SAU Community

Smoke Out Of Catch Can

LTHLRB

recently i just did my exhaust manifold gasket and studs etc, i bled the cooling system right but now when i drive the car smoke comes out of the catch can and whatever breather is on the rocker covers, its an oil burning smoke nothing too big. What can be wrong? any ideas?

thanks for any help

recently i just did my exhaust manifold gasket and studs etc, i bled the cooling system right but now when i drive the car smoke comes out of the catch can and whatever breather is on the rocker covers, its an oil burning smoke nothing too big. What can be wrong? any ideas?

thanks for any help

rings

glazed bore

get ready for a rebuild soon

so my oil rings have had it? its running good still, compression is up to where it normally should b, oil pressure is good, runs healthy.

also, no white or blue smoke is comming out of my exhaust.

Does anyone know a definate answer?

Edited by LTHLRB

does it do it constantly? or just for a few mins or so when starting it... i had a similar problem, when there was a little bit of oil on the filter of the catch can, after about 2 mins it went to normal, also had no smoke out of the exhaust etc etc... motor was taken down and everything is in fine condition... if it does it all the time non stop then id start lookin at the rings etc

ben...

thanks for any help

basically thats what u would call blow by,every motor has to breath and yeh after a good hard floggin on boost mine does the same u pull up take your oil cap lid off and look at the motor breathing..my mate services cars at his workshop that only have 30,000kms and they have blowby, im guessin its just oil vapours nothin to be 2 worried about,once u start filling your catch can with oil on boost then be worried lol

its a std ecu with timing, doesnt ping and is on constant 11psi, i dont drive it soft either. But it does it constantly, a bit of smoke once u rev it it gets a little thicker. The catch can has no filter on it either. But not a drop of oil in the can ?

Catch can has no breather? does it pipe back into the intake pipe? or have you just got hoses going from the rocker covers to the catch can?

When I got my car all the breathing hoses were screwed up, there was a hose from the intake manifold to the rocker cover that was disconnected. This was causing it to pump huge amounts oil out the exhaust at high load/high revs. Once I replaced the hose from the intake manifold it stopped throwing oil out of the exhaust and starting trying to push it out the dipstick and felt like it hit a brick wall over 5000rpm.

My guess was that the crankcase was pressurising as the catchcan that came with the car didn't have a breather. To test this I redid all the breathing hoses and ran one just venting to atmosphere.. no more problems :)

Catch can doesn't fill up, oil doesn't come out of the open breather hose and it doesn't try to jump out via the dipstick, just pulls hard to redline :pirate:

Edit: hang on.. you said the catch can doesn't have a breather but in the first post you say there is smoke coming from the catch can??

Edited by bubba

yeah its a steady sorta mist/steam/smoke like crap when u rev it, it seems to be breathing like a heavy cow.

bubba, its a catch can with a hole in the top of it.

I use a stainless steel scourer in the catch can to help the oil vapour condense.

I extended the inlet pipe side into the stainless steel, this makes the vapour flow through the wire mesh. THe outlet is unchanged on the top. Only down side is you can't let your catch can get to full [mine never does anyway].

umm. i take it it isnt smoke. but rather mist ? this is normal. it should at idle have a small but steaddy sort of stream of mist/steam coming out.

like a big cup of coffee etc etc.

Yer my catch can had a hole it in and I recently noticed it was letting out some "mist". Went away once you revved the motor, but once back on idle it came back. I take it this is normal? Because I hardly get any blow-by.

Btw I've sealed the hole now because it was actually being vacuum leak in my system.