SAU Community

Gurgling Sound

Dave32

Hi guys,

Just a quick question, noticed that after driving my car, if i pop the bonnet there is always a gurgling sound comming from the engine, sorta sounds like boiling water, not quite that loud, just a slight gurgle.

Is this normal, is there anything i should be concerned about? Car is an r32 GTR.

Cheers,

Dave.

i had a gurgling sound from behind the dash in my old supra and turned out to be the early stages of a blown head gasket...

exhaust gasses were slipping through the head gasket and into the water system causing the gurgling sound

if i were you i'd get it checked out by a radiator shop...

I have also experienced this in a camry for about 2 months before my head gasket completly blew. You can check if there is any gasses going into the coolant by running the engine without the radiator cap on and checking to see if any gasses are bubbling out through the coolant. Either that or get your coolant system pressure tested. hope this helps.

could just be a simple heating issue... when you turn your car off.. the highest point of collant pressure is then. You might have a slight slpit hose.. or you havent got a completey bled free cooling system.. I would suggest its just the coolant water bubbling away.

have a mechanic gas test the radiator, i think it checks for CO-2, but detects exhaust gas in the cooling system.

i had this issue before, and had the test done, it should slightly positive for the gas, so a few months later i changed the head gasket and was all sweet. even though it wasnt over heating.

problem is - bubbles popping inside your coolant are basically small explosions = corrosion. Get it checked before it eats away at something. Even if it is something as simple as a unbled coolant system, get it fixed asap

I had the same problem in my runabout car. (celica 89) changed my radiator cap and hasn't done it since.

You know the old saying (K.I.S.S.) Keep It Simple Stupid.

You don't want to jump the gun and spend heaps of cash and it ends up being something simple.

hope I helped.

mine started making a gurgling noise after i put a new turbo on...

the gurgling noise seems to come from the turbo area.. it happens for a while after the car is turned off. does that sound bad... ?

i dont have any leaking/overheating issues.. everything seems pretty good though.

how do u bleed the coolant.. just undo the cap and let it run for a little while or something ?? oh yeah i use castrol radicool i think it is.. and my radiator cap has one of them buttons in the middle you can press.. if thats good or bad ??

mine started making a gurgling noise after i put a new turbo on...

the gurgling noise seems to come from the turbo area.. it happens for a while after the car is turned off. does that sound bad... ?

i dont have any leaking/overheating issues.. everything seems pretty good though.

how do u bleed the coolant.. just undo the cap and let it run for a little while or something ?? oh yeah i use castrol radicool i think it is.. and my radiator cap has one of them buttons in the middle you can press.. if thats good or bad ??

bleed tap on the front of the plenum above your fuel pressure regulator, loosen it off it once its hot since this should be the highest point of the cooling system, once bubbles stop close and it will be bled.

as for turbo, if its high mount it may be acting as the highest point in the system, if there is air in that area once you switch off the car, then this will allow the water to boil in that area.

the turbo is a 2535.. is that a high or low mount ??

ill try bleeding her again also, cause i didnt no about the bleed tap thingy :P

bleed tap on the front of the plenum above your fuel pressure regulator, loosen it off it once its hot since this should be the highest point of the cooling system, once bubbles stop close and it will be bled.

as for turbo, if its high mount it may be acting as the highest point in the system, if there is air in that area once you switch off the car, then this will allow the water to boil in that area.

My car seems to make a couple gurgling sounds as well, only it isnt while running or after a drive, it is once every morning because of how cold it is starting. it usually takes 2-3 times for the engine to actually start as well. then all day it is perfect. same thing?