SAU Community

Vehicle Tracking

geno8r

i have used both quiktrak and ezitrak (http://www.ezitrak.com.au/) and i prefer ezitrak.

ezitrack is around $1300 installed, not sure about if you have it commercially monitored but if you self monitor you only pay for mobile plan and call charges. (~$9/month plan is fine)

just some food for thought, if you use a company monitored device the company are not allowed to tell you where your car is so if it is stolen, the onus is on the police to find it in time, and you will not be told the location.

if you choose quiktrak which does not use GPS have a good look at coverage maps, as in NSW coverage is limited to metro areas.

Just wondering if anyone has their vehicles fitted with a GPS tracking device? How well does it work, who are you with, price?

Some companies i've found on google here:

http://www.gpstrackingaustralia.com.au/vehicle-tracking.html

http://www.intellitrac.com.au/SVT.htm

Thanks

;)

Telstra have a new SIM card that when fitted into a GSM alarm system Cost around $400 - $700 depending which system you use, and you can track the vehicle your self on the net at www.gofinder.net.au or .com.au not sure, but it costs around $30 for 20 views of your car, call me for more details

edit by raz0r$harp: it's www.gofinder.net

• 2 weeks later...

anyone using this ?? i went to the website just now.. looks kinda cool.. allthough from what i read it looks like it doesnt actualy track your car, more it will send an sms with the location when you request it ??

so in theory if your car was stolen and parked underground where gsm wont work and you havnt requested the location in the last few minutes you wont realy have a clue ??

Telstra have a new SIM card that when fitted into a GSM alarm system Cost around $400 - $700 depending which system you use, and you can track the vehicle your self on the net at www.gofinder.net.au or .com.au not sure, but it costs around $30 for 20 views of your car, call me for more details

edit by raz0r$harp: it's www.gofinder.net

anyone using this ?? i went to the website just now.. looks kinda cool.. allthough from what i read it looks like it doesnt actualy track your car, more it will send an sms with the location when you request it ??

so in theory if your car was stolen and parked underground where gsm wont work and you havnt requested the location in the last few minutes you wont realy have a clue ??

correct. though that is the downfall on most of these. get it underground far enough and it cannot respond. that siad if its on telecom they tend to work in buildings anyway due to the mini cells they use.

ya but with a proper gps (as oposed to gsm) it would be constantly tracking it.. so if it went underground you'd no its last location a few seconds before it disapered.

If only the insurance companies gave you some sort of discount for tracking alams id so buy one :santa:

correct. though that is the downfall on most of these. get it underground far enough and it cannot respond. that siad if its on telecom they tend to work in buildings anyway due to the mini cells they use.

• 10 years later...

Just for everyones information, and whoever may stumble upon this thread as I have, Car tracking technology has advanced pretty quick in the last few years, and now there are some really great trackers available. However, there are also a lot of copycat Chinese brands that design the tracker to look exactly the same, but they use inferior internal components.

Nowdays there's so many different trackers available,  there's one we always recommend to beginners due to it's simplicity.

There's three main reasons for this:

1. The tracker has an in-built battery, so you don't have to get an auto electrician to wire it to your car. You just hide it anywhere inside the car, or on the outside with it's waterproof and magnetic case, and you're ready to roll.

2. This battery lasts for 3 months, meaning you only have to charge it 4 times each year. This is WAYYY longer than many of the other car trackers currently available.

3. There are no monthly contracts like many of the big tracking companies. All you need to do is purchase a pre-paid SIM card (like the same one you use in your mobile phone). Try to get one that allows your credit to last 6 months, preferably a year, that way you don't need to keep topping it up every month. Then just put $20-$30 credit and that should be fine for an entire year of tracking!

TK905-Tracking-Device-1.jpg

The device has an app that can be used on your iPhone/Android for live tracking and other features. Or you can simply call the phone number associated with the SIM card inside the tracker, and you get an instant SMS reply with various details (speed, direction etc) as well as a Google Maps Link to the exact location of your car.

For an indepth review please click here.

Cheers, Luca.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...