SAU Community

Interesting Brake Setup

Eug

Yeah i can see the practicality for a drifter with a hydr hand brake...

I dont see it as a twin setup for normal braking, as why woudl you not just upgrade to 4 pot brakes and a larger disc.

This would be easier. Also how would you balance the brakes for not only performance but for heat if they were used in the same application...

My money is that its a handbrake drift setup as the drum hand brake on 33's is not flash for snap braking...

I cant speak for porche but i know ferrari use the twin setuip quite a bit...

The reason for this is you can achieve a greater surface area on the rear disc for general braking application because you dont need the drum setup for the hand brake...

It makes perfect sense... As for porche I have not really any idea, but the few i have seen like the GT3's that race up here at QLD raceway they all seem to have 6-8 pot front cal's and 4-6 pot rears...

So i can say i have seen a dual setup on a race spec porche, but as i said I dont really know porche's. My old man called them expensive VW's when i was a kid and taught me the ways of Ford and Holden... :(

Bathurst taught me skyline was king of the mountain...

When you see it on the McLaren F1 and other exotics you will find that they are typically a 4 pot for brakign and a single piston/twin piston for handbrake.

Some race cars do it for enduro racing as the increase in pad area means that have been able to save time in the pits by elminating the need for a pad change

the secondary brake on a ferrari etc is definitely for handbrake - you'll notice that there is no offset part in the rotor for the drum handbrake.

it may have also been done because of the two piece nature of a ceramic rotor, and the desire the use an aluminium hat to reduce weight (rather than a cast iron drum like the harrop solutions - which by what i can see is cast iron)

99-KC17R19A18_sticker.jpg

You also increase your unsprung weight.

?? No it wouldnt. The calipers dont require the power of the engine to spin them, they are stationary as the disc moves, so it wouldnt affect the unsprung weight at all. And as stated above, by making the drum brakes at the rear redundant, you can use a lighter material such as aluminium for the hat, so if anything you are reducing the unsprung weight.

EDIT: Oops my bad, im getting unsprung weight mixed up with the rotational mass components, ie, wheels, drive shafts, brake discs etc. But what are the cons of increasing the unsprung mass?? Doesnt it just come down to a trade off between bump absorbtion and vibration?? As above in my previous, wouldnt it actually still be beneficial to reduce the ROTATIONAL MASS in the system by using lighter materials for the brake disc composition (by no longer needing heavy hats for drum brakes)? This would negate any weight added by an extra caliper system, as well as minusing the weight of the existing drum brake setup. Of course, this only applies to a rear twin caliper setup.

Edited by SLVR32GTR

Making the whole wheel, hub rotor/caliper assembly lighter means the shock doesnt have to work so hard to make sure the whole assembly responds to the road surface changes.

So less weight, better handling as the suspension responds quicker.