SAU Community

R33 Rb30 Conversion

JNR24

Can anyone tell me if there are any fouling issues with the RB30 sump into a R34. The guide says that with the 32's and 33's it's fine but nothing about 34's. I won't need to drop the engine any lower either as I'm not running the standard plenum.

Send 'urtwhistle' a message, he has put an 25/30 in his 34 4-door and he is also in Perth :)

• 2 weeks later...

Using the Dayco 152 tooth belt.

Just doesn't seem to line up with the hole centre on either of these dimensions and I guess the belt will end up too tight if the tensioner is in too far

tensioners.jpg

Edited by PSI086

Can anyone tell me if there are any fouling issues with the RB30 sump into a R34. The guide says that with the 32's and 33's it's fine but nothing about 34's. I won't need to drop the engine any lower either as I'm not running the standard plenum.

No problems with the sump clearance. I lowered the motor on the engine mounts as per R33 specs and no problems still.

• 3 weeks later...

hello mate!!

can anyone help me?? if i fitted the hybird (RB30block+rb25det head) , how about the timing belt , can use the stock rb25det timing belt?? orrr ??

all of that info is in this thread

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys -Firstly Great Forum, Heaps of information and has been a great help so far -120 Pages later!!

Im from NZ (Wellington) and im just about to start my RB30DET build.

I have just purchased an RB30de S2 Block , Rb25det VCT head and a Greedy Plenum -$600 total

The block was actually quite tidy for a 180k motor so the block is going to be shipped to the Re conditioners this week for New Rings , New Main bearings, New Bid Ends, New cam belt and tensioner +Relocation, 1x 1.5mm Oil Restrictor, New RB25det Oil pump and Crank collar, Rb30de water pump. Pretty much a decent refresh for the 30DET build. (factory Pistons,Rods ,Crank)

The head will maintain all its factory Valve train however will get the values refaced and reseated.

The head will also be moddified for the VCT feed

Im wanting to run with the aftermarket plenum and the standard rb25det fuel rail, upgaded injectors (600cc), FPR, 044 Intank. q45 TB and AFM, 3" inlet IC piping to FMIC and 2.5" to the turbo housing.

For the run in period im going to stick with the standard rb25det manifold and turbo. Although i wil get a GT35/40 and PFC later.

Since all this is going into a R32 GTST coupe - will i have to change my loom and ECU to an r33 rb25det loom and ecu for the run in period? Is this going to be a hassel? i know i can use an r32 Rb25de head, However as i already have a MINT VCT 25det head im keen to stick with it.

Any recommendations would be great and any ideas on how to keep the coast down for my daily driver would be awesome. I do have more cash to throw at this - However buying a house at the mo (probably bad timing on my part)

Cheers Bois!

Chad

If you want to run a 25DET (r33 era) head then you effectively need to do a 25 conversion, everything that applies to a normal 25 conversion will apply to your situation.

Hey Guys -Firstly Great Forum, Heaps of information and has been a great help so far -120 Pages later!!

Im from NZ (Wellington) and im just about to start my RB30DET build.

I have just purchased an RB30de S2 Block , Rb25det VCT head and a Greedy Plenum -$600 total

The block was actually quite tidy for a 180k motor so the block is going to be shipped to the Re conditioners this week for New Rings , New Main bearings, New Bid Ends, New cam belt and tensioner +Relocation, 1x 1.5mm Oil Restrictor, New RB25det Oil pump and Crank collar, Rb30de water pump. Pretty much a decent refresh for the 30DET build. (factory Pistons,Rods ,Crank)

The head will maintain all its factory Valve train however will get the values refaced and reseated.

The head will also be moddified for the VCT feed

Im wanting to run with the aftermarket plenum and the standard rb25det fuel rail, upgaded injectors (600cc), FPR, 044 Intank. q45 TB and AFM, 3" inlet IC piping to FMIC and 2.5" to the turbo housing.

For the run in period im going to stick with the standard rb25det manifold and turbo. Although i wil get a GT35/40 and PFC later.

Since all this is going into a R32 GTST coupe - will i have to change my loom and ECU to an r33 rb25det loom and ecu for the run in period? Is this going to be a hassel? i know i can use an r32 Rb25de head, However as i already have a MINT VCT 25det head im keen to stick with it.

Any recommendations would be great and any ideas on how to keep the coast down for my daily driver would be awesome. I do have more cash to throw at this - However buying a house at the mo (probably bad timing on my part)

Cheers Bois!

Chad

Don't forget rod bolts. Save up for a Link. See Geoff at Shred Ind Performance if you need help.

Cheers bubba/kiwirs4t

Yup rod bolts are a must =) , looking at getting some more info though, with the VCT do i have to source the VCT solenoid? are they easy to install? or can i just run an external feed and just plug and play? (ECU and loom) apart from that the general rb25det conversion i cant think of anything else i could possibly run into as everything should just bolt up. (might have issues with my window wipers if i change ECU) - Dont drive in the rain =)

Yea ive meet the guys from Shreds before ,and im keen for them to dyno the car when its up and running however i had plans to go for a power FC but they are all about the lInk's thats for sure. As ill be running the car in for a good 5000kms im still going to run a factory ECu and map. Eventually ill make a goal of 300kw ODD but thats much later as i really only drive my car in the w.e and will take me a while to run it in saying that.

Cheers Again

Chad

You might be able to get away with the stock ECU for a short time but RB25 ECU's seem to be less tolerant than RB20 ECU's.

When I first built mine, I ran it on the RB20 ECU for a couple of months. The only issue was the stock AFM was maxing out at about 5500rpm and it ran pretty rich.. not really what you want with fresh rings that are bedding in.

Hey guys

I was wondering about sensors and whats interchangeable? Since im putting my rb25/30 into my R32 GTS and im using the 25DET VCT head , Im wondering if all the sensors ect from my rb20de will be able to be re used on my rb30det motor?

Also im using a 25det loom and ECU for the run in period. Can someome clarify if i need to use turbo sensors or will the rb20de sensors be fine to use?

Cheers again.

You need to use all RB25DET stuff, things like water temp sensors are different, depending on series of RB25 then coilpacks and AFM are different.

Like I said, if you're using an RB25DET head, you effectively need to perform an RB25DET conversion.

If you were to use an R32 RB25DE head, then you could reuse ALL of your RB20 stuff.

Hey guys

I was wondering about sensors and whats interchangeable? Since im putting my rb25/30 into my R32 GTS and im using the 25DET VCT head , Im wondering if all the sensors ect from my rb20de will be able to be re used on my rb30det motor?

Also im using a 25det loom and ECU for the run in period. Can someome clarify if i need to use turbo sensors or will the rb20de sensors be fine to use?

Cheers again.

You'll need 25det sensors if using 25det computer and loom, personally I'd use an R32 gts-t loom and computer with a nistune ecu as the 25det computer can't really be retuned (will be a big issue). Use rb20/25 knock sensors, Z32 afm, S1 rb25 TPS/throttle body. Basically get a loom out of an r32 rb20det and use it.

Edited by Rolls

Bugger, so im thinking go with the R32 25 head as it will obviously be a hell of alot simpler plus i will be able to use the current RB20de for sensors and all ancillaries. What about the factory loom/Ignition coils/harness (RB20DE) ...is it much different to the r32 gtst loom and ignition system? would be gud if i can use as much as i can from the factory motor .

Sorry my run in period was probably a little far fetched. Yea im sure a drive up to Toupo would be sweet.

The Hunt for a new Head starts =) .

Cheers Boys - Your a Big Help