SAU Community

Stage 3 Water Restrictions

eMsta

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its all just typical government knee jerk reactionism... treating the symptoms not the problem...

residential use runs at about 10% of all fresh water use in this coutry... where are all the commercial and industry restrictions?

bah

ps. doesn't bother me tho, I never washed my car anyway! sorry Mavric;)

I agree with you Nick, fix Industry not houses. Fit all factories with huge tanks and make the fitting of home tanks mandatory. Subsidise or pay for residential tanks.

I usually take a bucket and sponge to the car wash anyhow, much easier.

just had a 2 min shower - literally - not too bad - specially if u need to cool off on a hot day....

i will be tryng that bucket and high pressure cleaner thing next week or the week after - see how effective that is. The high pressure cleaning unit does not use up much water so it will be a good test to see how many buckets of water will be needed

The same way they monitor your usage for your bill. If you are using 50 litres a morning, its obvious you are not just shaving and getting a glass of water :P

are they going to read your meter every day? hmm.

dont worry about it too much guys. we have had no washing cars except with buckets, and restrictions on watering the garden in sydney for ages. doesn't really bother me at all.

also, paul, we've never had a restriction on showering in sydney! that would be pretty gross.

are they going to read your meter every day? hmm.

A simple query could be written to monitor water usage that exceeds X litres. If they are serious about it, there will be a way otherwise they wouldnt bother trying to enforce it. :(

.....Fit all factories with huge tanks and make the fitting of home tanks mandatory. Subsidise or pay for residential tanks.

Rebates are available, but if it doesn't rain, people/businesses would have to pay to have water carted (possibly from interstate) in order to fill the tanks.

Melbourne Water are telling us SAVE WATER! SAVE WATER!.... but due to their lack of maintenance on ancient pipes, masses of water seeps into the ground every day due to "minor" cracks in water mains.

(Eg: Boundary Rd last Friday)

Some of these "minor" cracks flow so much water, that every few months random roads get split open and everything within 3 metres (including cars) gets dumped into the hole.

We were stuck with no mains water last night due to some occurrence which residents will probably never be told about...

While standing outside, large amounts of water could be heard gushing, but we couldn't flush the toilet or fill a glass with water. :P

just had a 2 min shower - literally - not too bad - specially if u need to cool off on a hot day....

i will be tryng that bucket and high pressure cleaner thing next week or the week after - see how effective that is. The high pressure cleaning unit does not use up much water so it will be a good test to see how many buckets of water will be needed

If you read the restrictions carefully at stage 3 there is no washing of cars at home at all, except for headlights, windows and mirrors. Only at commercial car washes.

So the high pressure bucket thingo is still illegal. At stage 2 at home you can use a bucket or high pressure cleaner and a hose only for rinsing. So its legal until 1st Jan.

IMHO I think people should get a certain number of tokens when the register their car, say 6 a year. That way people can only wash their cars once every 2 months etc. or more often in summer and dont wash it all winter etc. Going 2 months between washes is easy as.

Rhett

well, shit geelong is on stage 4 restrictions since first week of december...that means no watering of anything including gardens, no washing cars (not even with bucket), and you can only use commercial car washes that use recycled water -> recycled water is bad for your paint job cos they use chemicals in the filtering process....so my advice is to wash your car at home at night so neighbours don't see :)

Ive been bringing a bucket and a sponge to my local car wash for the last 2 months, this is after 9 pm though.

BTW, if you want to save water, start taking a pee in your back yard... ah the joys of being a guy :)

Edited by CCCP