SAU Community

The Epa Thread/Roadworthy Thread

Do-Luck

are cars usually hoisted for rwc checks?

today mine was hoisted and he picked up 3 oil leaks and front castor bushes that were starting to crack and wouldn't grant me the rwc because of these reasons. i always thought it was just a walkaround with short drive to ensure that the car was in a rw condition ie. brakes, tyres, wipers, lights.

are cars usually hoisted for rwc checks?

today mine was hoisted and he picked up 3 oil leaks and front castor bushes that were starting to crack and wouldn't grant me the rwc because of these reasons. i always thought it was just a walkaround with short drive to ensure that the car was in a rw condition ie. brakes, tyres, wipers, lights.

A RWC covers all levels of a cars operation in general terms.

If its leaking oil and bushes are flogged, then most certainly they are RW related issues and will need fixing prior to the issuing of a RWC.

It also includes a short drive to test the brakes and other features a car requires when in motion.

Cheers

thanks heaps for the info.

was just a bit surprised that it was hoisted and the undercarriage checked. seemed almost like a pre-purchase inspection.

No problem mate, the both are pretty much the same thing. a pre-purch will go over exactly the same things as a roadworthy in terms of car operation.

But a pre-perch just goes over other things like body repairs/interior conditon and other non road going requirements a buyer might have

Hi guys I had my car roadworthied today they picked up a number of small and largish things that needed to be fixed just wondering how much some of it is going to cost.

1. Lost alarm (I fixed that already)

2. Loose Radiator Support (Fixed Too)

3. Turbo timers are illegal (???)

4. Power steering pump leaking

5. Tie rod boots cracked

6. headlights not aimed (how do I adjust these??)

7. Plumback BOV's are illegal???

Keepin in mind that this rwc was done at ford so they'd be strict..how many of these things can I probably get away with at your everyday mechanics?? ANd what are the most important things??

thanks,

Andrew

Hi guys I had my car roadworthied today they picked up a number of small and largish things that needed to be fixed just wondering how much some of it is going to cost.

1. Lost alarm (I fixed that already)

2. Loose Radiator Support (Fixed Too)

3. Turbo timers are illegal (???)

4. Power steering pump leaking

5. Tie rod boots cracked

6. headlights not aimed (how do I adjust these??)

7. Plumback BOV's are illegal???

Keepin in mind that this rwc was done at ford so they'd be strict..how many of these things can I probably get away with at your everyday mechanics?? ANd what are the most important things??

thanks,

Andrew

1) -

2) -

3) Correct, requires removal, or disconnection (and hide the unit) = free

4) $250

5) $200

6) $100-150, see an Auto Elec, they will fix it.

7) You drive a TX-5... if they didnt come factory with one, then you need to remove it

cheers

but you only have an up down, side-to-side, adjustments. You can't affect the light output/pattern manually. That's all determined by the globes used, and the reflectors/projectors.

So really, what you need is maybe some guideline saying that at a distance of x metres, the light cutoff should be x metres above the ground (using a wall/garage door).

It's not like there is a 'focus' adjustment. Well, at least not for the R34 headlights.

zorb: how exactly did they determine that your headlights weren't aimed correctly?

Sorry guys this is for my r33 gtst I just brought should have been more specific :P

not sure how the determine that my bro is a mechanic he ssid when the used to do them..they just showed a bit of cardboard a meter infront of the beam to make sure it was focused... wtf??? too abd he is in perth or Id have him doing all this lol....

With the turbo timer I was always under the assumption that if the turbo timer was wired into the park brake it was legal..???

also with the power sterring pump reckon a quick wipe around the pump and a couple of bottles of stop leak will fix it for now???

Edited by zorb_rules

as far as i know, the only way to focus headlights is to have the factory spec globe in there. The reflectors have been designed for the specific light output/pattern of the globe Nissan used. Doesn't mean you have to use an OEM globe, but i would guess that is preferably in this situation to make sure it's all cleared up.

Sounds like it's not a highly technical procedure they were using, hence i reckon you can do this yourself. Make sure the globes haven't been changed to some crappy "blue" look globes, or "ultra white" etc, etc... or worse still, and after market HID conversion. Different coloured globes can cause the light output to be out of whack a little.

hey fellas, this probably doesnt belong here but oh well.. apparantly, the manual rb20det r32 is over the power/weight ratio and is considered p-plate illegal, whereas the auto is fine. my friend backed this statement up by saying that he was shown the stat sheet by the TMU which is clearly states that. anyone know if this is true?

apparently there is also different YEARS of R32 GTS-T's which are legal/illegal. The auto thing could very well be true if they are getting that specific with the build date. Auto might make it just that little bit heavier, and just scrape under the limit.

Buy an auto, do a conversion :)

hey fellas, this probably doesnt belong here but oh well.. apparantly, the manual rb20det r32 is over the power/weight ratio and is considered p-plate illegal, whereas the auto is fine. my friend backed this statement up by saying that he was shown the stat sheet by the TMU which is clearly states that. anyone know if this is true?

You would need to check the manufacturers specifications on this and do the appropriate calculations.

For the year/type/power etc etc.

The TMU could well be wrong, they have been so in the past on many occasions.

Its a case of owner onus really. Its your responsibility to find these things out

I was of the belief all R32's were not over, but then i have not researched this personally as it does not apply to me.

Cheers

The R33 autos are heavier, have less power, and less torque than the manual model....So with the R33 being just over the power to weight limit, there's a good chance the auto is under...

Have anyone passed an epa noise test with aftermarket exhaust with stock cat and rear silencer? My car is really very quiet now.. But according to the exhaust place, it is still 98db . I know it is very subjective how quiet it is as it really depends on individuals but.. just wondering if anyone have passed it before.

Have anyone passed an epa noise test with aftermarket exhaust with stock cat and rear silencer? My car is really very quiet now.. But according to the exhaust place, it is still 98db . I know it is very subjective how quiet it is as it really depends on individuals but.. just wondering if anyone have passed it before.

Hi um i dunno if this helps but i had 3 1/2" catback then i gat the epa notice, so i had a good look at what i had under the car and found a Flange plate just under the the rear axel that had the cannon attatched, so i went to an exhaust place and got them to make the back bit out of 2 1/2" with a nice big quite muffler. It cost me 140 but at least they done what i wanted other places wanted me to replace the lot for 350!. Anyway the test showed a nice quiet 80 db.

I noticed that i had no power, no noise and no fun. so as soon as i passed the test i chucked the cannon back on all better now, and when i get another notice probably next week i already have the solution!

:laugh: