SAU Community

Running Copper Plugs

Is anyone here running copper spark plugs and is there any reason you can"t. Im running 1.1mm iridiums at the moment but it has been suggested to me ( reputable tunner ) to run a 0.8 mm set of coppers because iridiums foul too easy. It's not that i dont trust him but I just want to know if there is anyone else has done the same and wondering if its a good option or not - thanks

Is anyone here running copper spark plugs and is there any reason you can"t. Im running 1.1mm iridiums at the moment but it has been suggested to me ( reputable tunner ) to run a 0.8 mm set of coppers because iridiums foul too easy. It's not that i dont trust him but I just want to know if there is anyone else has done the same and wondering if its a good option or not - thanks

My understanding is the Iridiums are recommended as they're meant to last a nice long time (somewhere around 100,000 kms). The fact is, as we're not running the recommended fuel for our machines (cos' it's not available), they run rich and foul the plugs much quicker than they should. Considering you're gonna have to clean them (which you shouldn't do with Iridiums - you remove the coating) or replace them, it's much cheaper to get coppers at ~~$25 then Iridiums at ~~$125. I change mine about every 20k... dunno what the recommended interval is, but by the time I pull them out to look at them I've replaced them anyway.

Oh, and copper conducts better then Iridium too.

Now, the recommended plug is a 1.1mm. If you need to go to a 0.8mm, it's cos the spark isn't strong enough (tired coils, more boost, etc. not allowing a proper spark across 1.1mm). That said, going to a 0.8mm is an easy way to fix problems - I do this on my 33. Probably the quickest fix if your machine is coughing & spluttering at high revs under boost.

Im using ngk irdiums aswell, also had them in my old car, never had any problems with them but then again i have never made decent power of used high boost levels etc.They cost me $80 nzd for a set/6.

Im running the standard gap (1.1mm) at the moment and the car seems to hesitate a little bit sometimes, maybe i should try gapping them down to 0.8mm and see if it makes things better, i have heard of lots of people doing this and had never had a problem so may give it a try.

Alot of questions answered here:

http://www.aa1car.com/library/2004/us30428.htm

Iridiums are just on the outside of the electrode with copper in the middle. Iridium, like platinum, is meant to resist fouling better than copper... apparently.

So correct me if i'm wrong but this is how I understand it, pure copper plus would in effect work better than any platinum/iridium plugs out there, but their life span is shorter than iridium/platinum.

So they'd be good for drags/trackwork/everyday work if you keep an eye on them and change them regurlarily?

long and the short of it

copper plugs= cheaper, do the same job as the iridiums, foul quicker

Iridium plugs=expensive, do the same job as the coppers, more resistant to fouling.

That sed tho, depending on your tune, the iridiums can be useless as they will eventually foul. All comes down to how much you like changing your plugs and playing with ur coilpacks.

Me i prefer not to tocuh the coils as little as possible and therefore use the iridiums but each to his own.