SAU Community

Neo6 Or Series2 Into R32

I'm looking at dropping in an RB25DET into my R32 (the RB20 just isnt cutting it anymore) and I'm curious of opinions on which swap is more recommended.

The way I see it, the Neo6 would be nice because it supposedly has a little stonger bottom end, has solid lifters, dual throttle bodies and that sweet looking cover... but what about the wiring? I've been told it can be a nightmare due to the lack of ABS, TCS, etc. on my R32. Would I just be hacking and slashing the Neo loom with my RB20 loom as per the usual R33 RB25 (series 1 or 2, doesnt matter) swap?

Or should I just stick with the series 2 RB25? is the neo that much harder to drop in that it's not worth the effort? I have a chance to get a Neo6 for 500$ more than a series2 which is why it's causing such a dilema.

I'm aiming for 300-330rwkw, would there be any disadvantages to either of the RB25 choices?

I've tried searching here and sdu for an answer on what's required on the swap but so far no luck. nobody really has dropped a neo6 into an hcr32 and posted about it.

basically I understand for the neo6 swap, I will need...

1) engine, trans (i plan on puting out more power than the rb20 gearbox can handle), loom, ecu.

2) lots of time for wiring changes

3) custom tailshaft made up (a friend of mine makes them for a living, not really an issue here :()

4) custom gearbox mount

5) ... anything else?

well, that's about all for my questioning... sorry for so many but unlike you guys in the great land of Australia, I can't really walk into a local speed shop and shoot the shit about this. Usually if i mention a skyline, the first thing the people say is "oh! is that one of those cars with the wheel on the wrong side?!" :(

Assuming that the Neo6 is the RB25DET NEO, you will also need:

5) Crank angle sensor

I have read somewhere on another forum that due to limitations with something in the RB25DET NEO, it is difficult to obtain more than 280kw without a rebuild, but i can't confirm this.

BTW, you can always buy that cover off somewhere if you're just after the look ^_^

Assuming that the Neo6 is the RB25DET NEO, you will also need:

5) Crank angle sensor

I have read somewhere on another forum that due to limitations with something in the RB25DET NEO, it is difficult to obtain more than 280kw without a rebuild, but i can't confirm this.

BTW, you can always buy that cover off somewhere if you're just after the look ^_^

thanks for the info! i can understand the head needing work due to softer valve springs (solid lifters usually come hand-in-hand with soft valve springs) but i thought the bottom end was beefier, anybody else know about this issue of 280kw?

as for just the cover... i quite like the plenum design as well :(