SAU Community

The Epa Thread/Roadworthy Thread

Do-Luck

Hi um i dunno if this helps but i had 3 1/2" catback then i gat the epa notice, so i had a good look at what i had under the car and found a Flange plate just under the the rear axel that had the cannon attatched, so i went to an exhaust place and got them to make the back bit out of 2 1/2" with a nice big quite muffler. It cost me 140 but at least they done what i wanted other places wanted me to replace the lot for 350!. Anyway the test showed a nice quiet 80 db.

I noticed that i had no power, no noise and no fun. so as soon as i passed the test i chucked the cannon back on all better now, and when i get another notice probably next week i already have the solution!

:D

i got tested at 100dB with my Trust Power Extreme Cat back, Blitz Front pipe, and Trust Dump... went down to the local exhaust shop and got a weasly bit of 2" from the rear flange with a fairly pissy round standard muffler and they re-tested it at 85dB! only cost about $120 and very suprisingly the car doesnt seem to of lost any noticable power!! however its quiter than a standard ford laser! :D

Also, aparently Silencer plugs WILL NOT PASS according to the EPA noise tester i went to! Mine only brought the noise down to 94dB anyway but the guy said even if they're welded in they're not allowed to pass them any more! :ninja:

Does the EPA actually get the car on a hoist or take it for a drive during a full emissions test??? (obviously this is different to getting a RWC)

yeah i the fmic isnt stock, i undersatnd you cant have both. i just thought it was wierd how quick he let me go, and i also thought that you got caneried when you got a epa???

they dont need to stick around long.... once they've got ur rego they already know where to send the letter!

probly just checking if the driver was also the owner! :D

• 2 weeks later...

This should be an easy one, but a quick question, if I buy a car with an epa on it and no rego in victoria, can I get a day permit to get it up to Canberra? or will I need to trailer it up? Car has an epa on it for excessive noise.

If the date on the notice has passed the cars rego will be suspended. That mean that in VIC you can;t get a day/unreg vehicle permit.

As all the state systems are hooked up now I would be almost certain you would not be able to get a permit to drive the car in the ACT. So you will have to trailer it up.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been thinking of moving my indicator's from the spoiler to were the parker lights are and filling up the quarter panel indicators, how do you think I'll go legal wise?

Thanks for the info stolen_s15

It might be easier if I just post up the car's mods and if anyone can tell me which is defectable, apart from boost controller. Couldn't find any info on whether other items eg., turbo timer defectable.

HKS split dumps

HKS front pipe

HKS hipower catback (legal noise I think)

HKS adj cam gears (IN/EX)

HKS timing belt with Trust clear cover

Apexi pod air filter

Turbo timer

Nismo twin plate clutch (super coppermix)

Cheers. Much appreciated.

Clutch - No issues

Air pod - only okay if you dont have a front mount added on (GTR excepted)

Timing belt - No issues (cant see any problem with clear cover)

Catback - Legal if it meets both noise and emissions levels.

Others, no idea, but I think they are all okay.