SAU Community

Car Difficult To Slide?

CAT_SPEW

This might sound like a stupid question but I am just wondering why my car is so difficult to control sliding??

It's a 180sx with an RB25 with Tein coilovers.

It's easy enough to get sliding with the power it's making but to keep it going is pretty hard compared to my old 180 (sr20,lowered springs).

It's also got Azenis semi-slicks on the rear.

I've noticed that the inside of the rear tyres are worn more than the outside, would a wheel alignment help me out here or has anyone got any other ideas..

well the wear on the inside edge of the rear tyres is due to the angle, which is called camber, and in your case Negative camber. Im pretty sure that actually helps with the process of sliding.

And i dont know if using semi slicks is going to help you, i mean i was under the impression using semis would increase grip.

semis on the rear = more traction at rear. The rear of the car does not want to slide.

normal tyres at the front = less traction at front than rear.

Therefore, the front will plough outwards when you're trying to drift. Traction should be the other way round.

what are your alignment settings?

Also, when you say drift, are you actually trying to do it properly? or are you just doing some fully sik shkids around on the road?

If you're doing it on the road, obviously, it's more difficult, because it's narrow, and you'd be scared of running into things/cars/people.

Semi's are for traction (ie:circuit), but decent tyres are used by the pro's.

With the RB25 at the front you have totally upset the "ballance" of the car. It is now more front heavy, engine overhangs the wheels further, and the centre of gravity is a little higher.

When drifting, BALLANCE IS VERY IMPORTANT. :P Stick with the SR!

I know the Azenis are part of the problem, but I have driven the car with a pair of old rock hard tyres with hardly any tread and it was better, but still not what I was hoping for..

The only reason they are on there is because they came on the wheels when I bought the car.

I have no idea what my allignment settings are, would my best option be to get the car properly alligned?

Any suggestions

Suggestionsfor Brisbane southside? What should I be expecting to pay roughly?

Accurate suspension. Prob $60 dude. Its just a wheel alinement. Most wheel/tyre/ suspension shops can do them.

Part of the problem too could be your still getting used to the car, and therefore arent 100% confident or commited when in the corner.

Like Al said, balance. Get the same tyres front to rear, get an allignment and it should be a lot better. But unfortunatly the rb is much heavier than the sr and has upset the balance of the car, what you dont want to do now is go soft at the front and hard at the rear, this will make it break away easier, but more difficult to control.

i drove a freshly built 180 that wasn't mine with no wheel alignment done, no suspension tuning, and azenis on the back @ QR, and it wasn't too bad. the rear felt very stiff, and it had around 220rwkw. could be more to do with your suspension setup, and front/rear balance - but a good alignment is also a must.

you drifting on a track or "somewhere else?"

"Hard to keep going" as in the back end hooks up and gets grip, or you're spinning out?

With all that grip in the back (assuming you're running shit front tyres) and all the weight from the RB, the car should understeer. Assuming you've got the power to keep the wheels spinning (you say you can get it to start sliding, so initial understeer isn't an issue), it should be easy to control since the understeer makes the rear less likely to come around on you.

yeah alot of pro drifters use semi slicks on they're cars, but your not a pro i guess.

I would say you due to the weight difference at the frony you may have to get your suspension checked out and perhaps even change the front springs/shocks. Or maybe your just not used to it yet

yeah alot of pro drifters use semi slicks on they're cars, but your not a pro i guess.

Yeah, but they won't use less grippy tyres on the front. They'll run semis all round.

But I'd concur with checking the suspension. Make sure the back springs / dampers / swaybars are hard enough, and maybe get some more toe out. If you can rotate the tyres and put the RT215s up front and the less grippy tyres on the rear, that will also help.

• 2 weeks later...