SAU Community

I Have Been Bitten By The Power Bug!

QRI05E

Al,

Robo's car has IRS like yours, so basically the suspension setup is the same.

To help you get more traction you can't look past what is one of the most overlooked and yet most effective mods : PINEAPPLES ! --- these little $100 beauties will give you a big improvement in grip, so slap them on if you haven't already.

Drag racing is always lots of fun even when you don't get the greatest times. Having a 'fun' attitude to it usually sees you do better times since you aren't all uptight about it. :)

Rev210, i was simply refering to Robo's car being set up for street/drag.

I have a full whiteline handling kit, with optioned pinapples and camber bushes. I'd like to think my car is set up for circuit/motokahna/drift, so the pinapples have been installed for "all round performance" and not only for "grip", which changes the angle of the craddle.

My initial point i was trying to make was that a well set-up suspension will get you much more than "2 tenths" down the 1/4 mile (as Ash has stated). I believe it will get you closer to 8 tenths or more; as off the line traction/launch is the most crutial element of drag racing.

Also i still say that a solid diff/axle set up (non IRS) will have more traction than IRS, therefore the R31 is better suited. With IRS the best setup would be to have +ve camber at the rears, so that when the car squates, on take off, the wheels will pull in and effectivly have 0deg camber, thus having the full face of the tyre in contact with the tarmac. With my car i have -1deg at the rear (for circuit, etc), so when i launch and the ass end squates, this -ve camber increases, thus resulting in less tyre contact on the road. Having lowered suspension also doesn't help the situation, as there is less travel.

I occationally like doing drags as i do enjoy it, especially with the slicks :) I dodn't treat it seriously as my car is not set up for it. Just like to get out there and have a blast in a controlled environment :sorcerer: .

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i currently am doing something similar to this my turbo just arrived a gt30r IW from sliding rated to around 500hp or as slide told me on the phone good for 270-300kw i hav also got a o44 fuel pump, orderd a ems enginemanagement system. and injectors arriving next week some 740 nismo's my aim is for around 350hp hopefully il post up my results when everythings fitted

sam

Give Garrett a call, they made up a prototype direct bolt on kit for the RB25DET, it will include a dump pipe to suit as well.

I have the first one made on my car and it performs great...full ball bearing cartridge.

The dyno sheet is here :

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...p;#entry2742135

on the last page.

Also i still say that a solid diff/axle set up (non IRS) will have more traction than IRS, therefore the R31 is better suited.

HR31's have IRS just like R33 :)

My "2/10s" was just making a point. Of course if you have a full drag setup then its going to help more.

But most people drive thier cars daily, most have coil overs that are harder than standard suspension etc etc.

One car really doesny vary massively to another when speaking generally.

All you have to do is look @ the cars timeslips and it will tell you many things about what the car does, or does not have.

After chatting to Berin after his runs later on that day he was saying its a lot different with the tyres, so its all about expirience and getting used to them, i have no doubt he will crack a low 12 if he stuck at it.

Like i said earlier. Sarkis will easily run a mid 12 sec pass with what his plan is, there is really no reason other than driver error that will stop it as its a very realistic target

the old power argument again...

all depends on what u want it setup for...drags/street/race..garage :)

I have done everything for street...maybe bit of drag. I dont care what my max power figure is...although it is impressive.

I have a GTST which has all major mods performed...dunno how much its cost, maybe 20k on top of the price of the car...

Its worth it...its fun...if u run a low 12..great..if u dont...who cares just tell u mates u did - thats what most ppl seem to do anyway!

one thing I forgot to say...

once u have upgraded all ur bits...ur clutch is prob. not gonna last too long...mine lasted only a few months before it was mush...depending on what power...single plate is easier...I have twin which is 2 days old now...sucks a bit but I'm getting used to it...

Al,

good to hear you have the whiteline kit. It's an excellent balance for multipurpose use. For drag racing it's a lot better than stock suspension ,which isn't completely hopeless. Where people go belly up in street/drag setup is going too hard with shocks/springs, ironically the same people who have these 'circuit style' coilovers can end up with something that handles worse than stock in every environment.

Takes only 15min to change the pinapples to 'drag' setting for a day at the track. Swap them back when you go home.

I was under the impression that the whole craddle had to be lowered to install the top pinapples.

I used to have really hard coil-overs (Kei office) when i first bought my car, really bad for the street as it use to skip when hitting a bump. The last thing i wanted to do was go hard round corners, hit a small bump/imperfection mid-corner and have the ass end skipping sideways :( . For the last 4yrs i have been using an Australian manufactured coil-over, Hot Bits, stupid name but great product and works well with the Whiteline Handling pack.

Do you ever disconnect your sway-bars for drag racing? I have been tempted to do so, but could not be bothered, let alone installing the extra 2 pinapples for drag racing :(

seriosuly stock suspension is ghey. esp if its done 150+k on them...take them off and you can depress the shocker by hand..

every since i put in my Bilstien stockers and some lower spings the thing handles really awsome...

this plus the whiteline kit = fast corners.

seriosuly stock suspension is ghey. esp if its done 150+k on them...take them off and you can depress the shocker by hand..

every since i put in my Bilstien stockers and some lower spings the thing handles really awsome...

this plus the whiteline kit = fast corners.

Did you get the whiteline springs to go with the bilstiens off Sydney kid?

Any side on pics of your ride height if thats what you've got?

Serious! :(

I honestly thought they were solid. Damn Nissan were Soooooooooooooooo far ahead of the Austrlian manufacturers

note the H ...this means JDM... All aussie r31's are however live rears.

Also HR31 is trailing arm is it not?

Give Garrett a call, they made up a prototype direct bolt on kit for the RB25DET, it will include a dump pipe to suit as well.

I have the first one made on my car and it performs great...full ball bearing cartridge.

The dyno sheet is here :

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...p;#entry2742135

on the last page.

Any details or pics ?

Cheers A .

Any details or pics ?

Cheers A .

Still waiting on official spec sheet from Garrett, they will be marketing these soon and I will make a specific thread about them hopefully within the next week or so.

I had very little input into the whole process, they took my car and a few weeks later I got it back with the prototype on. They were very impressed with the performance and it has been matched specifically to the RB25.

If you are genuinely interested send me a PM and when it becomes available I will be sure to send you all updates. I will not start a specific thread until price, specs etc are set in concrete.

Did you get the whiteline springs to go with the bilstiens off Sydney kid?

Any side on pics of your ride height if thats what you've got?

bilstiens have notches which allow you to lower the car without sacrifcing shocker travel - therefroe the ride height can be adjusted. I bought mine form Centreline Suspension in Vic...and got King springs to match - the model I have is specifically matched for the bilstiens...

The king spring specs are:

KDFL-101 - 175lb/" / 3.1kg/mm

KDRL-61SP - 185lb/" / 3.2kg/mm

Just perfect for my setup...not to stiff.

I just came back from a cruise up to Black Spur...I was hammering this car as hard as I could...the suspension setup is spot on.

There is no comparision to stock...