks

DONT race for wins

can drive very conservatively and accept that with enough 5th and 6th place finishes the championship is as good as won.

this is not good racing. I personally want to see cars tuned to the limit. Drivers racing to the limit for that top step of the podium. and I want to see those particular drivers rewarded for that effort come points counting time.

The points system was designed to make sure that the Championship winner was decided at the last race meeting of the year. No anticlimactic race meetings run after the championship had been won. Cochrane's comment, "isn't it fantastic that the last race on the calendar will decide the Champion". The points spread made sure that was the case.

If I remember rightly, if they had used the MotoGP points for each race, Tander would have won the championship before Bahrain. Cochrane wouldn't like that, less people might turn up to the last race meeting, so he would get less money. V8Supercars don't run on petrol, they run on money and lots of it.

:) cheers :laugh:

And you know whats gonna make next year even worse........... Channel 7! Damn shame to see Channel 10 no longer with them! except those really really really really really gay Channel 10 race suits! will be glad to see the end of those! :)

i thought that Thruster looked quite smart and dashing in his sea blue overalls

I concede that Lowndes was off line but that shouldnt absolve Kelly of giving him the tap. I didnt recall seeing any smoke comming off Kellys front tyres in an attempt to pull up. I would have thought that given they were both in the grey zone that a brake lockup would have occured earlier and with less breaking force...would be nice to see Kellys data on the brake force.