SAU Community

R34 V.s.s.

Can someone give me a quick indication of what this switch does! Its located on the lower right hand side of the steering wheel (opposite side to traction control). It seems to make somethin move at the rear of the car? Sorry if its dumb but i am confused what it is hahaha

Thanks all

Jaz

It opens and closes the valve inside your Nismo muffler. ie. sports opens a valve so that more exhaust gas can pass through, itll also be a little louder (a tiny tiny bit)

At the end of the day, cool system, but the muffler is still very restrictive, trust me I had it before, put on a proper system, big difference.

I have a 3' stainless steel turbo back exhaust...

So the valve wouldn't be doing anythin then would it?

I don't notice any difference with the button pushed but interestingly i still can hear something movie towards the rear of the car (near the exhaust).

My muffler says DRIFT on it so i know its not a standard nismo exhaust hehe

Cool little gimik though lol

Edited by jazza08

The previous owner probably kept the valve & changed the muffler if you can still hear the valve opening & closing.

I'm considering doing the same thing as I've had a look under the car & the valve is actually on a bit of pipe just before the muffler (at least it is on my one)

I'd imagine if I kept the valve it would be at this point there would be a lot of restriction, But if I remove it then I'd have a useless switch in the cabin

Whats the headlight adjuster?? it adjust height or brightness or what?

I wouldn't of though the valve would still be there coz the whole system has been replaced... but i shall have a closer look soon! Whats it look like...

Whats the headlight adjuster?? it adjust height or brightness or what?

I wouldn't of though the valve would still be there coz the whole system has been replaced... but i shall have a closer look soon! Whats it look like...

Headlight adjuster lets you set 4 different angles of the headlights either higher or lower. Useful when you've got a full load of passengers & some stuff in the boot.

The valve is nothing special, you should notice a cable running to it very close to where the cat-back bolts up if you still have the valve attached

• 3 weeks later...

I'm an expert on the VSS system, as I had so many problems with mine.

On the NISMO exhaust the pipe heading from the CAT to the muffler splits in two as it gets to the muffler. On one of the pipes going into the the muffler is an exhaust control valve which opens or closes depending on which mode your in Sports or Silent. This effectly makes the exhaust quiter when the vlave closes.

Essentially its just like a remote version of the Apexi Exhaust Control Valve, but not as good.

To check if the vlave is working you can look in the trunk. The actuator is located behind the panel where the jack is stored. When you press the switch you'll see the wheel move opening the valve.

I've taken mine off as I've replaced the exhaust with a HKS Super Drager. They are very prome to seizing and other stupid problems.

Hope that helps.

John

Edited by Johnser

• 5 years later...

Sorry to bring up an old thread but, when the VSS switch is in the "on" position on my r34 GTT there is a distinct humming sound coming from the back left at all times.....

Is this the norm?

• 4 months later...

In my car the VSS must have been disabled prior to purchase and most likely due to it being seized up. There was no sound from my motor in the boot when the switch is flipped and the valve definitely seized as I could not turn it by hand to open it up. I have it manually kept open now but I would like to hear from anyone who can tell me how to check if the relay has been removed or which fuse to locate for it as I reckon it still works but something has blown electrically as there looks like there is supposed to be a light on the switch itself which on my car is not lit weather its in silent or sport. 1998 R34 GTT.

*edit: I can see by the thumbnail posted by jazza08 that the light comes on which doesnt in mine. I might check that the power hasn't been disconnected from the back of the switch. And no mine doesn't make a humming noise as I suspect mine is not getting power to the motor. I think if I find the light, I find the power!

Edited by DavidR34GTTNIZMO