SAU Community

'b' Pillar Brace

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i have been searching for some idea's about this myself. I have found little information reguarding this brace. However, if you stick your head inside any real racing car, you will find that a bar has been added here as part of a roll cage. my racebook says that the bar is very helpful in absorbing side impacts.

If that is all it does, GREAT! as for rigidity, hmm please keep as all posted

i first noticed this as a do-luck item... never known anyone who had one. be interesting to get someone's insight who is cluey with hardcore track work

I honestly can't tell if it made a difference in my 32.

I only bought it as a bit of rice and something to mount my fire extinguisher on :)

that's a great idea... initially i had mine on an alu bracket between the front seat mounts, but this will work well :D

I can't imagine any difference really, it's in the middle of your chassis you'd think that would be a fairly stiff part of your car.

As opposed to a front strut bar, where you get a fair bit of flex.

i was looking into these as well my friend has one(180sx) he reckons its pretty good but he's into drifting so i guess would be ok for that, i think the originated in drifting because monkey warehouse and a few other drift shops make them.

would be a cheap upgrade though, to see how it goes.

do luck say:

Rear Cross Bar (RXB)

Designed to stiffen the middle of the chassis. Upper strut bars stiffen the front and back of the car but the middle of the car can still twist, the Rear Cross Bar helps to eliminate this twisting.

This is sometimes called a 'room bar' as well. From what i know its mainly for sedans or cars with longer wheelbases to strengthen the middle of the chassis.

I only bought it as a bit of rice and something to mount my fire extinguisher on :sick:

How did you mount the fire extinguisher on them? just cable tie?

and I have the do-luck one in my R33, they mount to the seatbelt bolts

be carefull because theres a few different models, if you get the wrong one

you might have to drill a hole on the mounting plates to match your seatbelt bolts

I could spend a few hours going into details but I don't have time today, so I will keep it brief.

The strongest bracing you can use is a triangle, yes the Pharaohs were spot on when they built the pyramids. That’s why race car roll cages are made up almost entirely of triangles, they stiffen up the chassis so the suspension is the only thing that moves to follow the road surface. An unbraced chassis is like a spring without a shock absorber, it moves around (flexes) totally without damping.

That brace is OK if you want to improve the side impact protection for the passenger and the drivers lower torso (protect your ass if someone runs into you from the side). It does pretty much nothing else, except maybe make the seat belt mount a little stronger. The chassis will still flex because there is no triangulation. It isn't a triangle itself, nor does it's addition complete a triangle. It just sits parrallel to the floor, which is already one of the strongest parts of the chassis.

:P cheers >_<

I was going to put one in my GTR but I dont think it will fit with the 8 point cusco roll cage as the legs of main hoop will be in the way. personally I think a brace higher up the b pillar would be a much better idea, but this floor type may be some small improvement.