SAU Community

Gearbox / Centre Diff Problem

Stinky Rooster

My baby (S1 '97 Stagea 25X RS Four) has developed a rawther distressing noise and I am really hoping someone out there will have some ideas.

When the gearbox is under load, there is a rattle coming from the top of the gearbox/centre diff that sounds a bit like a loose bit of plastic or something, but it is coming from under the shifter console. Before anyone asks, yes I am sure it isn't just a loose bit of plastic. I had a similar sound in an old falcon once and it turned out to be the speedo drive working its way out of its retaining bush in the gearbox, but isn't the speedo in these things electronic?

The noise is only apparent when the gearbox is under any load (accelerating or maintaining constant speed) and it is getting louder everytime I drive it.

Another thing it is doing, and I don't know if this is related or not, is there is a slight "shudder" apparent at low speed and constant speeds

I have only had the car a week and a half and I am really glad I chickened out of a personal import because at least I have a warranty, but I still want to hear any opinions.

HEEEEELLLPPP!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SILLY QUESTION TIME - (HENCE THE HANDLE)

If there is no centre diff, what in the hell is the massive lump for in the floor on the passenger front side for? I just assumed it was a centre diff. Front transfer case maybe?

Also, to confirm, trans fluid should be checked with engine on and gearbox warmed up? if so, then I have the right fluid levels, but as I said, I have only had the car for a week and a half and I think I would have noticed if there was a massive leak by now.

Next question - how seperated is the gearbox and the ATTESSA system? Is there any way one could leak fluid into the pther?

Yep sure does, how do I check the gear box level? Can't find a dip stick where I would expect to... :laugh:

from memory i think my mech cheked it where we pour the oil in. May i suggest that you migh want to pour in a bottle of the auto transmission additive made by nulon. you will notice substantial differences. This is just an option/

from memory i think my mech cheked it where we pour the oil in. May i suggest that you migh want to pour in a bottle of the auto transmission additive made by nulon. you will notice substantial differences. This is just an option/

Yudy, you have a 5 speed manual 260RS! I have an auto, they are very different...

My car has the shudder in the transmission at constant speed. It felt like a failing uni joint at first, (count how many there are of them under there!!). I noticed the shudder was there when sitting at the lights in D and it dissapears when in N. It can be made to dissapear by backing off and coasting. Another symptom I have is when giving the car a bootful from a 15km curve that climbs out of a gorge. If I do this on a hot day it turns the 4WD light on and goes into 2WD.

My first check was for the level of the ATTESSA system. This can be found in the back on the right hand side behind the little door. This should be checked when the ignition is on and the ATTESSA pump running and probably on level ground.

My second check was to bleed any air out of the pump and transmission. This is done via a pair of little bleed nipples when the pump is running. One is above the diff (hard to see at first but it is there). The second is just at the back of the transmission housing. There was a fair amount of air in there.

My third check was the transmission fluid level. This is done after the transmission is warmed up, in N, on level ground and idling. It is checked with the dipstick on the firewall.

None of these things have fixed the problem.

My next move is to replace the transmission fluid and filter, and replace the ATTESSA fluid by bleeding the fresh fluid through as it had muck in it.

I believe the transfer case has its own sump. I have to investigate how to refresh it's oil.

The oils to use can be found in the maintenance or parts section in this very forum.

Yep sure does, how do I check the gear box level? Can't find a dip stick where I would expect to... :happy:

Dude - it is buried behind the rocker cover just slightly toward the drivers side, hard up against the firewall. It took me 10 minutes of searching before my wife came out, pointed straight at it and batted her eyelids at me....

:P

just some advice about the 4wd attessa setups. the container in the boot area for the attessa is only for the pump it does not show the level of the fluid in the actual transfer case itself, to check the TF case level u need to jack car up so its level and get under and pull the filler plug out (top one of the 2), its on the very rear of the gearbox (its actually on the TF case but the tf case is on the rear of the box).

use auto tranny fluid for the transfer case, Nissan have Matic D or castrol make a new synthetic one called Transmax or something like that from memory.

use auto tranny fluid for the transfer case, Nissan have Matic D or castrol make a new synthetic one called Transmax or something like that from memory.

would this apply to auto stageas only? or would it also be applicable in manuals???

just curious cos i am looking at doing a fluid purge right thru the car soon including brake fluid etc.

would this apply to auto stageas only? or would it also be applicable in manuals???

just curious cos i am looking at doing a fluid purge right thru the car soon including brake fluid etc.

both manual and auto stageas use auto fluid in the TF case :happy: also the transfer case fluid is totally seperate to the gearbox fluid.

For the love of all that is good and holy DO NOT PUT ATF FLUID IN A MANUAL GEARBOX!!!!!!

You need to put gear oil in it. There are some excellent synthetic gear oils about but if you put auto tranny fluid in a manual, you will destroy your gearbox in very short order

i kinda figured you wouldn put atf in the manual box but was told to also use normal gear oil in the transfer too? so will hafta check this out a little further with the local skyline guru.

sorry - mybad, I should have realised you wouldn't be that dumb. :happy:

I have had a mate that put 14 litres of engine oil in to his Mazda 626 - when asked why, he said it was because he looked down the filler hole and couldn't see the oil level so he just kept adding.

And yes, the engine did "hydraulic" and stick a con rod thru the block (chortle)

Edited by newbie101

heres a post i found when doing a search for oxford...

This may or may not be useful - straight out of the Australian delivered GTR32 owner's manual:

Recommended lubricants:

Fuel: Premium unleaded - min octane 95 RON

Engine: API SG 7.5-30 Turbo

Manual transmission: API GL-4 80W-90

Transfer case: Nissan Matic "D"

Power Steering Rack: Dexron II

Cooling System: Nissan LLC (long life coolant)

Brake and Clutch: DOT 4

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...c=58968&hl=

read the whole thread as plenty of knowledgable users have said use "matic D" or regular ATF fluid is fine.

this is castrols reccomendations...

Engine Castrol formula R 10/60

Gearbox Syntrans 75w/85

Transfer case Transmax Z

Front Diff Syntrax 75w/90

Rear diff SAF-XA 80W-140

4wd TRANSMAX Z

pwr steer TRANSMAX Z

Brake super response dot 4

Clutch super response dot 4

Edited by CruiseLiner

Yudy, you have a 5 speed manual 260RS! I have an auto, they are very different...

Alex my 4wd lancruiser is an auto i tried the nulon additive on the auto gearbox and it made a HUGE difference in shifting ETC. try it you wont regret it

Also i think i posted lists of oils lubricants remmended by mobil too. Cant remember where i posted it up at though soz. Its what i wass recommended by mobil when i purchase all the oils from them.

Edited by stasis

I have the same problem with shuddering at constant speeds, but my car is getting serviced on thursday, and im getting my new tranny cooler fitted so the tranny fluid will be replaced so i guess ill see how i go.

But ill let you all go