SAU Community

Help Diagnosing Broken Coilpack

fcruz3r

Hi Peeps,

Im thinking of cleaning my AFM but i may need to reset the ecu too.

Just a couple of questions

1. car has a safc and dyno tuned...will disconnecting the ecu cause the SAFC to loose all tuning maps? (i.e: will i need to get it retuned)

2. resetting ecu -- disconnect battery and jump on brakes couple of times and go through a couple bundycokes before reconnecting battery<< did i miss anything.

Edited by fcruz3r

ok i think i've managed to sus out the problem with my car....have a hunch that its a stuffed coilpack coz i popped the bonnet when the car was idling funny...and noticed that i could hear a slight sparking sound coming from the engine just split second before the engine shudders and the misfire is heard on the exhaust.

but how do i find out which of the 6 is stuffed? can anyone give me pointers on how to use a ammeter to test the coilpacks out?

take the coil cover off, then start the car. unplug each coil pack one at a time until you find the plug that when taken off it doesn't cause the car to idle really really badly.

another method is to turn the engine on without the coil cover, then turn the lights out and see which one sparks are coming out of, that'll show you which coil has a short.