SAU Community

The Epa Thread/Roadworthy Thread

Do-Luck

I bigger exhaust system can always pass a noise test, and probably an EPA inspection to, providing its below 90dB at the required RPM, and doesn't go over the level of emissions from the rear of the system.

Hi um i dunno if this helps but i had 3 1/2" catback then i gat the epa notice, so i had a good look at what i had under the car and found a Flange plate just under the the rear axel that had the cannon attatched, so i went to an exhaust place and got them to make the back bit out of 2 1/2" with a nice big quite muffler. It cost me 140 but at least they done what i wanted other places wanted me to replace the lot for 350!. Anyway the test showed a nice quiet 80 db.

I noticed that i had no power, no noise and no fun. so as soon as i passed the test i chucked the cannon back on all better now, and when i get another notice probably next week i already have the solution!

>_<

Thanks for the feedback, because i failed the noise test, im getting a standard exhaust fitted for the next test. I really doubt its 98db, but oh well, the exhaust shop says it is, have to believe him i guess.

Thought i'd mention that my mate got his EPA done and they checked mods under bonnet (checked for pod, (has fmic) and boost controller. Also looked at the exhaust and asked if my mate put it on prior to the test (it's this tiny gay thing i had re-installed that i bought for an exhaust noise test) my mate said nah this was on it when i bought it, last owner was 1 who got the epa. Then did the emissions test (we didnt have time to find a stock ecu so we didn't bother) and that passed luckily >_<

Dunno what he's going to say next time though :(

Your mate nearly caused himself a big drama by telling lies.

Its illegal to sell a car with an EPA on it.

If the officer goes and reports, you'll find you might get another visit, or a please explain

Nahh it hadn't been issued whilst i was the owner, EPA arrived in the mail at his house about a week ago, and it went straight to him but he was saying that it was meant for the car whilst the previous owner was driving it, if that makes sense. Was weird though at the actual EPA joint the guy had my name down so they confused themselves somewheres

I was told that if the car gets inspected again, once it has passed the noise test and have been found for excessive noise and has a different exhaust it needs to go for a full ADR compliance which costs 500 bucks. Anyone has had experience in this?

Unless the officer is writing down exactly what the exhaust was, diameter for diameter.

Then the EPA dont know, how can they? :blush:

As long as you rockup to the test, with the same exhaust as what was noted on the test prior. Then its instant pass either way.

Unless the officer is writing down exactly what the exhaust was, diameter for diameter.

Then the EPA dont know, how can they? :(

As long as you rockup to the test, with the same exhaust as what was noted on the test prior. Then its instant pass either way.

I forgot to mention its not the officer that told me that, its actually one of the approved noise testers, as I only went for the noise test instead of the full emission test. But yea i guess you are right, I doubt they know the exhaust layout's design, ie , a straight flow as opposed to a standard one with another box before the rear muffler. Thanks for the help

Cheers

Just say you have both a FMIC and PODs and you also have a full engineer certificate what will happen?

will the engineer certifcate allso clear everything including bigger turbos, exhausts, BOV, perfomance mods etc.etc.??

Edited by Shadow01

speaking to a worker from the local exhaust joint tells me under the new VIC LAWS

1st epa free

getting caught and going back to the epa a 2nd time $500bux penalty, because people just keep removing mods=to keep the epa happy then when they get home just put all their mods back on, BOV, pod, loud exhaust whatever is'nt EPA friendly...

speaking to a worker from the local exhaust joint tells me under the new VIC LAWS

1st epa free

getting caught and going back to the epa a 2nd time $500bux penalty, because people just keep removing mods=to keep the epa happy then when they get home just put all their mods back on, BOV, pod, loud exhaust whatever is'nt EPA friendly...

What you were told is in essence correct, however. It all comes down do what is documented by police/epa, and as a direct result of this, what they can prove.

Some people have been asking why police take photos of your car when you are defected, it is so they can keep track of your mods. For example if you are continually defected for 2 intake mods, boost controller and/or ecu but every time you get tested by EPA your car passes they will wonder why you keep getting sent back. If the police can prove that you have these mods usually, but are simply removing them in time for EPA test then you can find yourself in trouble.

I have always found that with EPA it's a case of; 'I'ts not illegal until you get caught'. Many cars pass Mcleod with things they shouldn't, (I have personally passed with atmo BOV, aftermarket ECU and variable boost all at once!) you just need to work out what they look for and what they dont.