SAU Community

The Epa Thread/Roadworthy Thread

Do-Luck

• 2 weeks later...

I got an EPA letter requesting a noise level test. When I bought the car (R33 GTS-T) it came with a 3" cat back with large cannon tip, don't know what brand if any. Had it tested yesterday and it hit 94dB :domokun: A couple of days later after finding a stock exhaust and getting it re-tested (different tester because this one was near the seller of the exhaust) it's still over!! Yup, stock standard exhaust from front to back and it's reading 96db. I don't get it, how can this be? Has some engine mod been done thats making it noisier than it should be? the exhaust guys suggested putting on an even smaller muffler to further restrict the noise. So i've gone from a 3" cat back cannon to a stock exhaust and now, possible, a smaller than stock muffler, *sigh*.

Is there a way to make the original 3" cat back legal? I really liked the sound, power and look of it.

Still dont understand how the standard 'zorst can be over!

mike

I got a custom made one put on a flange near the end of my exhaust pipe. Chokes the hell out of the engine, runs like crap, sounds even worse. Cant even tell its on at idle. But it came through as legal.

Because its on a flange though I can swap it over at any time in about 10 minutes.

Im guessing your cat may have been bashed out or something as a stock exhaust should definately be legal.

i just tested mine and got 97db tested in carpark facing a tree right next to a main road with heavy traffic. would the environment where it is tested from affect results. i have a dual N1 exhaust that is angled so its conveniently directed straight at the mic and i would assume produces 1.5x the noise. strange cause the higher he reved the quieter the exhaust note got. i am thinking of getting those silencers to whack in my tips....do you guys think this will make much difference?

im thinking of taking it to another place to test with the silencers.

The testers know what the requirements are about surroundings.

Traffic wont affect it. Exhaust noise is a darn sight louder at close range.

I dont think you will drop 7dB at all with just silencing tips. I may well be wrong but i dont like you chances.

7dB is WAY over.

I good way to pass is to put your stock catback on and fill the muffler with steel wool............so i'm told :P

And if the tester asks you if this is a permanet exhaust alsways say yes. A (stupid) mate actually told them that he was going to swap his 3" straight through back on after the test, IDIOT!

And if the tester asks you if this is a permanet exhaust alsways say yes. A (stupid) mate actually told them that he was going to swap his 3" straight through back on after the test, IDIOT!

lol, the tester probably didnt even care :P

yeah i dont like my chances either....weighing up my options, unfortunately this ones though seems too be more epensive and uncertain. i guess i'll just have to put the stocker back on.

In todays day and age you might well be better spending the money now and getting it quiet.

EPA and getting done is simply occuring more and more each year.

Putting a stocker on is all good and well, but i can assure you do it 4-5 times and you'll get sick of doing it :rofl:

Time is money, so initial outlay will save in the long run.

Of course if you prefer the car loud, and can live with the problems cause by it then just go with the swapping.

Bear in mind however, the EPA will note down what system is on the car.

If you get busted by a EPA inspection station (roadside), they will note down the system they bust you with.

If you then rockup with another stocker they know whats going on, and then can fine you if busted after that from what the EPA officer said.

They arent stupid and know most people are swapping items, and hence they keep a record of everything.

I went down there with a 3.5" system and the dude was totally shocked that it almost passed :)

In todays day and age you might well be better spending the money now and getting it quiet.

EPA and getting done is simply occuring more and more each year.

Putting a stocker on is all good and well, but i can assure you do it 4-5 times and you'll get sick of doing it :rofl:

Time is money, so initial outlay will save in the long run.

Of course if you prefer the car loud, and can live with the problems cause by it then just go with the swapping.

Bear in mind however, the EPA will note down what system is on the car.

If you get busted by a EPA inspection station (roadside), they will note down the system they bust you with.

If you then rockup with another stocker they know whats going on, and then can fine you if busted after that from what the EPA officer said.

They arent stupid and know most people are swapping items, and hence they keep a record of everything.

I went down there with a 3.5" system and the dude was totally shocked that it almost passed :)

Ash,

I have heard the threats from the officers down there about keeping records and large fines for repeated incursions, however have never heard of anyone actually recieveing the fine. Have you?

From my experience the EPA keep a (not too detailed) record of what you are running but if they only see you with the stocker it would require the police to keep records also (I have seen the taking engine bay pics but nothing to do with exhaust) and for the two agencies to cross reference the records to prove repeated swaping.

Has anyone on here actually recieved a fine from the EPA apart from throwing ciggies out the window?

When i went there after 2 years from my rego cancellation... to pull the RB25 out

The EPA man there, Lou, had noted down on my "file" that i was 'going' to possibly do a RB26 conversion, i previously had a single 3" system and so on.

To note down that i was *thinking* about a conversion from 2 years prior test was very surprising to me.

So they must keep a fair bit of detail of peoples files/cases

I haven't heard of anyone getting a fine peronally, but ive been told that it has happened by the EPA dudes.

Thats only after they called people back 4-5 times though, not a 2nd offence.

Im not inclined to think he is telling me as a scare tactic as he was quite reasonable with my testing.

(cant go into it here, come to a meet and ill tell you about how reasonable they were with me, despite what people say about em).

I went in with the exhaust I got done with. As mentioned I got a new tip made up thats legal. I keep both so if I go to the track I can put the cannon on. However, if a random cop pulls me over with and sends me out an EPA letter while I have the cannon on, unless he notes specifics about the exhaust, IF I turned up to the test with my primary exhaust on (the legal one), I dont know how they would tell. From what I could see, the cops simply state "youre too loud" without any kind of test, etc. Just off their judgement.

Either way keeping it legal is best. Im quite happy with the setup I have. Once I have spare cash ill invest in a larger exhaust, with less restriction that is legal.

Im not inclined to think he is telling me as a scare tactic as he was quite reasonable with my testing.

(cant go into it here, come to a meet and ill tell you about how reasonable they were with me, despite what people say about em).

Tend to agree with Ash here. I have only been there twice (to pass the one test) and the guys there are very professional, yet still where quite friendly.

• 1 month later...

My 33 got reported to the EPA twice (1 for noise and 1 for too many air mods)! i have a 4inch HKS Exhaust (it is Bloody Loud) and all i did was put the Stock Factory exhaust back on and it past??? maybe you have a hole somewhere???? i cant see how a full stock factory exhaust would be so far over???

My stock exhaust was 1DB from too loud (but that was because there was a hole) we fixed it and it heap quieter!!! is the Cat and Hotdog in good nick?? that can make it louder if they are gone to the Shit!! maybe take to it a exhaust place and ask them to look at it???

oh yeah just a tip the EPA said its best to have a silencer (coz some wont pass you if you dont), they do make a pretty big difference!!!

I keep the Stock exhaust on for the road and put the HKS back on for Shows only!!! not worth it coz cops dont even have to Pull you over to report you these days!!!!

If you pass an EPA with a silencer in, youll have to weld the silencer to the exhaust so it can no longer be removed. One of the conditions of the EPA. Im sure its been mentioned already somewhere though.