SAU Community

Intercooler Install On A R33

matteh33

Hey. Installing a justjap intercooler this weekend. Just wondering how to run the pipeing. The current intercooler i have on the car runs the pipeing down into where the stock cooler was so no hole cut etc. Can someone please post some pics of a install or tell me where i can go to check out how to run the pipeing?

thanks.

if you've got the just jap kit then you dont have a choice where the piping goes, unless you want to get custom piping made up....

the pipe runs out of the cooler and back up through a hole you'll need to cut, under the water bottle, then up over the fan blades, to a bend and eventually meets up with the intake pipe joined to the plenum

well your 2 options, buy some joiners and some bends got mine relatively cheap and DIY !@!

or go the piping you've got since you have the just jap kit, you could buy a 180 deg bend and use stock piping route ? 180 deg bends are fugly imho but possible with a nice long straight run, by getting a bit of straight pipe and re-useing some stock piping where possible... depends on application ofcoarse with some bends you could re-use from the jj kit ?

the kit as it is should fit but an option if your touchy on cutting your car or paying someone else do it for you... remember to rust proof the cut, I've seen a few who havent and the cars have gotten oxidisation/cancer...aka rust which has to be cut out and done properly after anyways.

Theres some real helpful performance shops (paying for materials and the 5mins of thier time on mandrel), probably out of ofcuts but isnt going to be a problem since its longer than your going to need anyways since your after bends and enough to put a lip on it (DIY brazing FTW...easy as piss for a pc jockey anyways) they will give you more than you need and you might need to cut it. I dont know they want to do this kind of work allot as I havent asked etc but where i get mine the shop fabricates thier own kits which are seriously some great work, awsome contruction, but i imagine not a high amount of profit when it comes to selling bends etc.

either way.... call your local shops for some prices etc.

p.s. if your nsw / western sydney HIGHLY RECOMMEND plazmaman and co for help, great blokes, helpful and believe me the price is right for some bends and joiners etc. thier kits are pricy compared to ebay crap but take a look at the work... always something to have a gander at in the shop... (read from a distance - its not a showroom) though if your buying a kit then they will show you some of their work. show the fellas the respect you would any person aka dont be a dick and know what you want before you go.. aka need bend bla bla x degrees etc etc and they will hook you up. pricing fairly resonable... *read not taking the piss from the customer*. I've personally never bought a kit anywhere always get my bits separately and buy the material I need where I can and knock it together myself wherever possible. modding on a budget is possible but SLOW !! (read mortgage)

over the top sorry but i have been impressed with the boys so im plugging em has a happy customer.

*edit stuff fixing my gramar, you get what you need or you dont eh*

Edited by gts-4 dreamer

• 2 weeks later...

is there anything wrong with running intercooler pipes from a 600 x 300 x 75 to the stock intercooler piping? will i have to keep the pipes the same diameter as the stock gear until it gets to the cooler core? i dont mind the 180 deg bend but im not sure weather it will cause more lag?

I have a question, thought I'd post it in here to save starting a new thread. I have just bought an intercooler kit to fit to my S2 R33. I have the stock front bar on the vehicle, and after looking there doesnt seem to be much room to fit the intercooler behind the bar thanks to the horn, the bonnet release and the centre deflector on the front bar. What have people done to make fit with the original bar, have you taken it to a smash repairer and had some of the bar cut out to fit? Im just after any ideas/advice on what people have done as I dont want to replace the front bar. Thanks.

I have a question, thought I'd post it in here to save starting a new thread. I have just bought an intercooler kit to fit to my S2 R33. I have the stock front bar on the vehicle, and after looking there doesnt seem to be much room to fit the intercooler behind the bar thanks to the horn, the bonnet release and the centre deflector on the front bar. What have people done to make fit with the original bar, have you taken it to a smash repairer and had some of the bar cut out to fit? Im just after any ideas/advice on what people have done as I dont want to replace the front bar. Thanks.

WIht my hybris kit i just bent the horn brackets around to make room, i lef the centre deflector plate.

The metal bumper behind ur front bar needs to be trimmed to fit the cooler. As for the stock front bar i gues u wil have to chop some of that too. I had a aftermarket bar so had no problems.

just follow the hybrid manual and make fure u have a metal hole saw cutter! the cheap wood ones wont work, if unsure just pay some one to do it save ur self the hassle.

WIht my hybris kit i just bent the horn brackets around to make room, i lef the centre deflector plate.

The metal bumper behind ur front bar needs to be trimmed to fit the cooler. As for the stock front bar i gues u wil have to chop some of that too. I had a aftermarket bar so had no problems.

just follow the hybrid manual and make fure u have a metal hole saw cutter! the cheap wood ones wont work, if unsure just pay some one to do it save ur self the hassle.

Cheers

is there anything wrong with running intercooler pipes from a 600 x 300 x 75 to the stock intercooler piping? will i have to keep the pipes the same diameter as the stock gear until it gets to the cooler core? i dont mind the 180 deg bend but im not sure weather it will cause more lag?

Dont the ARC kits which have the piping use the stock holes have a 180 degree bend in them?

These are meant to be really good coolers.

read the link above, theres some real good nfo in there about installing your fmic, dammed near everything.

reversing horns or using a spacer may help puting your cooler at a slight angle which would help cooling anyways, though would mess with flow a little eh (will cuase more reo *shaving*).

s2 33's chop the front bar and spend some time smoothing it out, as the thread above says, anything over ?? 280mm ?? thick will need to shave reo ? mine was 300 and i had to cut into mine. be careful when messing with your reo, if you happen to bend it the wrong way it will look shonky when you re-hang the front bar of it. looks shithouse with big gaps, so will take you a while to fit the front bar properly, specially around all that piping.

Guess a reminder here for anything you cut would be to rust proof it, you dont want you pride an joy developing rust, specially in places that is hard to cut out and replace.