SAU Community

Removing Hicas

Cash31

I am wanting to remove the whole hicas assembly, in the form of getting rid of anything related to it completely. I would like to know all the parts that will need to be either removed or replaced. Ill be replacing the rear cradle, i understand that the r32 cradle is a direct swap, but is it true that all r32's came out with hicas as well? Will an s13 rear cradle fit?

A few things im also unsure of, is there a difference between the front steering racks and power steering pump of the hicas and non hicas models? And will it pose any problems upon removing the hicas ecu?

Cheers

Cash

yeah the a31 cradle is the same as the s13 i removed my hicas the other week but used a lock bar the front rack doesnt have to be replacced just unbolt the lines that go to the hicas rack no fluid comes out of them. and you can remove the gizzards out of the pump or loop it or buy a non hicas pump

S13 rear cradle is different to A31, the A31 uses a drum-in-disc handbrake (like the skylines).

You are better off using an R32 rear cradle for the drum handrake and bigger brakes than both the A31 and S13. I have an S13 cradle in my cefiro, I need to get custom handbrake cables made for it. ;)

According to this website http://www.alljapanesecars.com the GTST and the GTS25 had hicas, the GTS and GTS4 didn't have hicas. Though thats nothing a lock bar won't fix.

I recently removed hicas (removed everything related to it like you want to do).

As for removing the lines, it's covered in salads guide.

As for looping the pump hicas-outlet to the resevoir hicas-return, I made my own little guide.

Remove everything that was related to the hicas, the only lines left should be the supply from the pump to the front rack, and the return from the front rack to the resevoir.

Look at your pile of discarded hoses and fittings. Find the banjo-bolt fitting that connects to the hicas-outlet of the pump. There is a hose clamp connecting this banjo-bolt fitting to a rubber hose. Using another hose clamp, connect the other end of the rubber hose to the resevoirs hicas-return. Make sure the hose is suitably long enough so as not to get in the way of your turbo intake pipe. So the hicas side of the pump goes directly to the hicas inlet on the resevoir.

Exactly the same as the directions for R32, except there is no power steering cooler on the A31, though if you bought an R32 halfcut, you could fit the cooler using some longer rubber hoses and a couple more hose clamps.

The only thing further you could do would be to replace the pump and resevoir with non hicas units.

Leeroy_pat_12 - Can you please explain about removing the internals of the rear stage of the pump?

-Luke ;)

To remove the internals of the rear stage of the pump, you have to take the pump off, take the cover off, and remove the impeller. Fairly length job.

If you just loop the lines, either straight out the pump back into the resevoir or looping stock lines with a bit of hose, it does the same thing, but is a 30min job.

If you do modify the pump, you will save a poofteenth more weight, and you can plug everything else up. Do it if you can be bothered... But if you just loop the lines, you leave yourself more open to install a powersteering cooler later on

Edited by salad