SAU Community

What Gearbox Oil For My R33 (manual)

/2on

Hey guys the time has come to change the oil in my gearbox for my r33 i just want to know what oil have people tried and found good for it? i was thinking of trying the Motul Gear 300 anyone used that before?

And also how much oil do i need for the gearbox

Thanks guys

3.7-8 L is the capacity.

It's pretty hard to drain it all. My box took approx 3.5L of oil.

Castrol VMX 80 is the recommended oil in the shop manual. Costs approx $50 for 4 L from memory.

I'm personally using motul gear 300 (fully synth). RRP of $29 for 1L so 120 for 4L.

Redline Shockproof is also good at $90-120.

Thanks for all your helps guys i think ill give the Motul a try as ive been using that brand oil for my engine with no probs :/

Also any recommendations for what oil i should be using in my diff also? its just the standard vsld? because that needs to be changed also.

Edited by /2on

i changed all my oils in the diffs and gearbox.. using motul oils and i'm not a fan of them, my gearbox felt quite different the day i picked it up.. have done 5,000kms now, it must be the viscosity of the motul..

i'll be changing it in another 5,000 to redline shockproof.. hope that fix's the problem..

my 0.02c

^^ I only thought that redline shouldn't be used in relatively new gearboxes unless there is already a problem.

Hopefully someone can clear it up 100% because i'm due for a change and want to be sure before i do.

Cheers

Josh

Seriously guys, in the span of 2 weeks, there have been about 5 posts on gearbox oil.

We've covered the discussion on redline shockproof about 5 times. that's why no one is really answering.

no shit...use search ffs

actually fyi, i did do a search but i couldnt find much info on motul 300v for gearboxes and how people found it, which was really what i wanted to know.....

300V like all Motul 300 oils are Ester based...like redline.

Good shit...300V/Redline and RP are all good gear and engine oils. Ur cant really go wrong with a GL4/GL5 base product.

I went out and bought some oil for my gb today i got the motul ff now its rated at sae75w 140 now is that going to be to thick? cause they didnt have any 75w 90 there...... I tried looking but couldnt see anything in here about what ratings for what oils were best for skylines.

The gearbox has done 120 000k's if that helps aswell

Thanks

Where do people go to get their motul gearbox oil in victoria. From my understanding Repco and Autobarn are dealers in this brand of oil. My problem is that no repco or autobarn in victoria seem to stock motul gear 300 oil. I live in gippsland and i asked both repco and autobarn about getting the oil in but both companies were not too keen on ordering the oil which needs to come from queensland. They say that the transport costs are quite high. Is there somewhere else in vic that sells it. Thanks for your input. :nyaanyaa:

That fluid is called motul gear ff lsd. It is an lsd fluid from memory. Best bet is to get the get the one designed for the gearbox - motul gear 300.

I went out and bought some oil for my gb today i got the motul ff now its rated at sae75w 140 now is that going to be to thick? cause they didnt have any 75w 90 there...... I tried looking but couldnt see anything in here about what ratings for what oils were best for skylines.

The gearbox has done 120 000k's if that helps aswell

Thanks

I would refrain from using a 75W/140 or 80W/140 in a gearbox because the extra thickness can make shifting harder.

Also I take Redline's advice and suggest that Shockproof shouldn't be used in a gearbox unless its the last resort..