SAU Community

Removing Rear Quarter Window On R32

intune

Not as such, but i've heard that its pretty tricky to do without breaking it.

I'm not sure how accurate this is though, it might have just been the panelbeater spinning sh*t so he could charge more

Yes.

But we used a window remover thing, kinda like a cross between an electric knife and spatula.....cuts through the black gooey stuff and out she comes.

Thanks for the reply Duncan, how did you get the surround of the window off?

hmm don't really remember must have been fairly straightforward. Inside trim is held in with clips, so you yank them out breaking them all and then look around local car part shops hoping to find new ones to match so you can put it back in.

I assume there is a proper way to do it though :ninja:

yes it is. the rubber seal and the glass is one piece. my advice is dont remove them unless you have no other choice. When I resprayed my car I insisted they remove them to ensure good finish, and no build up. BUT they told me I was being pedantic and that if masked properly, and painted properly it wouldn't be a problem. I wish I listened. mine came out, and went back in but the seals dont like quite the same as they did before :ninja:

The quarter glass and seal is one piece, but between the glass and the metal of the car body is a sikaflex bead seal.

Panelbeater broke my right side qtr as well, it had to come out to get at the cancer. The replacement looks good, whilst the original on the left has a banged up outer seal.

• 1 year later...

There's also a 10mm nut on the inside rear. Hard to believe but true. The stud for the nut is bonded to the glass. I removed mine when we painted the car with the tried and proven piano wire method. Careful not to damage it at all, as the seals don't come away from the glass - one piece.