SAU Community

Gearbox / Centre Diff Problem

Stinky Rooster

This is my flogged out old shaft from in front of the transfer case. It didn't have a needle left in it.

post-32066-1166483920.jpg

I went to SSS in Giraween and got another from a R32-GTR for $120. It had a little stiffness in one axis already. You can see the size difference between the two.

post-32066-1166483944.jpg

I don't think it would be any stronger as it still cuts down to the same diameter as the original. The extra diameter gave me grief when I was fitting it as it has about 1mm clearance from a banjo fitting for the transmission cooler line. But worse for me it was hitting the selector cable at the back of the box. There was a little balance weight which hit a sleeve which guides the selector cable around the back of the transmission. It took two re-assemblies and two pieces of skin to get it all correct. The selector needed adjusting for length at the shifter after I had finished. I expect that the manual transmission had a lot more room for this shaft but the auto is really close to the shaft. If I have any more grief with this hitting the box I will machine the old shaft to accept some replaceable unis of some description.

PS if you are occasionally having trouble getting the car out of park with the pushbutton not disengaging the shifter, adjust the length of the cable just under the centre console.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am almost ready to say that this may be a weakness with the S1 stagea. Your yoke looks exactly the same as mine did (kicks self for not taking photos) except mine had broken a large piece off and the uni bearing was half hanging out. I didn't actually consider how much extra clearance would be needed for the GTR shaft, but the collapsed uni in mine was enogh to cause my shaft to knock about against a few things under there. :( so it makes sense.

Everyone should at least do a visual check of this the next time you have the chance - my car is sooooo much smoother and nicer to drive now